Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: GT Bravado

mtbr member

GT Bravado

Can anyone give me some information about the GT Bravado. Just purchased a New Old Stock 20" Frame. Not delivered yet but described as being 100% Mint Condition. The kind of information I'm looking for is;

Where in the GT range did this frame come?
    Does it have a frame integrated gear hanger?
    If not where can I get one from that fits?
    Does it take 11/8" Headset & Steerer Tube?
    What size BB does it take?
    Where can I source a BB Gear Guide?

Tried Googling it. Not much out there seems to be a lot of German sites with info though. Shame I can't speak German!!

I've just joined the forum and this is my first post.(be gentle!) Basically looking for the above info as I'm planning a rebuild for next weekend and want to order some stuff in. Not going for the retro, retro, retro look, but want to achieve a look that is sympathetic to the frame. Already got brand new parts, Deore XT Brake/Shifters, XT Front & Rear, RST Front Disc Caliper, Manitou Forks, FSA Chainset, etc.

Really like the look of this Triple Triangle frame, just need to get some info on it from past or existing owners. Seems a shame that such a good frame appears to be neglected and everyone's raving about the Zaskar.

Got some photos just don't ask me for more as they from the person I bought it off.
    Attached Images Attached Images

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadro
    Where in the GT range did this frame come?
    The Brovado was a middle-high end bike. It looks like an 853 decal on the seat tube, so it's a nice frame.

Does it have a frame integrated gear hanger?
    If not where can I get one from that fits?
    Yes, it should have one.

Does it take 11/8" Headset & Steerer Tube?
    Yes it's 1-1/8". GT went to the oversized design in about 1991. Your frame is a lot newer than that.

What size BB does it take?
    Likely a 68mm.

Where can I source a BB Gear Guide?
    Any bike shop can sell you one, or at least order it for you for very cheap.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info really really really appreciated! I paid 58 for this frame delivered - is that a good price?

With a new Manitou front suspension fork and brand new XT parts I'm really hoping this oldish frame converts into a modern XC hardtail.

I've already got three old GT's a 18" Backwoods, 18" Pantera and a 16" Zaskar. All three of these bikes are really tatty with loads of paintwork marks and knackered components . The Zaskar is plain aluminum but has a lot of pitting to the surface.

Been looking for ages for a mint GT frame that is totally original and hopefully this one will come up trumps. As for my other bikes looking how much these are going for on eBay perhaps with a bit of work they could make me some tidy money.

Then my step to buying a mint ball burnished Xizang might come true

mtbr member
    Anyone else got any info on the Bravado. Are there any online GT brochure pdf's out here giving some information

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Bravado has always been GT's Top of the Line Taiwan TIG welded steel frame with Deore XT spec going back as far as 1992. In 1992 they also had a steel Team Avalanche but that was a Toyo Japan frame and full XTR.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    Has or does anyone own one? Whats the ride like? How does this frame compare to a 6061 GT frame?

Any photo's of current setups would be appreciated as I'm looking for ideas.

mtbr member
    Doesn't seem to many owners of this frame out here, shame. I know its not as exotic looking as a ball burnished Zaskar or big X but seems there are some good reports on the geometry setup. Also it's MUCH cheaper to get hold of a perfect original frame.

Will post some pics of my rebuild very soon - can't wait to get my teeth stuck in and see what everyone thinks of the outcome.

mtbr member
    Frames has arrived. New Old Stock. Brand spanking new still had factory paint protection film on it! Totally unused and is a dark mettalic blue with metallic flecks. No marks, all threads unmarked. Full Tubing 4130 CR-MO Reynolds 631 tubing, rear V Brake bosses. For 58 ($120) delivered think I had a bargain.

Just a couple of questions

I googled 631 tubing and know its air hardened steel. Is this good quality tubing and how does it compare / differ to 853?

What are peoples views on this forming a good XC frame with brand new mid range components? 27 speed build with mainly Deore LX some XT , Manitou Axel Elite forks, etc.

About the rear brake cabling setup. I will be putting brand new Shimano LX rear V's on the frame. Are any cabling guides necessary to pass the seat post tubing? Or is it simply a matter of putting carbon frame protectors on the frame to stop rubbing marks.

Seatpost Diameter? Haven't got a micrometer but I'm thinking 27.2mm, is this correct?

Bottom bracket gear cabling guide. Are there any online sources for new genuine GT gearing guides? Anybody know the thread size of the screw that fixes this onto the frame?

Uploaded some photos of the frame hope you like. Will be starting the build next week and will post some photos as it progresses.

mtbr member
    The Bottom Bracket shell is 73mm. Anybody got any ideas what the correct axle length would be for this frame?

Also Picture 5 above show the frame rear down tubes the cabling nodules shown are threaded and I believe that they are for some sort of threaded cable retention clips. Anybody got some pics of these or know where I can source them from?

You down with entropy?
    The items in pic5 look like rack mounts to me.
    I am unsure what type of guide would have been on this model.

John Galt
    There are GT experts who can likely help with most of your questions. In the meantime...were you able to confirm the year by comparing to catalogs or using the serial number?

If it's newer than about 1996, you should have no trouble with v-brakes and an 80mm (or less) travel fork. Rear brake cable housing probably inserts into the end of the cable outlet in the frame, again assuming it wasn't made for a u-brake. That outlet looks bigger than the one on a '91 Karakoram I had, which is a good sign.

Looks like a nice frame!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    By axel length are you talking about the BB spindel length? or the rear dropout spacing?
    the brazeons that you are referring to are for a rack, and the seattube should be 27.2.

I didn't realize that GT made a Bravado (non LE model) I had a Bravado LE that I owned before getting the Xizang that I have now, the LE was a XC race frame made with a little higher end materials but still made in Taiwan (TrueTemper GTXIII, GT's version OXIII)
    it had the groove tube that routed all cables under the toptube and were hidden in a groove.
    I loved that frame, probably moreso than my Xizang, but I needed money at the time and had to sell it.

Im sure the ride of your Bravado will be great, your rear brake cable should not need any extra routing since it's a newer frame designed for Vbrakes, just put some tape to prevent rubbing.
    BB spindle length would depend on what crank you are going to be running, rear dropout spacing should be 135mm. looks like you got a good deal and a nice frame. I have been looking for another Bravado LE for a few years now, if anyone knows of a 16" with the team scream paint job let me know..

Found this Link to Sheldon Browns website.. : http://www.sheldonbrown.com/seatpost-sizes.html
    Looks like the Bravado seatpost is 26.8 and the LE is 27.2.
    GT Bravado 1997 26.8

The Bottom Bracket shell is 73mm. Anybody got any ideas what the correct axle length would be for this frame?

Also Picture 5 above show the frame rear down tubes the cabling nodules shown are threaded and I believe that they are for some sort of threaded cable retention clips. Anybody got some pics of these or know where I can source them from?
    Last edited by derrgti; 10-27-2008 at 10:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    My 1994 Tequesta has the same setup and I tried XT canti brake but it is just way too mushy. But I seem to recall all pre-disk rear brake from the 90s sucked. Maybe I'm not doing it right, but I'm not sure if I agree with the under-the-top-tube cable routing - the cable has to snake around those kinks before it reaches the brake, that full housing zip-tie method maybe a better way...

mtbr member

It's a 98 model by decals. It will ride much more lively than aluminum. While the tubing of this frame isn't what the early Bravado's were it will still be a very nice ride. Re: BB axle length...it has nothing to do with the bike it has to do with which crank you choose to run on it. I'm not sure of the seat post size but you're already got bikes with posts in them and you can try a 27.0 which you should have in one of your other bikes...if it's a tad tight you need 26.8 if lose 27.2. Don't run more than 80mm of suspension on it because it will won't handle very well. Go visit your local bike shop for the BB cable guide...it's not worth paying postage for an item this inexpensive. The BB cable guide bolt is M5x.8mm thread like a water bottle boss bolt but make sure it's short enough that it doesn't hit your cartridge BB. The reason you don't see many of these is because GT was selling the Lightning Ti the same year. The Lightning was down spec'd a bit from the Bravado specs but a Ti frame for similar dollars on the complete bike...which would you have bought? 631 is lower than 853 on the Reynolds totem pole. Standard V-brake cable noodle is all you need for the rear brake as this frame was originally set up and sold with v-brakes on it.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    I raced a 91' at last year's Keyesville Classic Downhill event. They ride well, but I'm not a fan of the triple triangle look. I have mine set up with an old Manitou 3 and Deore XT of the day, Mavic Oxygen rims laced to Hi-E hubs. It's a stout, (and heavy), bike.

Dumpster Diver
    Quote Originally Posted by Retrocowboy
    I raced a 91' at last year's Keyesville Classic Downhill event. They ride well, but I'm not a fan of the triple triangle look. I have mine set up with an old Manitou 3 and Deore XT of the day, Mavic Oxygen rims laced to Hi-E hubs. It's a stout, (and heavy), bike.
    Nice to see you back. Where've you been? Are you still up for a vintage ride?
    Stuart

wanted: TA Chainrings, FUNK Big Fork, Bullseye Cranks 176mm,

mtbr member
    Thanks for your reply's

Photo of some of my parts lined up for re-build.

Frame - GT Bravado
    Forks - Manitou Axel Elite 80 Ride Firm (Used but mint condition)
    Crankset - Race Face Ride ISIS Chainset with 175mm cranks, 22/32/44 rings and ISIS bottom bracket.
    Stem - ITM OVER 5 CNC 31.8 OS STEM 135 mm
    Handlebar - ITM Over 5 Carbon Bars, width 660mm, 45mm rise, 31.8 OS
    Grips - WTB Weirwolf Trail
    Headset - FSA ORBIT sealed cartridge
    Seatpost - FSA Full Carbon Pro 27.2mm, 350mm
    Saddle - WTB SST Titanium
    Headset Spacers - HOPE Gunsmoke
    Shifters - Shimano Deore LX 27 speed brake combined 2008 Model
    Front Mech - Shimano Deore XT
    Rear Derailleur - Shimano Deore XT
    Rear Brake - Shimano Deore LX V Brake
    Front Brake- RST Disc X Caliper Mechanical
    Gearing Cog = Shimano Deore 9 Speed
    Cabling - Shimano XTR all round
    Quick Release Shimano XT Skewers Front and Rear

In process of sourcing MAVIC Crossmax SLR's used wheelset but cost way too much at the moment!!

Front Wheel - Rodi Excalibur Disc (Not the best but OK for now)
    Rear Wheel - Shimano Deore LX Hub with 26in 36 hole Sun Rhyno Lite XL rim (Used but VVG Condition)

Anybody got any comments on the parts. I would ideally like full XTR groupset, Chris King Headset, Hydraulic Brakes, etc. But at moment I'm not a millionaire so there is a budget.

Will post some pics soon of the rebuild in progress and hopefully some pics of the bike in action on my local trails in the rugged Welsh countryside of Powys and the Brecon Beacons where I live.

artistic...
    nice view. sell the house and buy those wheels.. wait. don't.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

mtbr member
    Hmmmmm let me think that one over. Anyone in California want to swap? Could do with having a view of some palm tree's.

Is nice though, to the right (not shown) of the photo is the ruins of a 13th century Norman Castle and in the distance is an old Roman road. Slap bang in the middle of a National Park full of Celtish myths and legends.

If anyone does visit the UK just remember there are FOUR countries over here. England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and WALES

Cymru am Byth (Wales Forever)

mtbr member
    Hey Gadro, check out this link to this past Keyesville, it's got some pics of me racing the Bravado.

Keyesville Afterglow 2008

Yetified, Yeah, it's been a while. I've been so busy with work, kids, and life. Things are mellowing out again, so I'm back. And hell yeah, I wanna go on a ride, let me know!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Retrocowboy
    Hey Gadro, check out this link to this past Keyesville, it's got some pics of me racing the Bravado.

Keyesville Afterglow 2008

Yetified, Yeah, it's been a while. I've been so busy with work, kids, and life. Things are mellowing out again, so I'm back. And hell yeah, I wanna go on a ride, let me know!

Nice Bikes & Nice People , shame I'd have to fly about 6000 miles to get there!

mtbr member
    Took some pics started the build today. Put on the new Race Face RIDE BB and Chainset, but used some cheap Wellgo pedals

Assembled the FSA Carbon and WTB seat setup. Clamped on the front Mech and put a new Deore Cassette on the rear hub and the LX V Brake.. Couldn't resist putting the back wheel on to see what it looked like with the TIOGA rubber:

Tomorrow it's the Front of the bike FSA Orbit Headset, ITM Stem and Handlebars and the Manitou Forks.

Then the fun starts - CABLING - GEARING - BRAKES

I might be asking some questions !!

VRC Illuminati
    You need a bike stand dude.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Oh and I know I need a work stand.

But why spend 50 when you can just get "do me a favour hold this for a sec" the Wife (Wash, Iron, F**k, Etc)

Shouldn't have posted that, I think there's a domestic in the making there !!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast