Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC

Has FTW Ever Made a Drop Bar Yeti Stem?

Yup....

(better pics):

Thanks Frank...it's pretty damn cool.

Steve
    Last edited by eastcoaststeve; 02-21-2013 at 10:32 PM.

Certified Bike Junkie
    Cool. What's it going on?
    Need: McMahon brake for roller cam mounts, Mountain Goat fork.

VRC Illuminati
    He has now?
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

velocipede technician
    Looks a little low for a dd setup
    looking for 20-21" P team

Subcribing. With worry...

But different could be good.

Why would you own 100 Yugos when you could own 1 Porsche? - Rumpfy

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by hollister View Post
    Super tall headtube?
    -eric-

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hollister View Post
    Yeah, it really does but people have tried with a lot lower. I'm looking forward to seeing the set up though.

Speakin' of colkervision. I hope he's okay. No word since the day after his crash.

Ok, the story behind the stem....

It's all Tim's fault

He's had Frank make a stem for his son's Yeti project, and Frank happened to have some steel left over. Naturally the FTW groupie in me couldn't resist asking him to knock together another stem. He said he'd be glad to, but didn't have the aluminum bits, would I be ok with just the bare stem? Just so happens, I already had a top cap and wedge from a previously silly ebay purchase, so it seemed to be a no brainer.
    Frank asked what I wanted size-wise, and not having a particular project in mind (but not wanting to pass up the opportunity to have the man make me a stem), I asked what my options were...he basically said anything I wanted..clean slate, he could even do a drop bar version. Well, that sounded too cool to turn down. I told him I'd check some measurements and get back to him, but I thought something in line with what JT might have used would be sweet. (He thought so too). Anyway, like I said before, since there was no particular build/frame/set up in the works, I told Frank to just have fun with it and surprise me. He told me he had used a set of John's drops on one of his bikes back in the day, and had some pictures he'd scan up later (Frank if you are reading this...post 'em up buddy). I've looked at a buch of pics of John's drop bar bikes (the ones he actually rode), and it looks like he prefered a much lower stem than what is fashionable or universally accepted...so I think this stem is right on the mark.

Besides, for now, the only place it's going is on my desk. I'll enjoy looking at it and knowing Frank made it just for me....can't go wrong there, and maybe one of these days it will end up on a bike and I can pretend I'm not slow and old.

Steve
    Last edited by eastcoaststeve; 02-21-2013 at 05:51 PM.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    I am so freaking impressed. I'm also impressed that you called JT, John! Buddies!

Didn't John have a lower setup because there were no stems specifically for dirt drop bars?

In any case, I am super happy for you and can't stress enough how you need to jam it in something and get it on a bike this summer.

I feel like we're the luckiest mountain bikers in the world because we live in a time where we have the history behind us and most of those guys are still around and are open to our communications with them. Steve, Charlie, Ross, Frank, Tom, Rody, Otis, Paul, etc. A lot of them are still making bikes and can still make cool things for the people around the globe that wants it.

G,

You're probably right on JT using what was available at the time, but I'm sure if he wanted a taller stem, someone would have gladly made one for him.

Yeah, I'd love to build a bike around it this summer, but it's not likely (I have a much less impressive build in the works now, lol).

With you 100% on how lucky we are to have the pioneers around (posting and building).
    Getting an email on my phone during the day from FTW is a rush I have a hard time explaining to guys who weren't around in the 80's/90's. I still feel like the kid on his beat Trek who dreamed of one day owning a bike like the ones Frank was building for the pros.

Steve

VRC Illuminati
    Correct height LD/Gooseneck/Drop bar stems were available at the time for sure. Salsa P7 adn P10's....

The often mimic'ed JT set up is due to the fact that he wanted a set up on his mountain bike that put him in the same/similar riding position to his road bike as he was doing double duty at the time.

Its not really an ideal or 'correct' drop bar position, generally speaking. But since Tomac is the man, he can pretty much do whatever he wants and kick ass while doing it.

As for the stem and back story above...way cool. Project bikes have been started around a lot less! I hope you find a project for it ECS! I vote drop bar Ultimate!
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    Correct height LD/Gooseneck/Drop bar stems were available at the time for sure. Salsa P7 adn P10's....

The often mimic'ed JT set up is due to the fact that he wanted a set up on his mountain bike that put him in the same/similar riding position to his road bike as he was doing double duty at the time.

Its not really an ideal or 'correct' drop bar position, generally speaking. But since Tomac is the man, he can pretty much do whatever he wants and kick ass while doing it.

As for the stem and back story above...way cool. Project bikes have been started around a lot less! I hope you find a project for it ECS! I vote drop bar Ultimate!
    What Rumpfy said. Drop bars on mtbs pre-date JT's use of them by a long shot.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Well, there ya go! In stereo even.

Thanks E, and FB...that makes a lot of sense.
    Drop bar Ultimate would be very cool...hmmmm.

BTW:
    Frank has mentioned that he plans to make another run of stems this Summer if anybody is interested...might be a good idea to contact him soon.

Steve

mtbr member
    Cool story ECS! Hope you find the frame to fit it on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eastcoaststeve View Post
    Thanks E, and FB...that makes a lot of sense.
    Drop bar Ultimate would be very cool...hmmmm.

BTW:
    Frank has mentioned that he plans to make another run of stems this Summer if anybody is interested...might be a good idea to contact him soon.

Steve
    There was a Yeti team rider that used drops named Aaron Cox aka Drew Blood. Was probably 86 or 87 on a FRO. I think there are pictures floating around this forum somewhere. On a FRO I think they'd look great, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around an Ultimate with drop bars for some reason. Does not compute.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed View Post
    I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around an Ultimate with drop bars for some reason. Does not compute.
    Me too. I tried to picture it and came up empty.

velocipede technician
    There was a Yeti team rider that used drops named Aaron Cox aka Drew Blood. Was probably 86 or 87 on a FRO. I think there are pictures floating around this forum somewhere. On a FRO I think they'd look great, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around an Ultimate with drop bars for some reason. Does not compute.
    Catching air on the tan bike

I gotta go find that now
    looking for 20-21" P team

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Speakin' of colkervision. I hope he's okay. No word since the day after his crash.
    He's good. In transit at the moment is all.

Neat stem!
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

mtbr member
    Steve,
    It's always nice to be an enabler!

Paybacks are rough. Absolutely I would build a bike around that stem.

I appreciate the heck out of FTW making time to do a little old school and make my son a stem.

Not sure if I posted this here or not but check out Franks blog here for some good pics of him making the stem:

Totally random and Yeti era stem | Frank The Welder

And after powder:

And getting ready for Keyesville:

Last edited by tductape; 02-22-2013 at 02:11 PM.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    I am so freaking impressed. I'm also impressed that you called JT, John! Buddies!

Didn't John have a lower setup because there were no stems specifically for dirt drop bars?

In any case, I am super happy for you and can't stress enough how you need to jam it in something and get it on a bike this summer.

I feel like we're the luckiest mountain bikers in the world because we live in a time where we have the history behind us and most of those guys are still around and are open to our communications with them. Steve, Charlie, Ross, Frank, Tom, Rody, Otis, Paul, etc. A lot of them are still making bikes and can still make cool things for the people around the globe that wants it.
    Yes, cool that we can work with most of these guys, although I'm not sure who the Rody is on this list? Don't forget Herting. And Scot Nicol and KB, although no longer building, they're very helpful with the vintage inquiries on their old stuff.

mtbr member
    I imagine she means Rody Walter. Not quite an old school builder, but nonetheless: Home
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

mtbr member
    Yes, cool that we can work with most of these guys, although I'm not sure who the Rody is on this list? Don't forget Herting. And Scot Nicol and KB, although no longer building, they're very helpful with the vintage inquiries on their old stuff.
    Let's not forget Brent. Often overlooked but an amazing builder, and very helpful. Plus he's in my backyard.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yo-Nate-y View Post
    I imagine she means Rody Walter. Not quite an old school builder, but nonetheless: Home
    oh yeah. What is his history? Grove?

Stokeless Asshat
    Garro. Although he's only been building for a dozen years or so, he was one of the original "hard men" of the 80's. Steel, brazed and bad ass. I have nothing but respect for him.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast