Thread: Grab-on Grips

He be a moose too.

Grab-on Grips

I've always thought Grab-on MTN-1 grips were the best and last forever. Few years back I looked at them but the new ones were pretty mushy. I called Grab-on and they said that they were a lower density foam but they just started using higher density foam again.

Tried a new pair and they were great. I should have bought 10 pairs as when I tried again last year, they were back to the low density foam again. Talked to Grab-on and they tried but were unable to help me procure the denser grips.

Anyone know where I might find some of the denser types? If not, any other grips that closely emulate MTN-1s? I have a NOS pair from BITD, but they're going on a special build.
    Looking for:
    • Bontrager Comp crown, 1" threaded
    • Syncros Revolution, drive side 172.5

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pinguwin
    I've always thought Grab-on MTN-1 grips were the best and last forever. Few years back I looked at them but the new ones were pretty mushy. I called Grab-on and they said that they were a lower density foam but they just started using higher density foam again.

Tried a new pair and they were great. I should have bought 10 pairs as when I tried again last year, they were back to the low density foam again. Talked to Grab-on and they tried but were unable to help me procure the denser grips.

Anyone know where I might find some of the denser types? If not, any other grips that closely emulate MTN-1s? I have a NOS pair from BITD, but they're going on a special build.

Yep,
    The "new" lower density compound is terrible. I've also been looking for a set of the older style MTN -1's. I have a whole bunch of the original MTN-2's but no MTN-1's.

let me know if you find some. I posted in the "want to trade" thread.

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Have you guys tried these? They don't say Grab-On on them but they feel just like the MTN-1 grips that I put on my old Stumpjumper back in the day.

Bird watcher
    Post a pic of the grips you guys are looking for. I have a place with some older grip stock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PCC
    Have you guys tried these? They don't say Grab-On on them but they feel just like the MTN-1 grips that I put on my old Stumpjumper back in the day.
    Those are the Mtn. II style and actually the ones I prefer and use to this day. In fact that reminds me I need to install a new set on the Townie!

The Mtn. I's were round.
    m_mtn_1_grips.jpg
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ckevlar
    Post a pic of the grips you guys are looking for. I have a place with some older grip stock.

Here's pics of old style and new style with corresponding packaging. Also note the profile of the older MTN-1 grip (thats the one in over exposed pic )
    They also had a hex shape MTN-2 but the round MTN-1's are what we're looking for.

You can see from the Durometer hardness, the old style foam is much denser (higher the number harder the rubber/foam).

the feel and longevity between the two style grips are worlds apart.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigwheel
    Those are the Mtn. II style and actually the ones I prefer and use to this day. In fact that reminds me I need to install a new set on the Townie!

The Mtn. I's were round.
    m_mtn_1_grips.jpg

Those Ritchey grips are real nice. Ive used them for years on my modern stuff and they are similar to the Mtn II's but a bit softer.

He be a moose too.
    The round ones are what I'm looking for also.

CRC, I'm impressed with the durometer data. Well done.
    Looking for:

mtbr member

what do you expect from a go kart junkie?

It seems I do recall the old Grab Ons to be a bit softer than they are today after 20 years of aging...

mtbr member

seeing is believing

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    what do you expect from a go kart junkie?

It seems I do recall the old Grab Ons to be a bit softer than they are today after 20 years of aging...

Obviously, I had too much time on my hands when I took those pictures

mtbr member
    I bought a pair of new-in-the-package old Grab-ons a couple of years ago, and they were so hard that they could not even be mounted, so I guess they don't always age real well.

He be a moose too.
    One thing I'm also looking for is a pair of the firmer recently made ones, which would only be a year or two old. I had a pair that lasted for 14 years on one bike and had a good feel up until they started to split. However, with something like foam, not everything is going to age well.
    Looking for:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by datawhacker
    I bought a pair of new-in-the-package old Grab-ons a couple of years ago, and they were so hard that they could not even be mounted, so I guess they don't always age real well.

I had a set that was what I will call "undersized". Perhaps this was a byproduct of aging. I just thought they were manufactured that way.

When you say they couldn't be mounted, were they too small for the bars or just so hard, they split when you mounted them?

Ride Everything
    Does anyone know of a grip that's similar to the Ritchey WCS (not the WCS Ergo) but a little "slimmer" (on the "inboard" end)?
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

Built4Speed
    Just a thought but I do remember buying Grab-On grips at a local motorcycle shop years ago.They fit my bike without problems. Check out a M/C shop.
    "Faster and faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."