mountaingoatcycles.com

Grove Hard Cores, neon goodness x 2

Here are pictures of our pair of Grove Hard Core bikes. The blue and pink one has been around for awhile and these are just new pictures. The 5 color fade bike was a recent pick up in Raleigh, NC.

More pictures and details @ MOMBAT: 1991 Grove Hard Core

More pictures and details of the second bike @ MOMBAT: 1989 Grove Hard Core

mtbr member
    Besides the normal geometry, the toe clip/strap/button combo and the bottle cage on the second one make the bike.

And I've never before seen those weird Ritchey Force knock off tires. Who makes em?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    That second one is just awesome, these often look weirdly proportioned, but in that size the stance is bang on. Would trade the rest of my bikes for that without doubt.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Both look they would brutalize the body of whoever is riding them. The high bb and portage strap are rad, though. Only thing missing is the Grove tubular chromoly cranks.
    undefined Absolutely must have: Black Machine Tech Zeroflex brake levers (the ones with the rotating leverage adjuster)

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Yeah, a set of hot rods and they'd be perfect.....

mountaingoatcycles.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed View Post
    And I've never before seen those weird Ritchey Force knock off tires. Who makes em?
    IRC Mountain Super 12 tires, found a couple sets of NOS tires but not 100% sure of the vintage.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by uphiller View Post
    Both look they would brutalize the body of whoever is riding them.
    totally. Steel in Cannondale size tubes would put any harsh aluminum bike to shame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Plus the higher bb on the first one pushes your butt up, effectively hunching you over. And the stem is close to flat. I do remember my first ride on a bike with a high bb, it was a revelation. Wicked easy bunnyhops.
    undefined Absolutely must have: Black Machine Tech Zeroflex brake levers (the ones with the rotating leverage adjuster)

mountaingoatcycles.com
    Measured both bikes and they both have 12" bottom brackets.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by First Flight View Post
    Measured both bikes and they both have 12" bottom brackets.
    that can't be. put away Wes' shoe and get an actual tape measure.

One has BB drop and one has BB rise. Unless the first one has a 24" wheel.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What Fillet-brazed said. The first one has a bb axle well above the 13" high rear hub axle, unless there is some weird illusion going on. I seem to remember hearing about some other Grove bikes that experimented with a really high bb, and were designed for urban riding?
    That feature does make bikes easier to bunnyhop- but it has been largely abandoned by trials bike makers (not that that is a trials bike- it just has one particular gene from a trials bike of that era spliced into it, altering its behavior). It makes it easy to get the front wheel in the air, but it also limits how high you can get the front wheel before you start to fall over backwards. So small to medium bunnyhops are miraculously easy, whereas crazy big ones are impossible. Just an interesting tangent.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Jeff,

The Hardcores were designed around a 13.5" bottom bracket, which would be consistent with the first bike pictured.

There were a few bikes built in the mid 90's with the Hardcore tubing and the Aggressor geometry, to offer a robust frame with more traditional ride characteristics...I'd guess the second bike is amongst that group. It should measure out around 12".

cheers,

rody
    As requested by the MTBR gods, I am the voice of Groovy Cycleworks, check it out... http://www.groovycycleworks.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Hardcores were designed to overcome the loading dock behind Hammond building, jumping East Halls stairways and gliding the Pattee main stairs