Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Highly Ir-regular
    May 2006

GT Lightning or Lightspeed Owl Hollow

If you were lookiing for a Ti bike, which would you choose and why? I know it's not really VRC stuff but it's close....more to follow when I get home...
    "I won't sell these for a penny less than $60.00. I'd rather put 'em back on the shelf and keep 'em! "

Carsten
    Quote Originally Posted by stan4bikes
    If you were lookiing for a Ti bike, which would you choose and why? I know it's not really VRC stuff but it's close....more to follow when I get home...
    both are cool but the owl hollow down tube does it for me. it's litespeed btw.

i'd choose an old merlin though.

carsten

Wanderer
    I'd pick the Lightning for sure.

I've been using mine since 99 and its still going strong.

Certified Bike Junkie
    I've always been partial to GTs. But I wouldn't kick the litespeed out of bed either. Assuming they were both my size of course.
    Last edited by muddybuddy; 04-04-2008 at 03:59 PM.

mtbr member
    wasnt the Lightning made overseas unlike the Xizang? Im just going off a vague recollection...

artistic...
    the one that fits.

having said that the litespeed is a much evolved ti bike. much stiffer.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

Wanderer
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    wasnt the Lightning made overseas unlike the Xizang? Im just going off a vague recollection...
    I have heard that before but don't have any information about it.

Mine is a 16" and I weight about 145 and I will say that I can feel it flex under power if I really pay attention and the ground is smooth. Off road I can never feel it.

I went from a Zaskar LE to the Xizang and the difference is ride comfort is astounding. I will never ride another aluminum hardtail again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toff
    I have heard that before but don't have any information about it.

Mine is a 16" and I weight about 145 and I will say that I can feel it flex under power if I really pay attention and the ground is smooth. Off road I can never feel it.

I went from a Zaskar LE to the Xizang and the difference is ride comfort is astounding. I will never ride another aluminum hardtail again.

yeah, youre probably getting .5mm more "give" from the rear triangle and about 4mm more from the front triangle.

Highly Ir-regular
    May 2006

heres why I wondered....

Actually it was just to fill space till I got home. I stopped in one of my "connections" today, lo and behold he was having a bike clearance .I looked around and spotted this beauty...a GT Lightning with a Chris King rear hub and Carbon front laced to Ceramic Mavic 217s, XTR derailers-Crank-Cassette and brakes, XT shifters and pedals, Ti Avocet saddle, RS Judy SL....and it was on sale Since I already have the aforementioned Litespeed, I thought a running mate was in order.

And to think I was excited that tonight I was going to pick up a Bridgestone MB3 ..but I still might, it's been available for a week and no-ones grabbed it. So the HOOVER will do it's job
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I won't sell these for a penny less than $60.00. I'd rather put 'em back on the shelf and keep 'em! "

Wanderer
    Nice, just how cheap did you get that for?

I was just a tad to late to pick up another complete xizang a few months back. It was at a very nice price and had been sitting in some garage for the last 10 years.

bonked
    I'm diggin the duct tape cable end
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

Highly Ir-regular
    May 2006

heyyyyy!

Quote Originally Posted by IF52
    I'm diggin the duct tape cable end
    (ends, as in multiple ) I noticed that too...I just pulled it out of my truck . and haven't even had a chance to wipe it down yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Toff
    Nice, just how cheap did you get that for?
    you don't even want to know lets just say it was about the same as I paid for the MB1 earlier this week and that was a deal

mtbr member
    (ends, as in multiple ) I noticed that too...I just pulled it out of my truck . and haven't even had a chance to wipe it down yet.

you don't even want to know lets just say it was about the same as I paid for the MB1 earlier this week and that was a deal

so, what is it - rider (looks too big), flipper, collector bike? What year is that thing? Fork looks like 98 as do the parts.

Highly Ir-regular
    May 2006
    I think it's a 98 but I haven't researched it yet. I probably will flip some parts (to pay for it) and turn it into a paved trail/light offroad bike.
    Last edited by stan4bikes; 04-04-2008 at 05:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    paved trail bike

velocipede technician
    Quote Originally Posted by soreyes
    paved trail bike
    performance hybrid
    looking for 20-21" P team

mtbr member
    They were only made two years 1997 and 1998 as a complete bike only and yes it is an imported frame. In 97 they had a mix of STX-RC and LX and in 98 they up spec'd to a mix of LX and XT. The Lightning was added to the line back then because Ti was hot pre-carbon days and GT's international distributors wanted a more affordable Ti bike and more Ti bikes. GT couldn't meet the international demand on Xizang's and with VAT added onto a Xizang frame the landed cost was very high in many European countries. They are very nice I've bought and sold nine in the past year.

Differences between the Lightning and Xizang
    Lightning top tube end cap is round, Xizang is oval
    Lighting top tube end cap is stamp GT 3AL/2.5V, Xizang is just stamped GT
    Lightning is bead blasted, Xizang was hand polished or had RWB Team graphics in 99
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by soreyes
    paved trail bike

I wonder if there is a PTBR (Paved Trail Bike Review). Maybe they have an PTB forum that caters to non-new bikes had for cheap.

Highly Ir-regular
    May 2006

hmmmmm?

Quote Originally Posted by gm1230126
    Differences between the Lightning and Xizang
    Lightning top tube end cap is round, Xizang is oval
    Lighting top tube end cap is stamp GT 3AL/2.5V, Xizang is just stamped GT
    Lightning is bead blasted, Xizang was hand polished or had RWB Team graphics in 99

Soooo, My end cap is oval (Xizang)but marked "GT 3AL/2.5V" (Lightning) ..?

mtbr member
    Soooo, My end cap is oval (Xizang)but marked "GT 3AL/2.5V" (Lightning) ..?
    OK Stan, the Lightning end cap is round compared to the squashed oval end cap of the Xizang.
    The Lightning is the top picture and the Xizang the bottom picture. See what I mean?
    By the way yours is a 1998 model also.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

Highly Ir-regular
    May 2006
    thanx, I gotcha now...hey I don't know all the intricasies

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    so, what is it - rider (looks too big), flipper, collector bike? What year is that thing? Fork looks like 98 as do the parts.

fork looks a 97. i had one.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

mtbr member
    I have what I believe is a 97 Lightning. Its my wife's bike and she never rides it. I might end up selling it. It's been updated from stock though with XT V brakes, Zoke Atom 80, XT 8 speed shifters and some lighter wheels with some White Industries Hubs.
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA
    I love learning new things in my pajamas.

Wanderer
    I have a friend that is looking for a 16" Xizang frame (Lightning might do).

He fell in love with mine and I won't let him have it. heh

On the bottom of the bottom bracket shell on mine is stamped my serial number which includes the year made.
    Your may be in the same place.
    Last edited by Toff; 04-05-2008 at 08:24 PM.

Highly Ir-regular
    May 2006

yahoo!

Just looked in my garage and what did I see? ....a matching RED Chris King front hub on a Mavic 517 Ceramic rim Sometimes it pays to be a hoarder and hang onto stuff. Those CK's just might pay for the whole bike Not sure what wheels I'll put back on (maybe some Pewter Rolf Satellites ) but I'm going to downgrade the bike to XT with a Pewter RaceFace Turbine crankset.
    Last edited by stan4bikes; 04-05-2008 at 09:04 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast