Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

funky front derailleur , help!

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  hollister 
#1 ·
got a frame the other day that uses full length housing for the front derailleur, the cable gets pinched down at the bottom bracket shell, what in the heck am i lookin for?

#5 · (Edited)
You need a bottom-pull to top-pull front derailleur adapter. It bolts to the cable clamp bolt on the derailleur.

I think I have pics of one installed......

The add on piece acts as a housing stop and the cable goes through it and anchors to the frame near the BB.

I don't know where you can get one, sorry.

#6 ·
trek also used that style which is the bike pictured above
you should be able to make any top pull front derailleur will work that is the appropiate clamp diameter.
other than that a down pull front derailleur with the barrel adjuster and mounting hardware that is used on a side pull brake will work if installed where the cable anchor bolt normally goes. I have done this before but no longer have the bike to show. if you want pictures of the pieces let me know

#9 ·
Yeah, that's a shimano adapater to turn a bottom pull derailleur into a top pull. I looked for a while to find one, only to source it at my LBS. It's just a small plate. Would be pretty easy to make at home if you can't find the shimano part.

#10 ·
fervor_1 said:
Yeah, that's a shimano adapater to turn a bottom pull derailleur into a top pull. I looked for a while to find one, only to source it at my LBS. It's just a small plate. Would be pretty easy to make at home if you can't find the shimano part.
Like someone else said above, just find some old sidepull road bike brakes. The cable stop they use will thread right into the FD cable attachment point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.