mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Englund Total Air

Who knows anything about these ?

Just scored a killer deal on the bay, Judy DH with extra sliders, top caps, a crown, and these. Eyeballed 'em, cleaned 'em up, and put air in them. Lo, and behol, they seem to hold air !!! (haven't done the dunk test, yet. I'll just check again in the morning)

Here's the question. There are some top out springs inside, and they go clickety klackity during compression. Anyone remember if this is normal ????

Looks like I have a 3 lb, 3 oz Judy DH.......Sweet..Yeah, I know, the DH had 2 dampners, and now it has none......

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Quote Originally Posted by old'skool View Post
    ... and they go clickety klackity during compression. Anyone remember if this is normal ????
    Mine don't make any noise. At least none that can be heard/felt while riding.

the new Gilbert Grape
    I put a set in a pair of 2000(ish) Judy XC (one of the first open bath models). They were super light, and I don't remember them making noise. The ride was okay - not quite as nice as the stock fork, but lighter which is what I wanted at the time.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    If anyone needs any parts, I've got some wrenches and internal small parts that have been in the parts bin for 15 years or so. I'll send'em to anyone that can use them.

mtbr member
    I went through many sets of these back in the day and ended up doing some product testing for them. I don't ever remember having the top out springs make noise.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    I have a '95 Judy SL with Englunds hanging over my workbench. Back then a Judy with Englunds was about as good as you could do for a front suspension. Mine never made any noises.
    Pisgah Area SORBA

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    ... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by old'skool View Post
    Who knows anything about these ?

Just scored a killer deal on the bay, Judy DH with extra sliders, top caps, a crown, and these. Eyeballed 'em, cleaned 'em up, and put air in them. Lo, and behol, they seem to hold air !!! (haven't done the dunk test, yet. I'll just check again in the morning)

Here's the question. There are some top out springs inside, and they go clickety klackity during compression. Anyone remember if this is normal ????

Looks like I have a 3 lb, 3 oz Judy DH.......Sweet..Yeah, I know, the DH had 2 dampners, and now it has none......
    I've had some noisy ones for a bit, and I also recall them having damping. I think it was controlled by air and even adjustable.

I wasn't super impressed with the action. I think ideally you put coil springs in and an aftermarket (White Bros) damper.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    If I recall correctly, the damping could be adjusted via a 4mm allen head located under the air valve. Just unscrew the (11-12mm???) hex surrounding the air valve, and then insert 4mm and turn clockwise for more rebound, counter clockwise for less.