mtbr member
    Dec 2009

GT Tequesta vs. Rocky Mountain Hammer ... worthy upgrade?

Hello,

I posted on the frame forum but didn't seem to get much traction. I have an older GT Tequesta that is serviceable for the type of riding I am doing. I have a line on a Rocky Mountain Hammer frame that is the right size. Would this be a decent upgrade or is the Tequesta frame just as nice?

The Tequesta is many years old, but all the shifters, etc are working fine. I just installed a Rock Shox Recon this year, and while the geometry changed a bit I do not notice any negatives (and the fork is a lot nicer than the original Rock Shox Judy). I figure that a new frame would work better as a foundation to conitnue my upgrades.

Thanks in advance for any input.

drn92

Mtn Biker Machinist
    Compare prices when new:

Tequesta:
    BikePedia - 1993 GT Tequesta Complete Bicycle

Hammer:
    BikePedia - 1993 Rocky Mountain Hammer Complete Bicycle

Not sure what year each frame is, but I would say the Hammer is probably a better platform to upgrade from, and one that would serve for years.

Sounds like you have gotten a lot of use from the Tequesta as well.

Buy the Hammer, build it up with the best parts you can, and use the Tequesta as a loaner/commuter/whatever. Never hurts to have more than 1 bike!

frog

REALLY?
    G.T. gets my vote, I have an old 92 G.T. Richter and its bullet proof, even 20 years later.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Thanks for the notes. One thing I did not add is that the Rocky Mountain frame is new ... as in never used.

I bought it and will be starting the build this week. I'll try to take pre and post-op pictures. The geometry is a bit different between the two frames, but I think the RM will open up the cockpit a bit and be a better fit for the Recon fork.

Keep it coming if you have additional thoughts!

Thanks, drn92

VRC Illuminati
    Hammer will likely be a better bike/frame across the board.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: Syncros 27.2 x 425 seatpost

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Here are the "before" pictures. Based on my measurements today everything should fit. I am looking forward to trying it out!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GT Tequesta vs. Rocky Mountain Hammer ... worthy upgrade?-gt-side-small.jpg  

GT Tequesta vs. Rocky Mountain Hammer ... worthy upgrade?-gt-front-small.jpg  

REALLY?
    Someone posted a link to a 93 Tequesta, thats the wrong year to compare to, the Tequesta in the photo is a newer 96-98ish model, or so the decals would suggest. And I cant speak about that particular model/year Tequesta as far as materials and craftsmanship go, just not familar with it. I'm more familar with GT's higher end stuff. Nice Tequesta you got there BTW.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Thanks for the kind words. It has been a great bike, but I got the RM frame for a song ($70), so I figured it would be a nice foundation to build on. I felt bad doing any upgrades on the old bike, but now I will definitely do so on the new one as bits and pieces wear out.

The RM,frame is the same color as the GT, just not a matte finish.

Drn92

illuminaughty
    I've always thought Hammers were underrated....just do it!

VRC Illuminati
    I hope the Hammer is the next size down. I'd say that GT is too big for you.
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I'm a pretty big guy, but it does look like the RM frame will give me a bit more standover room as well as open up the cockpit a bit. GT is nice once I'm up and riding it.

The shop always jokes about the head tube length on my GT. it is a size 22".

Drn92

VRC Illuminati
    How tall are ya?
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I have a 98 GT Tequesta and its pretty solid built bike. I rider it more then my newer high end bike. The components are holding up pretty well given my weight even though I changed a few things to make the bike more comfortable.

I recently converted to SS and I regret not doing it sooner. Yeah $70 bucks for the hammer is a no brainer.
    Pedaling Gorilla

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    How tall are ya?
    I'm 6'2". I used to have a 17" Bridgestone MB-3, but it was way too small.

I think the RM will be fine. Just starting the build!

Suspension? We don't....
    Hammer time! Can't touch this!

Hi.
    Awesome pickup on the Hammer for $70. That's a great deal, and a really nice frame...much better than the Tequesta IMO. The Hammers were built with higher end steel than the Tequesta (except for the Aluminum Hammers!), so if it fits it'll be an upgrade and likely lighter. It'll also work with the Recon better.

What year is the Hammer? Got any pics? Good luck on the build!

Suspension? We don't....
    Seriously though, my vote is for the Hammer.

VRC Hound
    Hammer!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    My vote goes to the Hammer. I use a 1996 Hammer Race as a daily commuter and could not be happier with it. It puts up with a lot of abuse.
    Had a chance to check out a Tequesta recently and it did not feel as substantial.