mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Help With 1990 Stumpjumper Wheels

My 1990 Stumpjumper project has hit a little snag. I tried putting some newer lighter wheels on this bike but the 9 speed cassette was just way out of alignment, with the front chain rings, due to the extra width. I am fine with the 7 speeds that it came with but since the original BX-23 wheels have a few broken spokes and seem kind of heavy compared to a modern wheel, I have been looking for a way to upgrade. Can anyone recommend a nice , light 26" wheel that will fit my 7 speed cassette? I am sure that this is probably a stupid question but I am just getting into working on my old bikes. I was thinking about the BXL-21 wheels that were on some of the high end Stumpys back in the day but they are hard to find and maybe there is something newer and better that will work. I am about 225 lbs and am into xc style riding. Thanks!

VRC Illuminati
    Putting a 9spd cassette when the rest of your drive train is (I'm assuming) 7spd will be a bit problematic. Nothing wrong with keeping it 7spd. It'll ultimately be cheaper and you can still run a pretty low gear with the right cassette.

Without any pictures, its going to be tough for us to determine what exactly you have going on.

If you're not set on keeping it period correct, you have a ridiculous number of options.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    If your existing 7 speed hub is in good smooth working order, just build a new hoop around it....

Or am I missing something?
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Actually if you have a 9 speed freehub and a 7 speed cassette you are in the best of all positions. I run that and you can get almost whatever chainline you want.

You will need to pick up a few spacers to put on the freehub before you put on the cassette. What you are doing is moving the 7 speed cassette over. I think 4.5mm is the correct amount, but I have set up my bike as a 2x so I use a 3mm. You can get different widths to get the right chainline.

The one thing you may need to do is place a spacer on freehub before you put on the locking ring to take up any difference. You lose the serrated locking with the ring, but when torqued it hasn't been a problem for me.

The only other issue would be the uniglide/hyperglide differences, but I don't think uniglide was still around in 1990.

John

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have to ask, what bottom bracket size are you using up front and what was originally in it? If the spindle width is wider, it'll line your small chainring up with the center of your cassette and throw your chainline off quite a bit. As always, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Going from a 7 speed free wheel to a 9-speed would be equivalent to adding one extra gear space to the outside of the cassette. It shouldn't mess up your chainline that much.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Awesome, thanks for the detailed explanation.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    No, your probably not missing anything. I'm kind of clueless on this stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Watts, it's the original Deore cranks and bottom bracket. Not sure what size. I'll post a pic today. I bought a special tool to remove the bottom bracket but that mother is not moving. I brought it to the bike shop to see if they could get it to move with their 3 foot long wrench, and no way. The mechanic said that it spins fine so I should just leave it be.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Pics

Help With 1990 Stumpjumper Wheels-img_0002_2.jpgHelp With 1990 Stumpjumper Wheels-img_0004_2.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Although it seems extreme, if you're chain is on the middle rings front and back, it looks like they would line up. I do find it odd that the camera angle seems perfectly aligned with the rear cassette, but off when compared to the frame/wheel and front chainrings. It also looks like the cassette is almost rubbing the right dropout. Is this just an optical illusion on my part?

Fat-tired Roadie
    1990 - does that mean the rear is spaced 130 mm? You could build a new wheel on your old hub, and just stick with 7-speed.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Your'e right, the rear cassette almost rubs the dropout but there is just enough space for the chain to fit without rubbing. I think I will stay with 7 speeds and use this wheel with spacers or build a new wheel on my old hub as AndrwSwitch suggested. Thanks for all the great info guys!

mtbr member
    Here is what I am struggling with...

In the top picture you have a 9 speed hub in the frame. Unless someone has spread the dropouts on your frame that hub won't fit if the frame is only 130mm. If it was forced to fit that is a different story. I don't know the actual situation.

If the frame is 135mm then you should be able to use that 9 speed hub with a 7 speed cassette and not have to build up a wheel with you old hub. It is done all the time. I run that setup. Go look up Sheldon Brown's info.

John

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Hi John,
    It was a snug fit but went in without too much effort. The frame is original and has not modified. I'm starting to think that I should build up a wheel with my old hub to avoid creating other problems.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Measure the space between your dropouts. Measure the width over the locknuts of your old hub if you can. It should give you some insight, at least.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Stokeless Asshat
    I would bet money that a 90' Stumpy would have 135mm spacing.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

VRC Illuminati
    135 spacing for sure.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

-bustin punks
    Are you trying to rebuild it stock/original? Shoot me a pm if a pair of stock BX-23/XT wheels (from a 91, but probably close enough?) would work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks Fatchanceti, I have a set of the BX-23's. I'm keeping just about everything original except i'm upgrading the brakes to XTR V brakes, titanium seat post, and wheels which I haven't decided on yet. I wouldn't mind upgrading the crank and bottom bracket but I haven't researched that yet. I'm just getting into the mechanical side of biking. I'm really liking the knowledge and willingness to share, that I have found on this forum. Some cool peeps out there.http://ficdn.mtbr.com/images/smilies/cool.png

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Why not measure your chainline? That amount of cross chain in that gear combo would not bug me at all as I am willing to bet you will find a identical gear on the large chainring in the middle of the cassette.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The chain line should not be that extreme as shown in the pictures, seems like something else is going on. On the seven speed cassette, your smallest cog is still going to be somewhat close to the dropout, as is the nine speed cassette, so to me, it just doesn't look right, especially that extreme bend in your chain.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    you can use your 9 speed hub with the 7 speed cassette. just get a spacer. put that on first to take up the space of the missing gears. would be the same drive spacing. what is the spacing on the front 47mm?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Almost Finished

Help With 1990 Stumpjumper Wheels-img_0010.jpg
    The first test ride went well.

1990 Stumpjumper, Mavic 231 CD rear wheel, XTR hub with 9 speed cassette, 9 Speed XT rear derailleur, XTR v brakes, XTR brake levers, front derailleur original Deore, LX 9 sped shifters, Bontrager Select front wheel, Titec titanium seat post, Rock Shox Mag 21's.

I am really happy with the build. The bike feels just like it did back in 1990 except it stops much better and shifts better. The Mag 21's are pretty flexy so I think I will switch them out with rigid forks, but maybe not. I'll give it a few off road rides to decide. I didn't feel like I was able to put much power to the pedals but when I got home I realized the seat was set back way too far. Looking forward to getting it dialed in then taking it on my trip to California to ride some single track and the Sea Otter Classic. I don't mind bringing up the rear, it's going to be fun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Help With 1990 Stumpjumper Wheels-img_0011.jpgHelp With 1990 Stumpjumper Wheels-img_0009.jpg

mtbr member
    The bike turned out nice. You evidently solved your cassette problem. I think it was a good move to upgrade some of the components. Just makes a good ride better.

You can upgrade that fork with another suspension one, but you'll probably have to find one with a 1" steerer. They do pop up occasionally, but they are in demand.

I have an old Mag 21 (1" steerer) on one of my bikes that I should change the oil on, but I know that the minute I touch that air valve it will be toast. I don't use the bike very much so I just ride it.

John