artistic...

The hardtail is dead!

Is there anything more vintage than this everyday cry from mtnbike action?
    The louder they yelled the longer hardtails lived.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    I don't know if it's really that vintage, it's a pretty current line they run as well. Maybe it's a timeless call they keep making, thus making it more "classic" than "vintage".

Probably not a popular sentiment, but MBAction irritates me.

The hardtail is dead, they cried. Then it was "the 29er has saved the hardtail". Then back to "the hardtail is dead" while they rave about the responsiveness of a hardtail three pages later.

I think they may have had an issue where they weren't selling pump tracks as the ultimate training tool and/or the solution to every riders failing.

And if Specialized put wheels on a dog turd, they'd rave about it like there's no tomorrow.

I've seen them comment on a bike having elegant cable routing along the top tube and in the same issue, a bike from a less popular brand was labelled as having cludgey cable routing along the top tube.

Gees, god forbid anyone just enjoy riding a bike without having to worry about whether the suspension system is "the latest" and how old the derailleurs are...

Grumps

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grumpy View Post
    I don't know if it's really that vintage, it's a pretty current line they run as well. Maybe it's a timeless call they keep making, thus making it more "classic" than "vintage".

The hardtail is dead, they cried. Then it was "the 29er has saved the hardtail". Then back to "the hardtail is dead" while they rave about the responsiveness of a hardtail three pages later.

I think they may have had an issue where they weren't selling pump tracks as the ultimate training tool and/or the solution to every riders failing.

And if Specialized put wheels on a dog turd, they'd rave about it like there's no tomorrow.

I've seen them comment on a bike having elegant cable routing along the top tube and in the same issue, a bike from a less popular brand was labelled as having cludgey cable routing along the top tube.

Gees, god forbid anyone just enjoy riding a bike without having to worry about whether the suspension system is "the latest" and how old the derailleurs are...

Grumps
    Yes... they never make any sense. Self congratulatory, sold out, could not care less about riding as a spiritual experience kind of writting in that mag. Not to mention failing to predict anything technical.

Sneaker man
    Yep, in the...early 2000's maybe, well all of the 2000's I felt bad becaseu I was riding a HT and basically MBAimplied that if you weren't riding FS then you weren't a mtber...
    Now it's 29er...no wait, 27.5... no, no we meant 29er phew nearly got that wrong...

s
    Yep, they raved about the Epic FS when it came out so much, I actually bought one (mag peer pressure i guess), that bike sent me back to a HT so fast...

And reviews, bike is sold as a frame only, but lets not talk about the frame and how it rides, lets spend the whole article bitching about the parts that came on it.

hmmm... why do I read it, i guess thats my own fault for being stupid...
    All the gear and no idea.

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    Yep, in the...early 2000's maybe, well all of the 2000's I felt bad becaseu I was riding a HT and basically MBAimplied that if you weren't riding FS then you weren't a mtber...
    Now it's 29er...no wait, 27.5... no, no we meant 29er phew nearly got that wrong...
    Get with the times. 29er and 27.5 are dead, man. It's 29-Plus and 27.5-Plus now. 2.3" tyres are so 2015. If you're riding plus size treads then you're missing out of the plushest, sweetest ride you can, not to mention the benefits of traction you get from a plus size tyre. Get with the times!

And that's the thing that irritates me. They are such a reflection of an industry that seems to keep inventing product standards for the hell of it. If you don't have 1x11 or 1x12 on a plus sized tyre that is no smaller than a 27.5, with a 35mm handlebar clamp and a dropper post - you either can't ride modern trails or you won't enjoy it. Question for them - how did we get here if we didn't enjoy 3x6, 7, 8, 9 with 26x2.1 tyres and 25.4mm bars and a fixed seatpost? Surely we would have given up years ago?

Don't get me wrong, I know we have some awesome bikes and products these days but gimme a break. That's why I like this forum, so much shared respect for the bikes of the past and the stories and people behind them. MBA might share that view but on the face of it, they're happier being a catalog.

Grumps

No known cure
    Get with the times. 29er and 27.5 are dead, man. It's 29-Plus and 27.5-Plus now. 2.3" tyres are so 2015. If you're riding plus size treads then you're missing out of the plushest, sweetest ride you can, not to mention the benefits of traction you get from a plus size tyre. Get with the times!

And that's the thing that irritates me. They are such a reflection of an industry that seems to keep inventing product standards for the hell of it. If you don't have 1x11 or 1x12 on a plus sized tyre that is no smaller than a 27.5, with a 35mm handlebar clamp and a dropper post - you either can't ride modern trails or you won't enjoy it. Question for them - how did we get here if we didn't enjoy 3x6, 7, 8, 9 with 26x2.1 tyres and 25.4mm bars and a fixed seatpost? Surely we would have given up years ago?

Don't get me wrong, I know we have some awesome bikes and products these days but gimme a break. That's why I like this forum, so much shared respect for the bikes of the past and the stories and people behind them. MBA might share that view but on the face of it, they're happier being a catalog.

Grumps
    I see very few of these mass produced plastic bikes being classics in the future
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    I see very few of these mass produced plastic bikes being classics in the future
    That might be right, time will tell. That's one of things with evolution rather than revolution, nothing is ground breaking.

I love my Santa Cruz Bronson. Carbon frame, light, agile, great geometry and capable handler. Of course, it's already outdated with its 2x10 and non-plus size tyres and non-boost axle, but it's a great bike that I love to ride. I'm sure if I had a Yeti or an Ibis or a Pivot etc that I'd be saying the same things.

Does being a capable bike and all that make it a future classic, especially when the current market is flooded with 6" travel, 12.5kg carbon uberbikes? Nope.

Does that matter to AMB who think from issue to issue and can't see past the next Interbike? Nope.

Grumps

Sneaker man

Grumps
    Dude! This is the VRC forum, I can't be even close to that up to date!!!!

My Scott Spark has a 2.4 up front, had a 2.4 in the rear, but it's too big, now a 2.2. Trails I was riding today (Derby), the 2.4 was really good, but the trails I normally ride, are sort of small rocky, the 2.4's hook up on the edge of rocks and arn't good (for me), my Zaskar has 2.0's and is perfect. If I had 2.8 I'd probably chuck the bike away.

Also funny, had many 2.1's back in the day and still have an old 2.2 dart somewhere that I never used much as I just didn't like the width then...

Co Springs

Grumps
    I noticed the same and commented a few weeks ago on another thread ..... Bike review that in the same breath was a responsive, plush ride and then rattles and clunky because it was a hardtail. Just seems to me these folks get paid for putting words on paper.
    Continuity, accuracy or meaningful gospel be damned.

I still have my 91 HardRock; Rigid, steel 3x7 but admit I'm looking to go near plus size on the 26" tires. Wide as what fits !
    My creaking body likes a bit of compliance on that one or either of my h/t bikes.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    Ahhh....

If your bike(s) isn't a 2017 model (says he, that's recently acquired 2x 2017 whips), you're so not kewl!!

Although, technical I'm only 50% kewl o_0

One is a 140mm HT 29er & the other is a 160mm 27.5 Enduro rig :sarweet:

The 27.5-er has yet to taste dirt...

Getting it set up just so, before I jump aboard and ruin the mystery >.<

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    Ahhh....

If your bike(s) isn't a 2017 model (says he, that's recently acquired 2x 2017 whips), you're so not kewl!!

Although, technical I'm only 50% kewl o_0

One is a 140mm HT 29er & the other is a 160mm 27.5 Enduro rig :sarweet:

The 27.5-er has yet to taste dirt...

Getting it set up just so, before I jump aboard and ruin the mystery >.<

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    Hah hah ...
    Yeah, I'm down to a minuscule percent of coolness also.... got modernized in 2003 to sus fork and v-brakes, then again a few months ago;
    '17 steel h/t
    27.5 plus
    disc brakes - WEEEE
    1x11

Keeping the 91 just to be partly cool won't really work for me unless I ride it though. Thus it will be getting some new tricks.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

artistic...
    As long as a bike is agile on it´s wheels i am having fun. It´s been like this since 1989. I used to ride on east coast type trails meaning steep, rocks, roots, slippery off camber, dark, humid... Not anymore. Not the right place for a 29er. A fat bike would be fun. Suspension always felt imprecise then but current technology would be better. Fact is: i had fun. It was hard then and it would be hard now. Almost every bicycle is a joy to ride. If you are not having fun, it´s probably your fault.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    I'm just done reading any cycling magazines at all.

For the above reasons.

I wouldn't even mind the modern stuff if they could tamp down the rate of purported innovation.

The industry got computers, and now acts with regards to product development, like a sweaty palmed 15 year old who just got his hands down his girlfriends pants for the first time. Must move faster, this could all be over in 10 seconds....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    If you are not having fun, it´s probably your fault.
    Like I always tell people, a bad day on the bike still beats a good day in the office.

Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    like a sweaty palmed 15 year old who just got his hands down his girlfriends pants for the first time.
    Ummm, I want to hear more from MCS.

Grumps

the new Gilbert Grape
    In the July issue of MBA there's an editorial on page 12 written by Mike Wirth titled "Quit Reinventing the Wheel - Literally" that talks about the ridiculous speed of "inovation" currently and how it's hurting the industry.

I don't often read bike magazines any more but bought this one due to the NAHBS coverage article. It was nice to see at least one journalist calling out the over development of new standards by the industry.

I'm actually a fan of the plus sized bike, but also still like non-plus sized bikes too. I have no issue with moving things forward and change, but I dislike the notion that everyone needs the latest and greatest. Under certain conditions some changes offer improvements, but under some conditions the same change is worse than what it replaces. Stop marketing bikes as revolutionizing the industry, and market them as another good bike just like the numerous good bikes that already exist
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Like I always tell people, a bad day on the bike still beats a good day in the office.

Ummm, I want to hear more from MCS.

Grumps
    Maybe you can change your s/n to Uncle Gropey?
    Life is too short to ride a bike you don't love.

^lol!^

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    A hardtail 29er with standard 2.1" tires will always be my go to for overall speed and performance. No matter what new stuff comes about, if it does not get down a trail faster it aint better.

artistic...
    I don´t get why anyone spends 3hrs a day on line just to ridicule 26in wheels on cycling forums.. just to step down from 29ers and shout 3hrs a day onlie how great 27.5 is. It´s the same guy who only rides full suspension then he is on rigid singlespeeds but quits everything to buy a low trail 650B road bike.
    I believe social media is human entropy at it´s best.

artistic...
    I forgot the guy who needs disc brakes like air to breath but rides a brakeless fixed gear in his streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigjunk1 View Post
    A hardtail 29er with standard 2.1" tires will always be my go to for overall speed and performance. No matter what new stuff comes about, if it does not get down a trail faster it aint better.
    Don't try 29+ then, cause you'll be buying a new steed...

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Don't try 29+ then, cause you'll be buying a new steed...
    I have little interest in plus tires, my 29x2.1's grip and ride very nicely. I am interested in speed and my bike is a rocket as is.

VRC Illuminati
    27.5+ hardtails with 'enduro' style geometry are wildly popular right now. MBA doesn't know sh!t.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

I have little interest in plus tires, my 29x2.1's grip and ride very nicely. I am interested in speed and my bike is a rocket as is.
    I get it, less grip, and less speed than what's possible, is what you're after, all good! :P

Eric, yep, + is finally taking hold, and for good reason (not for any VRC reasons though, beyond fun being the first reason we all ride). Now I can be retro grouchy and gripe about the fact that 29+ was first, but the industry glommed onto B+ instead, silly wankers...

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

artistic...
    Now I can be retro grouchy and gripe about the fact that 29+ was first, but the industry glommed onto B+ instead, silly wankers...
    Surly was first w/ the Krampus. As they do all the time. Surly is always miles ahead of the game.

artistic...
    I get it, less grip, and less speed than what's possible, is what you're after, all good! :P
    You are probably right and I am probably wrong but how you ride.. your style on taking the trail and finding traction upsets the facts. A light, rigid 29er w/ 2.1 tires in the right hands will fly.

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    My next bike is gonna be a 650b, hardtail most likely. There isn't any doubt in my mind that the 29ers (damn those things) are a lot faster than 26", at the Chainbreaker in Bend that course totally suited them. Plus, my '12 RM Element 70 is a tank at climbing, jesus I need help at getting my ass up hills on that thing.

The eighteen mile Ashland Hill Climb this coming August I'm using my '91 Ibis, no silly shocks and thinking I'll put my 30 tooth on the 74bcd with a 12-36 8spd rear end. I think I can get my Shimano 600EX RD from 87 to handle it.

I agree, the hardtail is dead! I say we go back to rigid like it's supposed to be.
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

No known cure

Eric, yep, + is finally taking hold, and for good reason (not for any VRC reasons though, beyond fun being the first reason we all ride). Now I can be retro grouchy and gripe about the fact that 29+ was first, but the industry glommed onto B+ instead, silly wankers...
    Horses for courses. Twentyniners are not as nimble in twisty, rollercoaster, narrow singletrack. I'm faster on a 26 than friends on 29s. Around here.

On the Cannell trail I watched a Intense 29er roll right away from me through a babyhead rock garden, but I won't buy a 29er just because of that.

Co Springs
    +

That's a fair assessment.
    It's good to share the virtues of what you ride and why you like it in that introspective way.
    I enjoy seeing other's bikes as I have with other's choice for cars and motorcycles. Def can appreciate what's out there and different but to me, the key is these folks that are happy if not ecstatic about what they have and enjoying it.

In my instance, I go as fast as I'm comfortable with and since I'm not competing or seeking speed beyond what I know I can attain on mine, your mention of the 29 benefit/s more or less reassures me the clodhopper bike I have is the better choice for me.

Co Springs

The hardtail is dead!

The hardtail is dead!

Somebody tell the factory

I'm probably out of touch now because I'm remembering back a few month's to getting my latest bike. A few months in bike industry terms might be 2 generations. H T could very well be vapor-locked.

I went to the lbs with a bit of basics on new trends with bikes and (me) warming up to the idea I might justify getting something - the next bike after my 2003 purchase of a v-brake alum hardtail.

One bike on display stood out and I either already knew something of it or was drawn to it by coincidence. I'd been looking at 'adventure' type bikes claiming to have trail bike angles, bike-pack friendly features and all' round good manners and durability. Most were steel-framed 27.5 plus with extra frame points for add-on cages, luggage etc...

I test rode this large size bike (They had to get it down from the display props!!) and it felt like a pretty good fit but the option to ride a medium wasn't in the cards that day.

In the parking lot riding the bike around, a few of the store staff were either going out for lunch or getting back. As sales staff do, they were all friendly, smiling and chatty but in numerous separate occasions almost all of them claimed to love that bike I was on and were either thinking of getting one to add to their collection or in the wait to get on a list to buy one since they were selling quite fast and employees could not yet buy them ahead of customer demand.
    It all sounded rather exciting but I'd been in sales or marketing for 2 1/2 lifetimes so I know a few of the tricks.

A run of sales on these bikes or simply a very slow build to meet demand might have been the case.
    They couldn't get their hands on a medium and the one they had new in the box to build for me as a test ride was sold before I got there (I live 6 minutes away and got a call to come and test ride it only to find it was gone).

At their normal $100 off retail and another $100 off, I decided to buy the large with the understanding I would be back as soon as a medium showed up so I could do the comparison. I tried a Tokul medium but I really wanted to ride the same bike in both formats to erase any doubts.

A day or two later, they called and I went in to not only test ride the medium, but to swap the bikes as the medium felt right and not too small.

Still, to this day I do not see any in inventory and wonder if truly it is a hot ticket in this particular market area. I'd been with a friend shopping other bikes and another sales person in that well respected lbs barley recognized 27.5 existed and that they weren't right for this area.

Suspicions arise-
    Out there on trails these days, I naturally expect to see a few of these orange-red beasts since they are selling so fast the paint is still wet but no, not much out there on the trails. It's easily explained though.... how tough is it to paint a bike and put other decals or names on it .... I mean Really ! I probably pass a lot of them on the trails without ever knowing.
    Or maybe a salesman quit the store so he could buy a up a whole bunch of them at once . He probably has them in storage somewhere.
    Last edited by bachman1961; 06-20-2017 at 01:18 AM. Reason: correction

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Yeti discontined hardtail after 2016 Arc C. I don't think Ibis will make another hardtail after the Tranny. So the HT is apparently being abandoned by some manufacturers.

I guess they're going for the more expensive FS bikes which also need rear shock service & of course, upgrades!!

Newer is better

I like my 29er hardtail.

Certainly where you ride comes into account, but the "29'ers are slower in tight twisty etc" is simply not knowing how to ride one, as they do require a different style, technique, whatever you want to call it.

Pretty much all I ride here in the northeast is tight twisty technical, and for me, each successive increase in diameter has found me going faster, with more control and comfort.

Whatever blows your hair back, but they aren't slower, they just don't ride the same, and folks who for whatever personal internal motivations, choose to come up with excuses for why they ride little wheels, always say the same thing.

Then we ride, and no one gives a sh*t.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Old stye bikes that are popular in this forum are dead, not the hard tail. With some love for our old Fat Chances and our modern Honzo I do keep an eye on what people make. It seems almost universal that builders still making low production and custom bikes are doing it around larger wheels and different geometry.

This past weekend our IMBA chapter had a swap meet at a brewery beer garden. I was surprised that some brought almost truck full loads of their old bikes. Not one bike average 1980s - early 200s 26 inch hard tail sold at prices as low as $50.

All I really care about is the sport not being dead. I love it when people are riding and smiling. I have a strong bias for the two modern bikes we have and a dear friend feels same about his approx 25 year old Jamis where time and parts availability has forced the poor guy to have a fork with disk brake mounts.

MBA isn't the only source of crazy biased and over promo. One of the swap meet dudes with van full of old bikes had old magazines, brochures and posters. The industry has always had writers doing their best to sell stuff and make new sales.

A lot of times I think volunteering to support MTB is more dead than types of bikes.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Amen, MCS.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by klasse View Post
    Yeti discontined hardtail after 2016 Arc C. I don't think Ibis will make another hardtail after the Tranny. So the HT is apparently being abandoned by some manufacturers.

I guess they're going for the more expensive FS bikes which also need rear shock service & of course, upgrades!!

Newer is better

I like my 29er hardtail.
    Full suspension bikes have got better and lighter over time. Some can lock out the rear so well now that they basically become a hardtail if desired. Full suspension does weigh more and cost more and has drawbacks as well.
    Most people jump on the newest thing even if it does not actually help them with riding. When full suspension, plus and fat tires, 1x etc. are what people praise on line and are willing to spend money on companies are going to follow what they can sell and make the most money on. Having a bike that your proud of and confident with likely does ride better for people. I think a hardtail 29er with standard size tires is the peak of speed and ability and can not be beat by any other bike in the proper hands. I also think full suspension and bigger tires make riding easier for most and that can improve the experience and ability of a rider.
    Nothing wrong with having the newest and most elaborate bike you can get but there is a limit to what improvements will produce real results.

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    Ouch, that hurts but it's fairly accurate. Oddly there are quite a few rigid bikes out on the race course still, but geometry and frame materials have certainly changed.

The sport is far from dead, it just is the XC part that is lagging. No one seems interested in being on the bike straight for 2-4 hours is what I take, the same can be said for road racing this year, numbers are way down.
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

mtbr member
    I suppose if i was racing like I was “back in the day”, I’d have the latest carbon, disk brake, 29r, etc etc. Because I did that in the 90s: V-brakes, Rockshox, gripshift, CNC everything...But my racing days are over, so I’m happy riding my old stuff, and laughing as I pass the “new” bikes on technical trails where I ride.

And I really, really hate the look of the “pre-bent down tube” newer bikes have.

But, to each their own. Ride what you like, and don’t slam anyone for doing the same.

I have years of old MBA mags, and they seemed to live off “blank vs blank” arguments. When my crew was riding together, we never got into deep discussion of aluminum vs steel, ---we were focussing on having fun, not stupid debates.

gobsmacked Moderator
    This argument is just like the wheel size argument with everybody on the internet passionately claiming that their opinion is the final word. Everybody is an expert. And yet, things keep fluctuating back and forth like the tide. Whatever. I just ride my bikes. There's something for everybody.

VRC Hound
    Bitching about how crappy MBA's coverage about bikes is vintage. Ask Zap about his thoughts about my editorials to him over the years. Typically the answer is a single finger salute. :P

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by bushpig View Post
    Bitching about how crappy MBA's coverage about bikes is vintage. Ask Zap about his thoughts about my editorials to him over the years. Typically the answer is a single finger salute. :P
    And the hardtail never died.

VRC Hound
    It never did.

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by unicrown junkie View Post
    My next bike is gonna be a 650b, hardtail most likely. There isn't any doubt in my mind that the 29ers (damn those things) are a lot faster than 26", at the Chainbreaker in Bend that course totally suited them. Plus, my '12 RM Element 70 is a tank at climbing, jesus I need help at getting my ass up hills on that thing.

The eighteen mile Ashland Hill Climb this coming August I'm using my '91 Ibis, no silly shocks and thinking I'll put my 30 tooth on the 74bcd with a 12-36 8spd rear end. I think I can get my Shimano 600EX RD from 87 to handle it.

I agree, the hardtail is dead! I say we go back to rigid like it's supposed to be.
    I had to google that hill climb. Wow. The road to the top of Mt Ashland is brutal. The icing on the cake though is hauling a on the super d course back to Lithia Park which is another 40 minutes of pain.

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    And the hardtail never died.
    Not even labored breathing !

No known cure

Newer is better

I like my 29er hardtail.
    Funny you mention the Tranny. It's one modern plastic frame that i think is a classic. Even the 26" frames get bid up and sell fast on the 'bay. It's a great riding bike, but it's possible riders are after them as a travel bike because the frame breaks down. Hopefully we see one in 27.5.

artistic...

Newer is better

I like my 29er hardtail.
    The all road bike is the future...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My last 3 bikes

6 years ago, Geared rigid 29 hardtail
    4 years ago, Geared Full Susp
    3.5 years ago- Hung up geared FS
    3 Months ago, Geared SS 27.5 hardtail with couplers
    2 months ago- gave away FS

So basically I have 2 rigid bikes now, a geared 29er and a ss 27.5. Both with "old school" geometry, the 27.5 even has a 120 stem. They are both an absolute blast to ride, I wouldn't say sofa smooth but definitelyt silky and both handle just about perfect and very similarly. I find that the 29 has a little more corner grip (both with 2.25 ardents) and is a little faster (but that could just be the gears.) The 650 is wayyyyyy easier to flick rocks off the trail and is a little more fun around corners due to a little less grip (a little more 2 wheel drift going on.)

I never had as much fun on my Pivot, maybe it was setup but I think it was just the slightly vague feeling the squishiness gives.

I will be sticking with hardtails and "skinny" tires. I may try another front susp bike eventually but for now I am pretty content. The magazines hate people like me.

Sneaker man
    I got out on my HT today and smashed a bunch of PR's... geez it was fun, hadn't ridden this bike for ages, it's just so fast, so direct. I do like my FS bike(Spark 710) it's pretty comfy and it does climb well... well with my fitness/power you can grind up climbs in seated comfort where as i'm not at a point where I can power some rough steep pinches on the HT (although being 15kg lighter than a few months ago sure helps).
    I find when just out riding the FS bike is great, like 7-8/10ths, but when I wind it up to 10/10ths, I just don't trust the FS bike, there's too much going on, where the HT just gets up and goes and I know exactly what it'll do, it skimms over rocky sections I plow through on the FS bike (when I mean 10/10, I just mean my ability, whch is about 5/10ths of actual fast people).

Co Springs
    I'm kind of excited to get those softer tires on my rigid.... it had city commuter tires and I'm anxious to get it to trail and path duty and adding 2.2 's. I'll have it done later today.

- Old Spec 4130 with wider feet.

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by AKamp View Post
    My last 3 bikes

So basically I have 2 rigid bikes now, a geared 29er and a ss 27.5. Both with "old school" geometry, the 27.5 even has a 120 stem. They are both an absolute blast to ride, I wouldn't say sofa smooth but definitelyt silky and both handle just about perfect and very similarly. I find that the 29 has a little more corner grip (both with 2.25 ardents) and is a little faster (but that could just be the gears.) The 650 is wayyyyyy easier to flick rocks off the trail and is a little more fun around corners due to a little less grip (a little more 2 wheel drift going on.)

I never had as much fun on my Pivot, maybe it was setup but I think it was just the slightly vague feeling the squishiness gives.

I will be sticking with hardtails and "skinny" tires. I may try another front susp bike eventually but for now I am pretty content. The magazines hate people like me.
    Good post

mtbr member
    I've been on a soft tail Moots since '99. A 26er, 69er, and my latest is 29er. Hardtails are painful

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker View Post
    I've been on a soft tail Moots since '99. A 26er, 69er, and my latest is 29er. Hardtails are painful
    I think most magazines would throw the "soft tail" into the same catagory as a "hard tail". Unfortunately you would still be obsolete.
    Last edited by AKamp; 06-28-2017 at 08:52 PM.

artistic...
    I think most magazines would through the "soft tail" into the same catagory as a "hard tail". Unfortunately you would still be obsolete.
    Oh yeah.

SMR
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The hardtail is dead!-img_0618.jpg
    My 27.5 Yo Eddy is pretty sweet old F/S bike not seeing much trail time

slower than you
    My last 3 bikes

[snip]

Like you, I let go of my one and only FS bike a few months ago. Traded it for this original Lyle Motley mixed media oil on panel, entitled A Serious Man. With the wire and hand-brazed steel it measures 64″ x 16″. We really dig it.

The hardtail is dead!-motley_lg_seriousman-1024x275.jpg

Lyle got my 2011 Epic 29er, a very rideable bike which never really suited me.

I just got a Specialized Fuse mid-fat hardtail so that I would have something to ride when I head out with my fast friends. Longest, lowest, and slackest bike I've ever ridden, but it rips. I'll be sticking with hardtails, too. But, for my "fast" bike, I'm keeping my big tires (suspension fork and dropper post).
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/