mtbr member

Goodyear Klunker

Well, I have lurked in the VRC halls for quite sometime. I reckon it's time to introduce myself. So....hello!

I figured y'all might get a kick out of my klunker. I was obviously heavily influenced by the Marin boys of the day. Bike started out as a post war Goodyear frame (re-badged ???) and added some Schwinn tandem wheels (S-2 with a Atom 5 speed drum), Suntour Cyclone and Shimano deerhead ders., Honda XL350 bars, and a bunch of other goodies.

I worked in a Schwinn shop in college and was introduced to old cruisers then. One of my best friends recently reintroduced me to mountain biking (I gave it up in 1989 for road racing). So, I built this beastie. She saw regular duty up at Annadel State Park in Sonoma County, California. However, I just picked up a "new" bike: a 1987 Team Stumpjumper.

Anyhow, thanks for all of the inspiration.

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    My Likey. I'm loving the clunkers of late. I need to do something similar!

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Nicely done. I am interested in what fork and front brake you used.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Nice and welcome to the forum.

mtbr member
    Welcome to the forum-cool bike, I like the stem. I also have a Goodyear-different style frame than yours, as best I can tell they are re-badged Columbia bicycles from Westfield Manufacturing.
    Looking for a TNT Titanium front hub....

mtbr member
    Cool ride.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

mtbr member
    The Klunker is awesome.

Is that Team Stumpy one of the pink ones? Those are neat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts View Post
    Nicely done. I am interested in what fork and front brake you used.
    Thanks! The fork is a 26" BMX-style fork that I coincidentally found in a garbage pile. It was the unassuming catalyst that got this project started. The brakes are Weinmann center pulls with what I remember as having an extraordinary amount of reach. Unfortunately, they were still a hair short (2-3mm) so I milled the drop outs on the fork (plenty of meat there). Honestly, it's what I had at the time and I was chomping at the bit to finish. They stop alright.....when dry. Something about old brake pads on wet, chromed S-2s aren't that confidence inspiring. Also, they have very little clearance with the tire and like to collect mud. In hindsight, brazing on some canti mounts would be the smarter decision.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shogun700 View Post
    Welcome to the forum-cool bike, I like the stem. I also have a Goodyear-different style frame than yours, as best I can tell they are re-badged Columbia bicycles from Westfield Manufacturing.

I believe you are right on it being a re-badged Columbia. That's the best guess so far. I bought it yeeeeeears ago and was originally equipped with a skip tooth.

The stem is early 80's but was the only one I could find that would take the motorcycle handlebars.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boy named SSue View Post
    The Klunker is awesome.

Is that Team Stumpy one of the pink ones? Those are neat.

Thanks!

The stumpy like the pink one is a lugged frame but blue and white made by Dave Tesch. The pink ones were 1985/1986 I believe. I just bought that bike as a replacement for the klunker as I was beating myself and my poor bike up. I got it from someone that left it outside under a house eave for a million years. I'll post some pics when I have her in running order.