Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mountaingoatcycles.com

Fisher Grateful Dead bike

On to the MOMBAT Fisher page! I never really cared for these bikes but it is probably the one that we get the most inquiries about. I still have the original box for this one and only took it out a couple of years ago. I suppose it should have been left in the box but I'd rather look at the bike than a big old slab of cardboard?

]

More details and pictures @ http://mombat.org/1995_Fisher_Dead.htm

mtbr member
    Now if you had one of the Red Rocker bikes made by Fisher for Sammy Hagar, that would be something. Not much but something.

I think I'ld prefer to look at a box than this one though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Fisher Greatful Dead bike

The funny thing about the Greatful Dead bike and the Red Rocker is they were ordinary Hoo Koo E Koos with different graphics. The Greatful Dead bike is wrapped in plastic graphics designed by Prairie Prince, former TUBES drummer. The Red Rocker was painted COMPLETELY red and sold only at Sammy Hagars bike shop in Sausalito-now called Mike's Bikes at Gate 6 road in Sausalito. I was chatting with Gary Fisher about these two bikes a couple of days ago and he said they sold less than a thousand of the G.D. bikes and around 3-4 hundred Red Rockers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FairfaxPat
    The funny thing about the Greatful Dead bike and the Red Rocker is they were ordinary Hoo Koo E Koos with different graphics. The Greatful Dead bike is wrapped in plastic graphics designed by Prairie Prince, former TUBES drummer. The Red Rocker was painted COMPLETELY red and sold only at Sammy Hagars bike shop in Sausalito-now called Mike's Bikes at Gate 6 road in Sausalito. I was chatting with Gary Fisher about these two bikes a couple of days ago and he said they sold less than a thousand of the G.D. bikes and around 3-4 hundred Red Rockers.
    When we sold the GD bikes new, our rep told us the stickers used a six stage silkscreening process, as opposed to a four stage process for the normal stickers. He said that contributed in part to the increase in price over a regular HKEK as well.

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

The G.D. models were nice and all but...

Heck, I still wish that I'd never sold my plain, gray Hoo-Koo-E-Koo.....
    I miss that bike. My first "real" mountainbike. :-(
    Hindsight's always 20/20....
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

mtbr member

Decals

Does anyone have a set of the decals for the Dead-Fisher bike? I have the down tube GD bones and looking for the rest of the set . Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Gary Fisher Grateful Dead bike & accessories

I also picked u a Grateful Dead HKEK back in the day. These bikes were part of the 1995 line-up and were out before Garcia's death. Personally, I though they were a cool looking bike and the shop I bought it at gave me a good deal on it since I was buying a Fisher Cronus at the same time. My bike is still in the original box and has never been assembled.

It was in the 1995 catalog and dealers also advertised it with a poster from Fisher that showed the bone art but it was different than what was on the bike. Fisher actually made a few accessories that went along with the Dead bike but they weren't stocked in too many shops here in northern NJ. They made really cool tee shirts with the coghead logo on the front bone art on the back that mirrored the bike's down turn and a subtle "Gary Fisher" on the sleeve. They also made two sizes of the water bottles for these bikes with the coghead logo. I have all of the accessories as well. I't's been a while since I've even looked at the bike (a.k.a. box). I can take pix and post them if anybody wants.

I also have a Fisher Klunker in the box too that a shop gave me a decent deal on so I had to take it. I was a Fisher guy way back when but have since switched over to Ellsworths. I still do ride my Cronus because it hanldes grear and I love the feel of riding a steel bike.

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by truth-rider
    I also picked u a Grateful Dead HKEK back in the day. These bikes were part of the 1995 line-up and were out before Garcia's death. Personally, I though they were a cool looking bike and the shop I bought it at gave me a good deal on it since I was buying a Fisher Cronus at the same time. My bike is still in the original box and has never been assembled.
    Dude! see if you can carefully peel off the decals and then stick them on a nice old chrome plated bike from the mid 1980s - that would be RAD!

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mechagouki
    Dude! see if you can carefully peel off the decals and then stick them on a nice old chrome plated bike from the mid 1980s - that would be RAD!
    I was waiting for that.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I still have one and use it !!!!

Only slight damaged to the decals where the previous owner allowed the bars to rub the top tube.

Retro on Steroids
    Coulda sold a lot of them in the parking lot before the show.
    It don't mean a feng if it ain't got that
    shui.

bonked
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider
    Coulda sold a lot of them in the parking lot before the show.
    How many cheese sandwiches would they have cost?
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

Stokeless Asshat
    Quote Originally Posted by IF52
    How many cheese sandwiches would they have cost?
    Two cheese sandwiches, one Godzilla burrito, a sixer of China Cola, one cracked glass pipe, a very used tie-dye, a beat Mad Hatters hat, a touch of Humboldt love, a dozen doses and a ride to the next shows.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff
    Two cheese sandwiches, one Godzilla burrito, a sixer of China Cola, one cracked glass pipe, a very used tie-dye, a beat Mad Hatters hat, a touch of Humboldt love, a dozen doses and a ride to the next shows.

I saw the 'Dead in Buffalo in 1993, that was a crazy, crazy day.

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    My Hoo Koo E Koo was originally dark blue with purple "Gary Fisher" decals.

Was that the same year as the First Flight bike or not?

mtbr member
    I picked up a Red Rocker on Craigslist last week. Looks to be stock other than the tractor seat the woman I bought it from had on it - I replaced that with something less absurd I had laying around.

VRC Hound
    Sammy.

mtbr member
    First time I see a red Rocker.
    Can't ride 55

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sfpt
    I picked up a Red Rocker

I red it all in black and white......

Relax. I'm a pro.
    Feb 2004
    The Grateful Dead bike is hard to forgive.
    Instagram: @antoine1000
    http://tfwo.tumblr.com

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad
    Not really. Gary knew them and was deeply involved in the san fran music scene in the late 60's.

Retro on Steroids
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli
    Not really. Gary knew them and was deeply involved in the san fran music scene in the late 60's.
    In 1971 I was a rock band roadie going out with a Deadhead girl who said she knew a guy just like me, a hippie rocker bike fanatic who hung out with The Dead, and if we ever met, we would be friends instantly. One day I was riding my bike and I spotted what could only have been her friend riding with another guy, so I introduced myself.

Fifteen minutes later we were in the third floor conference room at the Grateful Dead HQ on Lincoln Avenue, smoking fatties and checking out cover art for the album Gary's friend Marmaduke had just recorded with Jerry Garcia, called "New Riders of the Purple Sage."

Then we all went for a bike ride, and Gary's friend was right. For the next 12 years we were joined at the hip(pie).

In 1992 I rode with Gary and Bob Weir to the top of Mount Tamalpais in the middle of the night, and taped the ensuing conversation for an article I sold to Dirt Rag.
    It don't mean a feng if it ain't got that
    shui.

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad
    There's a wheelset on e-bay, listed as built by Wavy Gravy, that would really set it off though.
    When you get older, much of your hate comes from knowledge and experience, which is why really old people hate everyone

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    ...non sequitur...i was the one who designed the toeclips pictured on that grateful dead bike back when i worked for gary 'what's his name'...

mtbr member
    Re: OP

Coolest. Bike. EVAR.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast