Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011

GT Zaskar Experts: Opinions and info please

So I'm getting back into riding after a really long hiatus. Being the packrat that I am, I kept my old Zaskar and have used it on camping trips, family bike rides etc. But no real hardcore riding.

Long story short: I bought this bike back in 1995 and started riding regularly. I had back surgery in 1992, and unfortunately the constant impact on my spine brought my sciatica back. Had surgery again in 1997, and spent the necessary time rehabbing. All good...

Fast forward to about 4-5 years ago and started riding the Zaskar again. Same ol situation, started my sciatic nerve problems again. So I'm bummed.

Fast forward again to a month ago. I pick up a suspension bike on the cheap and started riding with buddies. Seems to have remedied my back troubles to this point, but I'm easing into it.

So to my request for help/info: After looking into "vintage" Zaskars, I think my bike may be pretty desirable. I'm CERTAINLY no expert, but I know many of you are, so can you all perhaps pipe in on this bike?

Serial number is 06923037. Number 20 stamped on the left dropout. It has the made in USA sticker on the seat tube, and everything is for the most part stock. Photos follow.

Any hints on authenticating this bike? I have looked over this and other forums and it seems that everything points to a 1992 model made in Santa Ana. My buddy told me to never get rid of it...

One last thing, the "6061" is not stamped on the dropouts. I have read that this shows a USA made model, but I have also read that the early Zaskars from Santa Ana did not bear this mark. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

GT Zaskar Experts: Opinions and info please-zaskar-1.jpgGT Zaskar Experts: Opinions and info please-zaskar-2.jpgGT Zaskar Experts: Opinions and info please-zaskar-3.jpgGT Zaskar Experts: Opinions and info please-zaskar-4.jpgGT Zaskar Experts: Opinions and info please-zaskar-5.jpgGT Zaskar Experts: Opinions and info please-zaskar-6.jpgGT Zaskar Experts: Opinions and info please-zaskar-7.jpgGT Zaskar Experts: Opinions and info please-zaskar-8.jpgGT Zaskar Experts: Opinions and info please-zaskar2.jpg

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    So, are you getting rid of it?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    So, are you getting rid of it?
    Not planning on it, since it's a great ride and perfect for jamming around the 'hood with my kids. I have way too many bikes as it is from BMX to Mountain to Vintage/Antiques so what's another one right?

I have others I'd sell before this one, put it that way...

Thanks for the reply....

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    It's real. I have a '92 also and mine ALSO lacks the 6061 stamp, AND also has the frame size stamped on the outside of the left dropout (rather than inside it which I think is where they usually are). Here is that drop out and my beat-to-hell GT QR skewer.
    GT Zaskar Experts: Opinions and info please-100_1300.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin Dave View Post
    It's real. I have a '92 also and mine ALSO lacks the 6061 stamp, AND also has the frame size stamped on the outside of the left dropout (rather than inside it which I think is where they usually are). Here is that drop out and my beat-to-hell GT QR skewer.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1300.JPG 
Views:	225 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	817092
    Thanks for the reply and no offense but that IS one beat to hell skewer!

It's been pretty interesting reading the history of these early Zaskars. I also have an old 19" RTS-2 hanging in the rafters that I'd like to put together, just need a donor bike and some time to spend on it. 3 young kids can eat into the hobby time...

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    "Beat to hell" is so crass, tho. I like to call it "Craigslist mint-y" or "Ebay-NOS-with-shop-wear."

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin Dave View Post
    "Beat to hell" is so crass, tho. I like to call it "Craigslist mint-y" or "Ebay-NOS-with-shop-wear."
    Crass is good IMO...

I do like "craigslist mint" and based on some of my craigslist experiences, that is a very accurate term...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Stickers are available for that I believe. The auction is over but they re-list.

GT Zaskar Le Competition Series Decal Sticker Set of 9 Black White | eBay

mtbr member
    Looks to be a '91 or '92 to me with that rear brake that has some mid-'90s upgrades (fork, front der., crank).
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

Sneaker man
    that colour and decals would make it a 93 model year. Drivetrain from 94 and forks from 94/95
    2003 Yeti ARC
    2008 GT Zaskar Reissue
    1996 GT Xizang
    2012 Cervelo R3

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    that colour and decals would make it a 93 model year. Drivetrain from 94 and forks from 94/95
    "0692" in the serial number pegs production at June of 1992. The U-brake in back was a '91-'92 thing, dropped in '93.

Sneaker man
    thats why I said model year, not year, as they didn't do purple in 92 and they had different decals. More than likely its an early frame for 93 or leftover 92 frame where they started stuff but hadn't gotten around to the new brakes. You know how they release next years model this year.
    2003 Yeti ARC
    2008 GT Zaskar Reissue
    1996 GT Xizang
    2012 Cervelo R3

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Yeah - I have a 20" '92 frame and the stickers are totally different.

That just makes it unique though. And easy to obtain replacement stickers for.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks for all the replies. I have seen the stickers on fleabay and am planning to pick up a set. Hate to take off the originals since they are still there, but they look pretty bad...

blog hogs
    Feb 2010
    Made in june 92.Sold as a 93.
    Ignore them till they go away.It's corporate policy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    Agreed

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Wow! mine 20" is 06923029, eight bikes newer than that. Apparently the 29er market has killed the resale on these, at least here on CL.

What could go wrong ...
    Quote Originally Posted by steve.ski View Post
    I also have an old 19" RTS-2 hanging in the rafters that I'd like to put together, just need a donor bike and some time to spend on it.
    I have a lot of RTS parts, let me know what you need
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Smedley View Post
    Wow! mine 20" is 06923029, eight bikes newer than that. Apparently the 29er market has killed the resale on these, at least here on CL.
    Just in the 20" size. Not many can safely ride a 20 c-c Zaskar. Biggest size they made. That's the one that's been on craigs in Boise for about 10 months.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gm1230126 View Post
    Just in the 20" size. Not many can safely ride a 20 c-c Zaskar. Biggest size they made. That's the one that's been on craigs in Boise for about 10 months.
    I'm 5'10.5" and I have two inches of standover with a 2.25-2.35 tire and 3D fork. .T he toptube length is just right. I think anybody who hits 6" would be a good fit. Plenty of room for a 650B conversion also. For a Al frame I thought it rode excellent, definitely liked it better climbing than a CAD 3.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Smedley View Post
    That's lovely. I have an 06922999 in silver with '92 stickers. What are you asking for it? That should sell for $100-$150 easy.

I'm 6'0" (34 inseam) and prefer an 18" for trail riding - but a 20" for paved trails. It's a bit easier to throw around a smaller frame on the trails. Throw it on eBay if there are no local takers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoke2 View Post
    I have a lot of RTS parts, let me know what you need
    THanks Zoke, I may take you up on that. I need to build a list of parts needed and start the search.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundoggy View Post
    That's lovely. I have an 06922999 in silver with '92 stickers. What are you asking for it? That should sell for $100-$150 easy.

I'm 6'0" (34 inseam) and prefer an 18" for trail riding - but a 20" for paved trails. It's a bit easier to throw around a smaller frame on the trails. Throw it on eBay if there are no local takers.
    6'4" here, and the 20 works fine for me. That's a sweet frame, and agree that it would well easily on fleabay...

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Hi all,

I managed to find a size M 2007 Zaskar Team frame, but am really unsure if it is the right size for me. I am 6 foot (feet?), and used to riding single-speed and road bikes with 55 to 56cm top tubes, and 100 to 110mm stems. I have tried to look for a geometry chart for the frame, but have not been too successful as I am not familiar with GT history nor differences with model years.

I had planned to build it up in 1x9 or 1x10 guise with a rigid fork to ride in not too demanding environment.

Any info or opinions are much appreciated.

Thank you,

tarek

Sneaker man
    history wise, 2001ish is when they stopped making zaskars in the USA, so nobody really likes talking about them after then And since this is the VRC forums nobody really likes talking about anything after '97.
    Maybe try:
    Official Zaskar/Xizang thread

But with the newer frames, i'm 5-9 and ride a medium and could have maybe gone a bit bigger
    2003 Yeti ARC
    2008 GT Zaskar Reissue
    1996 GT Xizang
    2012 Cervelo R3

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast