mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Hello all, Paul here from NZ

New on this forum, looking to talk to some like minded people. I am into 70's,80's,90's stuff mainly early 90's Cross/Hybrid type bikes Diamond back Overdrives, Giant Innova, Nutras, Trek Multi Tracks, though I finding it hard to find them or people into them here in NZ. Anyway if any body has any pics they would like to share, I would love to see them. Thanks
    Last edited by old newbe; 07-19-2013 at 08:35 PM.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Hey Paul. Grumps mentioned that those were your options down there. There's a few guys upside down here and hope they chime in.

Welcome to the forums.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hey, few kiwis here. Also check retrobike where in NZ is Carmen SanDiago ? | Retrobike

More mountain bikes than hybrids thou, welcome

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    girlonbike Thank you for the welcome, I look forward to meeting Grumps through here too. Thanks

clockd Thanks for the reply, I do have a bit of retro MTB's a Muirwoods, Gary Fisher marlin, an Extreme Chaos (NZ made I think) I have another Muirwoods frame that is probably a better fit to me but it has a really stuck BB.
    Filled in the thread on the link you gave. Thanks talk to you on here soon.

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by old newbe View Post
    girlonbike Thank you for the welcome, I look forward to meeting Grumps through here too.
    Trust me, I'm overrated.

I went to New Zealand.

The only things I liked about New Zealand were the awesome mountain biking, the friendly people, the scenery, great food, even better wine, good coffee, the fact that your biggest city has dormant volcanoes dotted throughout, the Maori culture, it's the home of the Finn brothers, it's far less hectic than Sydney, the All Blacks are all-conquering, people forgave me for the underarm bowling incident, ski fields with powdery snow, any structure over 3 storey tall has a bungy platform attached, jetboating down a 3 metre wide gorge is something people do to unwind, and it has a great outdoor lifestyle.

Other than all that, I suppose it's alright.

We have a better harbour bridge, but you have Coromandel Peninsula and the Bay of Islands so I guess you win.

Grumps

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Hey Uncle Grumpy, what I am really getting from your comment is you had a bloody miserable time? LOL

"We have a better harbour bridge, but you have Coromandel Peninsula and the Bay of Islands so I guess you win." . . . .

Grumpy you are forgetting the glacial regions the rain forest and the fact that no more than 3 1/2 hours drive will have you at a very nice beach.
    You guys do have a rather nice "Rock" though, and those Koala bears may well just be a little cute! Not to mention some of your cities and their awesome inner city cycle infrastructures! Top job people. Nice talking to you, all in good fun. Nice.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    I feel warm and fuzzy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Oh, and our Tower is taller.

Paul

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    I feel warm and fuzzy.
    ?????

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    ?????
    You guys are cute!

Seriously though, you do live in a beautiful country. Unfortunately, I was only made aware of it because of LOTR although I've heard of the skiing and volcanoes and everybody know of the All Blacks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Hey girlonbike, I do live in a beautiful country I myself only made fully aware of that when I started working in a bike shop sorting out tourists with touring bikes, we seem to have so much packed into such a small space.
    LOTR was great for NZ it has bought a lot of people travelling over to have a look around which is fantastic, the more the merrier I say!!

All in all a nice welcome Thank you people

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Welcome aboard, Paul!
    I just bought two Schwinn Crosscuts this month--$40 apiece. I pick up this one tomorrow:
    Schwinn Crosscut Bicycle | eBay
    I live in Chicago and was headed get up to Kettle Moraine State Forest this month, and this bike is near there.

I got a later one, like this one (tho not this exact one):
    Men's Schwinn Crosscut
    and it is really ratty, but it's a lot of fun to ride. Mostly I ride the streets and paved trails of the city these days. The Crosscuts are livelier than you'd expect. I like them a lot.

Anyway, I'm going to try to get some bigger tires on them, upgrade components and make one a drop bar bike. I'll post them when done.

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Hey Uncle Grumpy, what I am really getting from your comment is you had a bloody miserable time? LOL
    I had a great time. Watched the All Blacks belt the snot out of the Wallabies on the big screen in a bar in Roto-vegas. At the end (we lost by 468 points I think) EVERYBODY in the bar came past to offer their commiserations. I didn't buy a beer all night (no matter how much I tried) and I was plastered by the time I left.

The MTBing is amazing, and the way trail parks are set up is great. We have a lot to learn on the West Island.

I cried when I had to get back on the plane. Looking forward to getting back one day soon.

Anyway, here in Australia, quality vintage MTBs are thin on the ground. It's hard to find anything pre-1990, especially anything of quality. As for early 90s stuff, the options open up a bit. I have seen Fat Chances, Yetis, Manitous, Fishers, but stuff like that was imported by the original owners. We didn't really get distributors putting out the boutique stuff until the mid 90s.

Sure, it's out there, but the volumes are small.

Grumps

slow
    Welcome to the forum Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grumpy View Post
    I cried when I had to get back on the plane. Looking forward to getting back one day soon.
    We felt that way during both of our visits. On our most recent departure day, our family sat around a lunch table on a sunny deck in Queenstown and debated cancelling our return tickets to the US. However, I understand they would eventually kick us out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Austin Dave, I have not riden, a Crosscut yet, but what got me liking these early performance type Cross bikes is my mates old Diamond Back Overdrive . . .it was a very nippy nimble bike around town and very capable on the gravel track stuff too.

Gary Fisher can't have been wrong when he put knobbly tyres on a 700c road bike type frame when he was thinking about what has now become the 29er.
    A great commuter bike all the way. I think you will really enjoy these bikes long term.

Grumpy, you seem to be crying a bit is everything OK Big Guy?? LOL

That Roto Vegas hospitality has quite a few people leaving a bar feeling like they are walking on someone else's legs!!
    The buggars got me too!

Vintage MTB stuff here is slim on pickings too, the first US MTB's I personally seen for sale (probably not the first year of sale) was the '91 Muirwoods, I feel in love mate I tell ya'!! I used to walk 10 minutes out of my way on the way to and home from school just to look at one in a bike shop window, suffice to say that window got pretty fogged up!?! I need help?!
    23 years later I own one Zolatone over green mmmm!.

We were really restricted by massive import restrictions and hideous fees to import up until then I believe.
    Stuff like early Gary Fishers/Specailized/Giant/Yokota even the odd Ritchey (@#$! missed out on the last one) turn up on Trade Me (NZ's eBay) from time to time, I try to pick them up when I can.
    Speaking of Yokota are they any good?? I have a chance to get a Yosemite??(excuse spelling) I like it but just don't know.

Early MTB's make great touring bikes with the long chain stay . .no heel strike so I grab them whenever I can

sgltrak I think citizenship may be for you?? Queenstown is lovely . . . I will put in a good word for you next time so they will not throw you out.

Thanks to all for the replies. Paul
    Last edited by old newbe; 07-20-2013 at 02:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Austin Dave, I have not riden, a Crosscut yet, but what got me liking these early performance type Cross bikes is my mates old Diamond Back Overdrive . . .it was a very nippy nimble bike around town and very capable on the gravel track stuff too.
    Ya, Paul. That Early Overdrive--was '93 the only year of that "hybrid" incarnation?--remains a great bike. The Overdrive Comp was nicely outfitted, too. I've been looking for a Trek 750/790 (lugged), or a Schwinn Crosscut or Crosspoint for about a year. I'd certainly love a '93 Overdrive or a Bianchi Project 5 or 7, but those tend to pretty scarce in these parts. Those are really nice bikes and if I saw one in my size I'd snap it up.

I like the Crosscuts, and they are cheaper than tires, here. I just picked up that white one (the ebay bike I mentioned earlier) this AM that must have 5 lbs of old accessories on it, but it's in good repair--more so than the other one I got. I'll take the bijoux off it, clean it up and ride these two through fall and collect some parts to upgrade them a little over the winter.

Thanks for the note!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    That Overdrive is something I will own one eventually, I hope they are a very snappy bike I would love one for a commuter (along with the other 3)
    Bianchi is less possible here in NZ I think. I would love one too.
    Thanks Austin.