mtbr member
    Jun 2005

New question here. HEELLLP! threadless stem adaptor

hey guys. the problem that i have is that i have a fork that only accepts a 21.1 quill type stem (not even 22.2). i wanted to use a threadless stem and bought an adaptor, unfortunately, it's a 22.2 to 1 1/8. does anyone know if such a size (21.1 to 1 1/8) adaptor exist? i can even go as far as using a 21.1 to 1 inch and use shims to fit the 1 1/8 stem on it. some LBS says they never even heared of that size, and the smallest being a 22.2. oh btw, the bike is an old beach cruiser (Schwinn Cruiser 5) with forks that are straight, bmx/mtb type, and not the one with curve, so i'd really want to keep using it. any help is greatly appreciated. thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Gladiator
    hey guys. the problem that i have is that i have a fork that only accepts a 21.1 quill type stem (not even 22.2). i wanted to use a threadless stem and bought an adaptor, unfortunately, it's a 22.2 to 1 1/8. does anyone know if such a size (21.1 to 1 1/8) adaptor exist? i can even go as far as using a 21.1 to 1 inch and use shims to fit the 1 1/8 stem on it. some LBS says they never even heared of that size, and the smallest being a 22.2. oh btw, the bike is an old beach cruiser (Schwinn Cruiser 5) with forks that are straight, bmx/mtb type, and not the one with curve, so i'd really want to keep using it. any help is greatly appreciated. thanks.
    The size is the old BMX standard. Its usually called .833". Some early mtbs used it as well. I would highly doubt there is a threadless adapter to this size, however if your somewhat brave you could lathe yours down to the .833" size.