Huckin' trails

GT Tempest AnaTomica need info

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and I saw you guys got some nices skills and knowledge about bike and GT's ones.

I just came back today from my old mate who's owning a part-time bike repair shop as a hobby and have quite a lot of treasures sleeping back in the shed where he daily receive frames and parts donations... Kind of the bike man of the place.

So I dig deep in the mountain of frames and parts and got myself some nice pieces.

I found a super-nice condition GT Tempest AnaTomica frame only (with BB and crank) and a other GMC bike.

I did some research and I found some infos on the Tempest, but not on the AnaTomica model (which appears to be the lady version?) so I need you guys to help me out to get the model year on this baby and maybe some bottom lines on it... I guess its around '98 - '00, but I do not know.

Only thing I know is that having a before 2001's GT is something everyone still wish around here....

Here's some pics :

[center]

So off course I did put a fork, steering, etc and else that is not the frame or the crank (I had to get it back to my house and I also had to carry an other bike in the same condition, so... but they will be removed and the bike will be built up lot better).

I also go my hand on a Shimano nexus drum brake with internal gearing (nice catch !) and I'm planning on building this bike for city riding, as I live in Montreal and I'm always on my bike, so I will probably get a nice suspension at the front or just make it rigid (depend on my budget), but the lil' RockShox won't make the cut, no way...

I plan also on sand blasting the frame and repaint it very nicely (pro level) and getting my hand on OEM decals to get it back to the GT look. If you have any tips on how to get the decals or ink transfers, let me know.

I also have the GMC bike I just got today, as you may saw in the background... This one will go as my trail bike... (damn, I start to get really serious with now having 5 bikes ;D)

So thanks for your responses and cheers !

David

Certified Bike Junkie
    Need: McMahon brake for roller cam mounts, Mountain Goat fork.

Huckin' trails
    Thanks bud.

Anyone got any info ? (Maybe mods should move this thread to the GT section ?)

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007
    AFAIK, the AnaTomica bikes were kind of a women-specific option without coming right out and saying so - short top tube was the only real difference I think. Probbaly originally came equipped with a wider saddle and skinny grips.
    5 is the old new black; 6 is the new new black...

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007
    The GT will make a better off-road bike than the GMC,.
    5 is the old new black; 6 is the new new black...

Huckin' trails
    Thanks, but I already know that

The thing is I will get the GT as my summer/city bike, as I want to customize the setup and get something nice with that frame shape.

The GMC is not a high end frame, but it will do the job for weekend trails, as I don't want to spend too much money on it, more on the GT.

I will get the pics of the GMC soon, as I just dissemble and put back the frame together with susp today.

But the thing is I still need info on the frame itself...

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers,

David

Huckin' trails
    Any idea about model year ?

Thanks,

David

Neo-Retro Forever
    Oct 2004
    Pedals were made in 98 - so it's probably a 98 or 99. I don't think it's the original fork...

Huckin' trails
    Your are good sir. I saw the pedal date too, but wasn't sure if it would be a date or even '86 instead of '98, thats why I posted the pic.

The fork isn't the original one, this one belong to a nice Timberline FS now sitting right beside the Tempest, waiting for an overall (this will be my brother's new bike, kind of a birthday present for his 17th)...

Can you guess what kind of fork/travel would it been design for ? Because I have no clue for now and I would like to get it with sum susp, but need to know how much travel.

Thanks again,

David

Neo-Retro Forever
    Oct 2004
    Tempest usually had an early RST fork - this one works well, I guess - either way, you're looking 50-60mm travel.

Lots of options out there.

Huckin' trails
    I actually have a 160mm Marzocchi, but it might be too flashy for it...

I have also a lil bigger one than the RockShox, but its kinda heavy (7 lbs !), so I might stick to it for now...

Maybe even a fatty will look cool.

What about the crank ?

Any suggestion on something look good/awesome but still under the $100. I'm looking for a single ring crank, kind of flashy style, but I can get a nice paint job by myself... RaceFace looks cool, but I'm new to them.

Thanks,

David

Huckin' trails
    This guys will be converted to my new custom build SS...

Tread here... GT SS Build up *Custom decals*

Any other info or input still appreciated for this bike.

Thanks,

David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!