mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Fork / stem issues : Schwinn Impact Pro 1991

So I was replacing the POS suspension fork someone put on this bike, with a ridgid one. I saw it came with a Schwinn G-Force shock so I ordered one on ebay. Apparently the specs/sizes must be different, and now I'm screwed. The stem doesn't fit inside the fork. How many darn different kinds of G force forks are there anyway???

Now I just wasted another $20, right? I mean there is no way to make this fit. I don't know what to do now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fork / stem issues : Schwinn Impact Pro 1991-securedownload.jpg  

Fork / stem issues : Schwinn Impact Pro 1991-bike2.jpg  

Fork / stem issues : Schwinn Impact Pro 1991-bike3.jpg  

Fork / stem issues : Schwinn Impact Pro 1991-bike4.jpg  

mtbr member
    I'm not getting this. Same headset with both forks? Does the rigid fork fit the frame? Ant reducing headsets in this mix?
    If the fork fits the frame, you could get a stem that fits.
    The nut that's on the quilled stem in the last photo goes on the fork steerer threads. Does it fit?
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    The problem is the stem doesn't fit inside the fork tube of the rigid fork . Apparently this one won't work. Now I'm stuck without a fork.

Same headset yes, different fork. The fork I took odd was some Walmart suspension.

Hi.
    Someone else may be able to chime in with other advice, but to me it looks as though your previous fork was probably a 1 1/8" threaded fork. You bought a 1" threaded fork, which is why your stem is too big.

Measure the diameter of each steer tube to verify, but from the catalog it looks as though the OEM headset was Tange 34mm, which is 1 1/8".

Schwinn Impact Pro MOS

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    You are probably right. Crap. What's a Tange?

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Maybe you should try and take it to a LBS.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by smello View Post
    You are probably right. Crap. What's a Tange?
    Tange is the tubing manufacturer for the fork.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    The LBS that sold this is still in business, but I doubt they would have this fork anymore. I'm Africa's to think what they would charge for a new rigid fork of they even stick this type. I wanted to keep this bike cheap.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post

Quote Originally Posted by jettore View Post
    Tange is the tubing manufacturer for the fork.
    Or the headset in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by smello View Post
    The LBS that sold this is still in business, but I doubt they would have this fork anymore. I'm Africa's to think what they would charge for a new rigid fork of they even stick this type. I wanted to keep this bike cheap.
    Perhaps you can pick up a cheap donor bike somewhere (sometimes for free) or you can find someone to trade with.

Usually the old, cheap commuter style bikes aren't worth messing with too much. If yours doesn't work out, sell it to someone who can fix it up and move on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    Someone else may be able to chime in with other advice, but to me it looks as though your previous fork was probably a 1 1/8" threaded fork. You bought a 1" threaded fork, which is why your stem is too big.

Measure the diameter of each steer tube to verify, but from the catalog it looks as though the OEM headset was Tange 34mm, which is 1 1/8".

Schwinn Impact Pro MOS
    Agreed but then wouldn't the rigid fork he's trying to put on, if it is 1", not work because the headset fit on the 1 1/8 fork that came off?
    Yes, measure both steerer tubes.
    If the rigid fork is 1", and the susp fork you took off is 1 1/8, you can get a reducing headset and a quilled stem to make it work.
    Or even better, since IF you'll have to get a different headset, might as well go threadless and greatly widen you fork selection, if your frames headtube is for 1 1/8".

I say "if" you have to buy a headset cause somethings not adding up for me unless you do.
    Did the fork come with a headset?
    Last edited by theMeat; 08-04-2012 at 02:28 PM.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Keep the fork. Get a replacement Stem that fits...

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Howley View Post
    Keep the fork. Get a replacement Stem that fits...
    And how do you suggest he fit the 1" fork into his 1 1/8" headtube/headset?

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    Agreed but then wouldn't the rigid fork he's trying to put on, if it is 1", not work because the headset fit on the 1 1/8 fork that came off?
    Yes, measure both steerer tubes.
    If the rigid fork is 1", and the susp fork you took off is 1 1/8, you can get a reducing headset and a quilled stem to make it work.
    Or even better, since IF you'll have to get a different headset, might as well go threadless and greatly widen you fork selection, if your frames headtube is for 1 1/8".

I say "if" you have to buy a headset cause somethings not adding up for me unless you do.
    Did the fork come with a headset?
    Correct, it wouldn't work. I'm assuming the fork came with a crown race, or it doesn't fit right. Hard to tell from the pics.

Smello, don't listen to Howley if the fork steer tubes are different diameters. Don't waste money on a reducer headset (if they even make those for threaded steer tubes?) A threadless setup is also a waste of money in your case - it doesn't matter whether you have threaded or threadless unless you're really looking to upgrade your bike. In which case you still need a non-suspended rigid fork to keep the geometry the same.

So what are the diameters of the two steer tubes?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    I'm assuming the fork came with a crown race, or it doesn't fit right. Hard to tell from the pics.

So what are the diameters of the two steer tubes?
    Yeah, or the rigid fork came with a reducing headset, then he just needs a quilled stem and all's good..
    He could widen his search to include whole bikes that have a fork that'll work as you suggest, and maybe get a better stem too, but 1 1/8 threadless is much more around these days, as far as stem and fork selection. Also a wider selection on 1 1/8 threadless whole bikes he can take everything off of, headset/fork/stem, whatever.
    We're all just guessing anyways, since we don't even know for sure what size headtube he's got,..... plus I no longer hear his bellow, it seems that this fellow, that they call Smello, has moved on.
    Hello!
    Last edited by theMeat; 08-06-2012 at 08:33 PM.
    Round and round we go

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Hopefully he's gone to the LBS.