mtbr member

ebay woes......what to do?

I know its not alot of money but stilll I feel robbed!!

bontrager saddle

It did not have Titanium rails and the leather parts on the nose of the saddle (not pictured) are sagging badly. Of course he used that pic in the auction as it did not show the rails or the sagging nose. So can I only leave negative feedback? Maybe I answered my own question, just feeling lame.

Will

On MTBR hiatus :(
    No. Use negative feedback as a last resort.

Email the seller. Tell him what you told us -- the item, afterall, was misrepresented -- and ask him to refund your payment including shipping costs. But be pleasant and non-threatening, unless he doesn't get back to you.

The guy has taken a year and a half to build up his feedback and still has a 100% rating, so you can bet he'll see things your way.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

Old Bikes Suck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate

Email the seller. Tell him what you told us -- the item, afterall, was misrepresented -- and ask him to refund your payment including shipping costs. But be pleasant and non-threatening, unless he doesn't get back to you.

The guy has taken a year and a half to build up his feedback and still has a 100% rating, so you can bet he'll see things your way.
    i agree. be nice for now. if he's stubborn than you need to get threatning with the feedback. remember, if you give him negetive feeback than he will do the same to you which means you got screwed twice. that whole feedback thing doesn't work if you ask me. i reeeeeaaaaly hate sellers that hide stuff like that and then say "well, i never said it was new". they should all be strung up by their balls.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    VDUBBUSRIDER
    San Diego, CA

Keyesville Vintage Mountain bike race!
    http://www.ssfta.com/vintage-race.html

Anybody selling a Cook Bros. mtn stem? How about a blue Chris King Theaded headset?

mtbr member
    I have purchased several items on ebay but this is the first time there has been a problem, luckily.........I am bummed as I lost out on several other auctions for the right saddle that ended with lower winning bids and these saddles are getting harder to find now I have to wait and try to find another once more, lame!!!!!

I emailed the guy lets see what he decides to do.

Will

Old Bikes Suck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Williwoods
    I have purchased several items on ebay but this is the first time there has been a problem, luckily.........I am bummed as I lost out on several other auctions for the right saddle that ended with lower winning bids and these saddles are getting harder to find now I have to wait and try to find another once more, lame!!!!!

I emailed the guy lets see what he decides to do.

Will
    hope it works out quick and easy for you
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    VDUBBUSRIDER
    San Diego, CA

Keyesville Vintage Mountain bike race!
    http://www.ssfta.com/vintage-race.html

Anybody selling a Cook Bros. mtn stem? How about a blue Chris King Theaded headset?

tlg
    (enter witty phrase here)
    Quote Originally Posted by Williwoods
    I know its not alot of money but stilll I feel robbed!!

bontrager saddle

It did not have Titanium rails and the leather parts on the nose of the saddle (not pictured) are sagging badly. Of course he used that pic in the auction as it did not show the rails or the sagging nose. So can I only leave negative feedback? Maybe I answered my own question, just feeling lame.
    Did you pay by paypal? If so, contact them and explain the issue. They are great at mediating problems between seller and buyer. If you were robbed or misled, they'll get you your money back.

mtbr member
    The seller just refunded me the entire amount.........I was going to try to keep the saddle as a back-up so I will try to give the guy something for it, I just overpaid for the item. His reason for the discrepancy was "I do not know how the saddle came to be described incorrectly". But at least he is being proactive in trying to resolve the matter so negative feedback I guess is not needed.

thanks for the help guys

Will

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Good, glad to hear. I'm glad you acted in a civil manner, as well -- too many people want to rush to extreme measures when a quick email is all that's required.

I was recently in a somewhat similar position as a seller, and the buyer was very nice about explaining his problem with the merchandise. The result was the same: I refunded his full payment and let him keep the merchandise.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate

Great advice IMO.

It just takes a bit of clear communication.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Glad to hear that worked out for you. Next time you feel you want to leave negative feedback for an item, here is how you can do it without any risk of relaliation. It might be kind of a pain, but if you were to wait till the 90th day after the auction ended and then leave feedback, he probably wouldn't notice in time to get his feedback to you submitted. There is a 90 deadline on leaving feedback, which reminds me, I have to go leave some feedback (not a negative though).

mtbr member
    I had a similar problem. My fault actually, I forgot there were chainsuck marks (hidden behind the crank) on a bike which I bought used and rode for only 50km before deciding that it really was too big. Ebay-ed it, and the winning bidder told me about the marks, as well as some marks which I did not even realize were there (this was on a commuter bike so I did not pay alot of notice to it). He emailed me, and I talked to him on the phone. In the end, I took off 30% of the winning bid. We left each other positive feedbacks and I got to know a fellow biker.

Goes to show that most people are receptive to positive communication.

Great to hear positive stuff!
    fishy