Mtn Biker Machinist

Ebay Outing (GASP!)

Hope no one had their eye on this, cuz the cat's out of the bag now!

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

And I thought the price of that early DH frame Modifier posted was steep!

This was actually my first mountain bike (in turquoise), so it has some sentimental appeal, but good grief!

frog
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ebay Outing (GASP!)-mongoose-alta.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The seller is known for posting heavily inflated prices on all of their ebay items...
    Some of their bikes have been floating on ebay for a year or more.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 72tunaboat View Post
    The seller is known for posting heavily inflated prices on all of their ebay items...
    Not accusing anybody of anything, but I've heard people list things inflated to get to a certain post count and their listings become free.

Can this be true?

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 72tunaboat View Post
    Like the $799 Rockhoppers? I often wondered why they're wasting all that money on listing fees.
    Last edited by CS2; 04-18-2012 at 01:26 AM.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Not accusing anybody of anything, but I've heard people list things inflated to get to a certain post count and their listings become free.

Can this be true?
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    Like the $799 Rockhoppers? I often wondered why they're wasting all that money on listing fees.

Tim
    If you sell a certain amount and I don't know what that threshold is, yes, the listings are free and I don't know the exact number of listings that are free. Probably a sliding scale like all of their policies.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I believe the present ebay policy is normal listers can list up to 50 items per month and pay no listing fees, only a final value fee if the item sells. This of course leads to people listing items with crazy starting prices because it costs them nothing to list and they owe only a final value fee if the item sells for the listed price or higher.
    I have not sold on ebay for years until the last couple of months and have since listed about 70 items all with no listing charge regardless of the starting bid.

mtbr member
    I just spoke with one of the guys at Budget Bicycle Center. He was helpful and courteous, and admitted that some of the bikes are priced with no expectation of actually selling. They have a museum, and the ebay ads are a form of promotion, I guess. The problem I have with it is sometimes an uneducated person may have the same bike, check ebay for prices, and then they think they have a gold mine.

This is a good example. Gary Fisher Procaliber

If all they are trying to do is garner some attention, it's working. But it still bothers me.

John Galt
    Maybe it's an insurance scam-in-waiting, with these as posted values.

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    Quote Originally Posted by djmuff View Post
    I just spoke with one of the guys at Budget Bicycle Center. He was helpful and courteous, and admitted that some of the bikes are priced with no expectation of actually selling. They have a museum, and the ebay ads are a form of promotion, I guess. The problem I have with it is sometimes an uneducated person may have the same bike, check ebay for prices, and then they think they have a gold mine.

This is a good example. Gary Fisher Procaliber

If all they are trying to do is garner some attention, it's working. But it still bothers me.

Wow! 8500....yeeessh, for a total piece of junk. My '91 Procaliber was the worst mass production bike I ever bought. Arguably '91 was one of Fisher's worst years as well.
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

He be a moose too.
    Actually, it's not garnering my attention. If I see a listing and think it's from them, I don't even bother opening it. I've bought things from them over the years starting in the 90's but their prices have become stupid even if you are there in person so why bother?
    Looking for:
    • Bontrager Comp crown, 1" threaded
    • Syncros Revolution, drive side 172.5

mtbr member
    Like BBC's $5999 Yo Eddy? WTF?
    blah, blah, blah..........

www.fatcogs.com

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    From what I've seen so far their museum is no First Flight.

Witty McWitterson
    And then there's the $700 XTR cranks out there.
    Just a regular guy.