mtbr member
    Nov 2007

? generation Kooka cranks/will these break on me?

First, thank you for any input.

I bought this crankset today for my 1998 Rat Ride 1x1 because it was cool, period correct and 110 BCD. Now, I'm reading some less than positive reviews about Kooka cranks.

Does that apply to these forged cranks? I assume these are a later generation as the progression seemed to go towards 110 from 94.

Any words of wisdom or concern? I am at least relatively light at 170 and more of a spinner than a masher. I usually swear by RF turbines, love 'em but these were quite cheap comparatively.

'appreciate it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ? generation Kooka cranks/will these break on me?-%24t2ec16v-zue9s38-c8-br-wmvqpdg%7E%7E60_57.jpg  

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Break? Maybe, more likely to have stripped threads and/or play in the square taper interface with the bottom bracket. If they are not stripped I wouldn't worry too much about breakage. Seen lots of old bikes with them still going strong. I ran a pair on a singlespeed setup for quite a while with no issues.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts View Post
    Break? Maybe, more likely to have stripped threads and/or play in the square taper interface with the bottom bracket. If they are not stripped I wouldn't worry too much about breakage. Seen lots of old bikes with them still going strong. I ran a pair on a singlespeed setup for quite a while with no issues.
    Oh yeah, they break. There are plenty of photos around this forum of ones that have cracked or failed all together.

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Check them periodically for cracks, particularly around the pedal hole, the square taper and well, anywhere else I guess. But really we should be doing that from time to time with all our stuff anyway.

Kooka didn't have a great reputation as you say, but let's be honest, any crank can crack or break.

Put them on a bike and tell the world you're living dangerously. Members of the opposite will be attracted to your devil-may-care attitude and you'll be the most hard core dude going. Either enjoy them or sell them to me.

Grumps

Two Headed Boy
    I think you'll be fine, from what I've seen from failure pictures the early Anodized Billet cranks are the ones more likely to fail. The ones I've seen failure pictures of had milled the I beam cut out closer to the pedal and it looks like it thinned it out to much and caused fatigue failure from too much flex. Your cranks look to be latter models and have more material closer to the pedal threads. I would just inspect for cracks and ride them, and check them after rides for a while just to be sure
    tSETFREEBYLOVEt

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grumpy View Post
    Put them on a bike and tell the world you're living dangerously. Members of the opposite will be attracted to your devil-may-care attitude and you'll be the most hard core dude going. Either enjoy them or sell them to me.
    Grumps
    I have several pairs of these too Grumps. They're great. Aren't they from down undah?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks for the input, guys. I typically leave the saddle these days so if something does go, it should be less of a deal. This 1x1 is more of a work commuter than a trail rig anyway.

He be a moose too.
    I thought the double barrel cranks were the ones that failed on a regular basis. See this thread for more.
    Looking for:
    • Bontrager Comp crown, 1" threaded
    • Syncros Revolution, drive side 172.5