Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Stokeless Asshat

The end of an era?

Or is 25.4-26.0 dead?

I just noticed that Thomson is no longer making 25.4 or 26.0 stems. If they are I can't find it on their site and none of their bars are offered in 25.4 or 26.0. I'm a big fan of their products but this just flat p!sses me off. Who should I be mad at? The industry or the consumer?
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims 80's vintage 32 or 36
    Salsa or similar stem. 1" threadless. 120 with rise.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    I think they stopped making the 26.0 a while ago. I remember looking for one last year or so and they were hard to find. When I had to get another road bar this year, I actually went with a 31.8 clamping diameter because there were just more options and I can use the stem for road or mtn.

There still seems to be a lot fo 25.4 mm floating around. Maybe they're too busy with wheel sizes.

mtbr member
    Meh, just makes our stuff cooler.
    Harder to find but cooler

artistic...
    What bothers me is i can't find presta tubes at the LBS cause they are too busy stocking on 27.5 and 29. The planned obsolescence on the bicycle industry makes me a staunch retrogrouch.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    I kind of get the move to 31.8 - standard between road and mountain, stiffer (is this really a problem for most people?). It does seem goofy to have such a big bulge in the middle.

I was also like "whatever" about 29ers. Sure... put fat tires on a cross bike. Cool. Big wheels for big people. Sounds good. But the 27.5 just seems stupid and blatant marketing to drum up sales. Business props to Kirk Pacenti for singlehandedly pushing that standard, even if it is an abomination :-p.

But i guess you can look at it this way - it is like experiencing the birth of mountain biking all over again, where not much worked with other stuff. Yay.

mtbr member
    It's like cottered cranks, freewheels, triple cranks, flexy caliper brakes, etc. They've all been replaced by stronger, better or stiffer.

I agree with you on the 27.5 GMF. Why another rim, tire, fork, etc for a tire that's really only 1" bigger than the 26? But I do have a set mounted right now and I must say it's a very nice all around size. I think 26 will go away probably on the high end stuff. I think even DH bikes will be 27.5 soon.

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    Dude you just have a fear of commitment. 36 is where its at.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water.

Turns out, they were wrong.

31.8 was simply NOT stiff and light enough.

I present, 35mm.

Race Face 2013

WTF?

I love me some good industry jargon fappery too......

"Your favourite bars just got bigger, longer and lighter, Go figure? The magic of 35, believe the hype. Increasing the bar diameter to 35 allows us to shave material from the bar resulting in a dramatic reduction in overall weight while retaining the proven stiffness and performance Race Face bars are known for. NEW Superlow 10mm rise, slam that cockpit. Get flatbar cockpit height with the comfort and good looks of a riser bar. 760mm full width for increased control without sacrificing weight."

God this crap makes me ill. Think I need a new job.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    When I cut more than 200mm off that bar it will be even lighter still.

And 180g for an XC bar? That's portly. I hate to wonder what last years model was that had a dramatic weight savings to reach this mark.

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post

I present, 35mm.

Race Face 2013

WTF?

I love me some good industry jargon fappery too......

"Your favourite bars just got bigger, longer and lighter, Go figure? The magic of 35, believe the hype. Increasing the bar diameter to 35 allows us to shave material from the bar resulting in a dramatic reduction in overall weight while retaining the proven stiffness and performance Race Face bars are known for. NEW Superlow 10mm rise, slam that cockpit. Get flatbar cockpit height with the comfort and good looks of a riser bar. 760mm full width for increased control without sacrificing weight."

God this crap makes me ill. Think I need a new job.
    BOth sizes are wrong: we need 33.3 stem and bars. anything else is wrong. From first experience i tell you it has all the benefits from 31.8 and 35mm. Giant anounced all their bikes will be 33.3 while thomson stops production of old inneficient standards. mtbr is launcing a new subforum: 33.3.

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed View Post
    It's like cottered cranks, freewheels, triple cranks, flexy caliper brakes, etc. They've all been replaced by stronger, better or stiffer.

I agree with you on the 27.5 GMF. Why another rim, tire, fork, etc for a tire that's really only 1" bigger than the 26? But I do have a set mounted right now and I must say it's a very nice all around size. I think 26 will go away probably on the high end stuff. I think even DH bikes will be 27.5 soon.
    WE won't find presta tubes, only schrader. Want a light tire for your favorite condition? No way.. pay twice and don't complain on having 5 tires to chose from. meanwhile we gained what? Planned obsolescence is obscene.
    Try to build a rim brake mtb these days.. vees are the best choice still fro a lot of people and should be for a lot more. Lighter, simpler, better... but no: the standard is discs.

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post

I present, 35mm.
    Wow! Maybe for the extreme downhillers that jump off of roof tops and slide down cliffs this might make sense. But for the rest of us, really?

The only difference that I've noticed between a 25.4 and a 31.8 bar is that the 31.8mm bar is slightly heavier. I like that there is a "standard" bar size that fits road and mountain, but 25.4, 25.8 or 26.0 would have been fine for 99% of the riders. Downhills and sprinters (those who can put out 1500 watts) probably do need a stronger bar, but making everyone switch to accomm0date the few makes little sense (that is unless your goal is to make money instead of doing what makes sense).
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux View Post
    that is unless your goal is to make money instead of doing what makes sense
    I think that about sums it up.

mtbr member
    When was it not this way?
    It seems like generation after generation we lash out against an industry that has always been all "it's only smellz".

Stokeless Asshat
    We b!tched about 1 1/8', 1 1/4", threadless, aluminum frames, carbon, suspension, V's, disc, 29", 650b, overseas production, Camel Backs, helmets, tubeless, tig, computers, purple, tapered steer tubes and worst of all, The Marzocchi Girls.. ect..ect..ect. Look were it's gotten us.

Want:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    WE won't find presta tubes, only schrader. Want a light tire for your favorite condition? No way.. pay twice and don't complain on having 5 tires to chose from. meanwhile we gained what? Planned obsolescence is obscene.
    Try to build a rim brake mtb these days.. vees are the best choice still fro a lot of people and should be for a lot more. Lighter, simpler, better... but no: the standard is discs.
    I have no idea what the proliferation of schrader valves have to do with 650b but I'm sure someone will come up with a good solution.

V brake bike? Easy. Try getting a new cotter pin for your old school 1x cottered crankset at your local shop!

Bikes and standards move on. End of story. If it didn't, there would be no retro grouches. Be thankful you have a cause to fight for.

mtbr member
    I'm still riding (and will be racing this weekend) a 1" headset on several bikes. Never had one fail bad enough to stop a ride.

My old body will "fail" long before any of my old bikes...

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    We b!tched about ... and worst of all, The Marzocchi Girls..
    I have never once complained about them.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

slow
    Get off my lawn...

Stokeless Asshat
    It was those with "delicate sensibilities" that did. That's obviously not you or I.
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux View Post
    I have never once complained about them.

Want:

Dr Gadget is IN
    BOth sizes are wrong: we need 33.3 stem and bars. anything else is wrong. From first experience i tell you it has all the benefits from 31.8 and 35mm. Giant anounced all their bikes will be 33.3 while thomson stops production of old inneficient standards. mtbr is launcing a new subforum: 33.3.
    Fatbikes are much more fun than they should be allowed to be!

WSS/OSS: open source sealant

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    I must be in the minority but I think there's room for everything and let economics take care of what's not working for the world mountain biking community.

I like the merging of handlebar clamp diameters. Finally! I agree with GMF that it looks chunky but it is what it is.

It will be interesting to see what happens with headsets and bbs. Disc brakes are awesome. I can't set them up or anything but I like how they work.

Don't get me wrong, I love my old bikes. I just think variety ain't all that bad. The one thing that worries me are tires. Lots of things last a long, long time but tires aren't one of them. Commence hoarding 26" tires....

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    I must be in the minority but I think there's room for everything and let economics take care of what's not working for the world mountain biking community.

I like the merging of handlebar clamp diameters. Finally! I agree with GMF that it looks chunky but it is what it is.

It will be interesting to see what happens with headsets and bbs. Disc brakes are awesome. I can't set them up or anything but I like how they work.

Don't get me wrong, I love my old bikes. I just think variety ain't all that bad. The one thing that worries me are tires. Lots of things last a long, long time but tires aren't one of them. Commence hoarding 26" tires....
    I can't find brake pads for my rim brakes.. at least not on the LBS. Well, so the "support your LBS" line is not for me.I could not care for the industry reinventing head tubes and BBs every 3 yrs but when it comes to tires and rims i will pick up a fight. If i have to say good bye to 26in i will embrace CX, 700c wheels and say good bye to mountain biking. MOuntain biking has been shooting it's own feet forever. The reason it took the streets everywhere it's because it's an all terrain bike that makes us feel like kids again. It's nor because someone can jump 20 ft in Vancouver BC.

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed View Post
    I have no idea what the proliferation of schrader valves have to do with 650b but I'm sure someone will come up with a good solution.
    The LBS says stocking on high end 29er tubes, 27.5 tubes, road bikes tubes plus cheap 26in tubes is enough. No more presta 26in.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    I can't find brake pads for my rim brakes.. at least not on the LBS. Well, so the "support your LBS" line is not for me.I could not care for the industry reinventing head tubes and BBs every 3 yrs but when it comes to tires and rims i will pick up a fight. If i have to say good bye to 26in i will embrace CX, 700c wheels and say good bye to mountain biking. MOuntain biking has been shooting it's own feet forever. The reason it took the streets everywhere it's because it's an all terrain bike that makes us feel like kids again. It's nor because someone can jump 20 ft in Vancouver BC.
    We need to send you a care package every year with brake pads and presta tubes. It's ridiculous that you can't get those things near you (although I think you're not in the US). Do you travel much? Stop by a LBS and grab those things and throw them in your luggage. They are everywhere here in the US.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast