Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Gum/tan/skin wall tires - let's see them!

35K views 64 replies 28 participants last post by  attaboy 
#1 ·
Given that 26" gum wall tires are getting pretty darn rare these days, I figured there should be a pic thread so you can show what your hard work (or luck) in sourcing got you or a pic of them in action or simply pics of them making your classic vintage ride look that much more classic and vintage.

So, let's see what you have!

Are they new, NOS, used?
Do you still ride them and if so how do they perform?

To get us started, I just picked these up today for $6. The Onza's rubber is still nice and soft with just a little bit of whiskers left, but where the side walls contact the rim feels very dry and plasticky.
The ground controls are nice and flexible and look to be in decent riding condition. Stoked on the ground control as I have another in a little better shape to make a nice pair. Plus they perform pretty well and ride nice on older, wider i20-i21 rims :)

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Automotive tire Rim

Pattern Tan Hardwood Wood stain Circle

Bicycle tire Automotive tire Brown Bicycle part Bicycle wheel rim

See less See more
#5 ·
Given that 26" gum wall tires are getting pretty darn rare these days, I figured there should be a pic thread so you can show what your hard work (or luck) in sourcing got you or a pic of them in action or simply pics of them making your classic vintage ride look that much more classic and vintage.

So, let's see what you have!

Are they new, NOS, used?
Do you still ride them and if so how do they perform?

To get us started, I just picked these up today for $6. The Onza's rubber is still nice and soft with just a little bit of whiskers left, but where the side walls contact the rim feels very dry and plasticky.
The ground controls are nice and flexible and look to be in decent riding condition. Stoked on the ground control as I have another in a little better shape to make a nice pair. Plus they perform pretty well and ride nice on older, wider i20-i21 rims :)
Great thread! Tires make or break the look and performance of a ride. It's really difficult to find a correct, safe set of tires.
When I started vintage, I rode on vintage tan wall tires all the time. Over the least 15 years, the side walls and beads have just gotten so dry and rail that unless the tire is in the freshest state, I'm reluctant to hammer a vintage tire too hard.

That Ground Control and OnZa Porc you found are my two favorite tires. Lucky you!

Some of my tire whoring.

WTB

Recently picked up some NOS (but dirty) Tioga Hound Dawg tires. It cost me dearly.

I recently de-virginized a NOS OnZa Porc. It's still absolutely fresh, so I feel ok about using it.

I've been running a modern set of 2.25 OnZa Canis on several bikes. Big casing/high volume tire and safe to ride.

Lots of issues with my Specialized tires shifting due to dry beads. They're pretty much display only now.

Last year, a shifting tire (note the slanted valve stem) caused the tube to rip and I ended up with a separated shoulder. It happened shortly after this photo.

#10 ·
I've had pretty good luck finding some at bike donation/repair/non profits (mainly First Floor bikes near the Berkeley aquatic center), I picked up a pair of very usable Ritchey Megabite and ZMax for $5 a pair, they're on the P-22. Mine seem to be a bit grubby though.

Rumpfy, I'm thinking of modern "gum walls" for the Phoenix, I assume you're liking those new Onza tires? I think 2.25 would fit, right? I hope you didn't damaged the Otis? Oh and speaking of which, plans for it? Cheers,

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport Automotive tire Bicycle part

Bicycle tire Automotive tire Tread Bicycle part Cobalt blue

Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle wheel

#13 ·
Rumpfy, I'm thinking of modern "gum walls" for the Phoenix, I assume you're liking those new Onza tires? I think 2.25 would fit, right? I hope you didn't damaged the Otis? Oh and speaking of which, plans for it? Cheers,
I love the Canis. It's a big 2.25 but will certainly fit a Phoenix. I'll probably end up running them on my 93 once all the photos have been taken with the 'show' tires on it. On my 95 I run a modern WTB Moto 2.4/Exiwolf 2.3 combo.

The Otis is fine. I would have preferred to damage the bike more than my shoulder. After healing up, I only rode the bike maybe 3 more times to get past the mental hurdle after the crash. I came to the conclusion that I don't care for the front end setup (bars/stem) and I've been slow (disinterested?) in finding the parts to make it right. A few parts have been pulled off it to complete other bikes for the time being. Once the right stem presents itself, I'll get re-motivated for correct a few things and give it another shot.

#11 ·
Any one have any leads or ware I can buy a set of gumwals?

I'm finishing an old Scott and black walls won't look right.

I'm not necessarily in need of vintage cause I plan on riding it.

I've been searching eBay and all bike shops within a few hours drive but no luck.

Any help would be awesome and rewarded with good karma.

Thanks Bryan.

#12 · (Edited)
Any one have any leads or ware I can buy a set of gumwals?

I'm finishing an old Scott and black walls won't look right.

I'm not necessarily in need of vintage cause I plan on riding it.

I've been searching eBay and all bike shops within a few hours drive but no luck.

Any help would be awesome and rewarded with good karma.

Thanks Bryan.
There is one mtb tire still being made in 26" skinwall that I know of. It's Panaracer and I think they do the Smoke and Dart still but they're really hard to find online, my local shop said he can order them though.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

#19 ·
^Wow! Nice supply.

Great replies! I love seeing all the old tread patterns. Some i have not seen since you could buy them new at the LBS. Brings me back. Neat to see how much tread patterns have changed.

Here are few more:
(old pics as there are many feets of snow covering my local trails)

Matrix Single Track AT 26x1.95". Original and came with the bike i bought last year. They felt so good on the first ride i took them through the local rock garden. Hard to see the tread pattern, but i always thought they kinda looked like ground control rip offs :skep: Probably why they ride well.

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Tire Wheel Bicycle frame

Matrix Cliffhanger 26x2.0". These tires came with the bike i bought in the early 90's and they are terrible. I immediately replaced with smokes/darts. When i got the VRC bug a few years ago, I put them back on to get some pics and they were as bad as I remember. The weird 3 nub triangle side tread pattern on these was worthless in the corners and felt super loose.

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle wheel rim

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Bicycle frame Bicycle accessory

#21 ·
Hollister just has to show us all up. Here's a few more.

Rumpfy, I can't find the skinwall Canis online anywhere, they seem to only be in black now, any clues or leads? Hmmm, wonder what the issue with the Otis is, geometry or just the stem length/angle, would it lend itself to a dirt drop set-up? Though you already have a few of those.

Finally a decent looking weekend to hit the dirt, but the downed trees and landslides will still be an issue, time to bring the saw. Cheers and happy trails.

Tire Automotive tire Rim Synthetic rubber Bicycle tire

#22 ·
Rumpfy, I can't find the skinwall Canis online anywhere, they seem to only be in black now, any clues or leads? Hmmm, wonder what the issue with the Otis is, geometry or just the stem length/angle, would it lend itself to a dirt drop set-up? Though you already have a few of those.
Out of production/stock unfortunately.

Otis, we'll see. I think a stem/bar change will make a big difference.

#26 ·
In my experience, the black compound CyclePro SnakeBelly is the hardest vintage tire to find, despite the fact that at one time it was just about the only tire available. This seem to be because it was made a long time ago (~1980) and it was of such lightweight construction that they wore out and fell apart very quickly. Some bikes just have to have them, and mediocre repops are what we have to settle for. The sum total of originals that have passed through my hands.

Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread Grey Close-up

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.