Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ariolimax columbianus

handsome retro vintage xoxo

http://www.bikerumor.com/2010/09/14/...ndsome-cycles/

found this cruising on some of my daily internets, thought you folks might either love it or hate it....hipsters are starting and have been buying up all those old retro/vintage 80's mountain bikes, we've seen it in sf....

mtbr member
    Either more competition for scores or easier to dump off my junk...
    Either way cool bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    That fork don't look like any Bstone fork I remember. Fugly rake.

-Schmitty-

the new Gilbert Grape
    Very nice. Handsome makes some interesting frames. An XO-1 remake is a neat idea. Hopefully, unlike Bridgestone, they offer a 57cm frame.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmitty

-Schmitty-
    700c or 26" Ashtabula wannabe copy?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Do they actually make anything?

If that fork is any indication as to how exact a 'copy' it is, you can take any bike, paint it orange.. er select an orange coulour way...., put on some weird bars, and call it an XO copy.

Bstone's were pretty refined....

-Schmitty-

-Schmitty-

Proud Snob
    Apr 2009
    I love that bike, and I don't care if the fork is different. The XO-1 is one of my favorite bikes ever, and when I do come across one it's either far too expensive for me or far too worn out and not original enough to bother.

So I'll buy this most likely and enjoy it for what it is.
    .|.. O_o ..|.

the new Gilbert Grape
    The fork bend actually doesn't look that far off. However, the HTA looks to be a lot more slack than the original.

Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Check it.. Bstone, nice gradual radius almost to the tips.... Handsome looks like a straight tube that was whacked over someone's head..almost as much straight blade after the bend as before. It hard to get a nice radius close to the tips, so cheap forks often have quick and dirty rake...aka hack rake.

I'll never know, but I bet a side by side comparison would reveal plenty of differences.. from geo to looks. I think freekin Sachs designed the lugs.

-Schmitty-

Humanoid Lobster
    If it's not going to be a molecule-by-molecule repro, it might be nice to make the fork threadless. Threads are good on vintage rigs, threadless are SO much easier to deal with.

Heck, if they want to really do the world a favor they could (have Taiwan) knock off some Salsa P7's and P10's in threadless. That Nitto (copy?) Dirt Drop stem isn't so rad that it's worth pulling out the BIG wrench to adjust the HS - especially on a new bike. Just my $.02 worth ...
    Don't call it a gooseneck.

Humanoid Lobster
    And, in my humble opinion, that White Ind. crankset is fugly.

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by Jak0zilla
    If it's not going to be a molecule-by-molecule repro, it might be nice to make the fork threadless. Threads are good on vintage rigs, threadless are SO much easier to deal with.
    I half agree with you. Threadless headsets are easier to deal with as an allen wrench (or maybe two) is all that is needed to adjust them. There's nothing worse than having a loose threaded headset in the middle of a ride, and not having a wrench to adjust it. I've tightened several by hand and rode them home.

However, IMO for bikes with higher rise bars/stems quill stems look about 300% nicer and offer easier height adjustment (one bolt versus 2 or 3 for a threadless setup). To me a high rise quill stem, like a Dirt Drop, looks fine. Lots of spacers below a threadless stem often looks pretty cheesy.

Humanoid Lobster
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    However, IMO for bikes with higher rise bars/stems quill stems look about 300% nicer and offer easier height adjustment (one bolt versus 2 or 3 for a threadless setup). To me a high rise quill stem, like a Dirt Drop, looks fine. Lots of spacers below a threadless stem often looks pretty cheesy.
    Point conceded. I'm probably going to end up getting a custom stem with more rise because I hate all the spacers on my Bonty. I replaced fork/stem/headset, and the subtraction of the wrench flats on the top stack, single spacer, and locknut add about 1.5cm of spacers, and I had my stem up about 1cm over the locknut, plus I want the bar a little bit higher than it was when I set up the bike originally. This makes for about 4cm of spacers. In my book, running your stem up a flagpole like that is well on the way to buying one of those Spenco "full diaper" gel pads for the seat. Not at all moto.

Still, I don't think I'd buy a new (newly made) bike with a threaded fork. And I only recently decided that I would run threadless at all. I crabbed about them when they came out. Thought they were somehow part of The Great Shimano Conspiracy. (You know; the unspoken goal of the one piece component group that bolts onto the side of the bike as a unit and must be replaced entirely when the middle chainring wears out. Complete incompatibility with all other makers componentry. Plastic ratchey spirograph gears in the shifters that break into pieces when shifted for the 317th time .... ) Not fair minded on my part, but I was a hater.

mtbr member
    Ladies and gentlemen I present to you the Lewis Black of VRC.

Just kidding Jack.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmitty

-Schmitty-
    First thing that came into my head when I saw this thread. Even the low end Bridgestones had a more refined fork.
    Too many bikes, not enough time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I thought I would bump this thread... I prefer threaded headsets. Its a pain in the ass when a threadless tube is cut too short.

25-yr old Retrogrouch
    Oct 2007
    Those pics from Frostbike?
    Keep the Rubber Side Down!

Wanted: Judy FSX decals

human dehumidifier
    I will never understand why people clamp nicely painted and thin frame tubes in a repair stand
    But if you close your eyes it becomes so easy to see

John Galt
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob
    I will never understand why people clamp nicely painted and thin frame tubes in a repair stand
    It's usually because they wish to repair or display the bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Slimpee
    Those pics from Frostbike?
    Seattle bike expo

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by cegrover
    It's usually because they wish to repair or display the bike.
    That's what the seat post is for. That's right, using it to hold up the saddle was just an unexpected side effect.
    But if you close your eyes it becomes so easy to see

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    I gave Aemmer some grief about that and forgot that early clamps couldn't fit certain sized seatposts.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Has anyone tried to run this bike (or an XO-1) with Drop Bars or is that sacrilegious?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wirelessness View Post
    Has anyone tried to run this bike (or an XO-1) with Drop Bars or is that sacrilegious?
    Excellente thread revival. I like it. sacrilegious? Hell no! Run whatever you want! Even the XO-2 came specced with drops.

Here you go:
    Gene on the XOXO
    That's Gene-O, owner of One On One Bikes and former pro Bridgestone racer. He recently raced the XOXO and had great things to say about the bike...

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by McFlyMpls View Post
    Excellente thread revival. I like it. sacrilegious? Hell no! Run whatever you want! Even the XO-2 came specced with drops.

That's Gene-O, owner of One On One Bikes and former pro Bridgestone racer. He recently raced the XOXO and had great things to say about the bike...
    Got an article or review you would like to share? I really want to find a 26" from the XO series for commuting, if I ever get room for one in the collection. Not so sure about the XOXO....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast