bipolar-roller

Headset help please, Deore XT on '88 MB1

Pulled the old MB1 out from storage to get tuned up for some spring riding and noticed the below in the pics. Anyone have an idea why that part of the headset is rubber and how to replace it?

Thanks!

Headset help please, Deore XT on '88 MB1-img_1138.jpg

Headset help please, Deore XT on '88 MB1-img_1137.jpg
    Get out of the gutter and onto the mountain top.

"I only had like two winekills captain buzzcooler"

the new Gilbert Grape
    I think it is officially time for a new headset on that bike!

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    King, King, King!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux View Post
    I think it is officially time for a new headset on that bike!
    Look at the chain, Time for more than just a headset

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    Arguably the XT is one of worst headsets ever built. That said, I second Mendon's suggestion of a KIng but I think you would have to use a low profile version, iirc the stack height is way lower on the XT vs.CK.

I threw out the Deore version on my Ibis and put in a Tange that was in the toolbox, way better.

Nice bike, I still want an MB1 someday.
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

gobsmacked Moderator
    I also really think you need a new headset. Looks like a lot of stuff is corroded on that wonderful bike so since you're pulling the headset off, may we gently suggest you pull everything off and spray the tubes with some frame saver?

bipolar-roller
    New head set it is. Thanks all!

As much as I would like a King, that's probably out of the budget as I am looking to get a San Marco Rolls saddle that won't be cheap. I found a ritchey logic low profile 1" threaded in black online that I think will fit the bill. However, I am open to other suggestions. (I actually have a new threaded 1" Aheadset, but it is silver, not black.)

Chain is also being replaced and I am splurging a little for my birthday and having my lbs do the work for me. I really like the way this bike rides and it fits my 6'3 frame very well, so I am planning on using it a lot this summer and I think a professional tune up will be worth it. Plus, headsets and BBs are two things I like having the lbs do.

However, I just called the lbs to ask what headsets they can source and also asked about the frame saver. The shop guy said he has heard of it, but knows nothing about it and has never used it. However, he is not the tech working on my bike. He's off today.

If they replace the headset, it sounds like that is when the frame saver should be sprayed on. Should the BB be pulled also?

Thanks!
    Get out of the gutter and onto the mountain top.

"I only had like two winekills captain buzzcooler"

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrackmack View Post
    New head set it is. Thanks all!

However, I just called the lbs to ask what headsets they can source and also asked about the frame saver. The shop guy said he has heard of it, but knows nothing about it and has never used it. However, he is not the tech working on my bike. He's off today.

If they replace the headset, it sounds like that is when the frame saver should be sprayed on. Should the BB be pulled also?

Thanks!
    Dang youngsters of the aluminum and carbon age! If the LBS does not carry Framesaver, go to your local hardware shop and look for LPS-3. Basically the same thing, spray the dries to a waxy rust inhibiting coating. it works the same, I did a little test myself taking cut pieces of steel frame tube, spraying with Framesaver and LPS3 and then immersing in water and saltwater. I couldn't detect much difference, they both worked about same. Its not rocket science, you could do most of it yourself, except for the tubes where you need to take out parts to access, like the headtube and bottom bracket. Steel frames usually have small vent holes in the ends, stick spray nozzle tube in and spray generously. Tilt the frame around to get the fluid to spread around and try to coat as much of the tubes as possible. The top tube you should be able to take the seatpost out and see the vent hole on the inside. The bottom tube is the challenge, the holes for that are at heatube or bottom bracket, although the water bottle bolt holes might be open and you can spray in from there.