the new Gilbert Grape

Eastern Woods Research

Apparently there is no "official" EWR thread. Why not?

I've had this EWR Original Woods Bike for a while and have slowly been getting it together. Finally this weekend I put the final touches on it and did my second ride (the first ride was done with the components that came on it when I bought it and they were rough).

The frame is from '94 and the build is roughly from the same era - maybe a little newer. I had planned on doing a full anodized blue components build, but the rasta Bullseye hubs just seemed right for this bike - the yellow center sections of the hubs are a perfect match to the yellow on the frame. So the result is a not-so-well coordinated hodgepodge of bright colors.

I like the way the bike rides downhill and on flat sections of trail. The frame moves easily to where you want it to go. It's a fun ride. The climbing, however, is just okay (IMO). Out of the saddle feels good, but in the saddle climbing on the steeps isn't as good as some bikes. I think moving the bars a little further forward will help weight the front end and improve the climbing.

Anyway, here a few pics:

Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Cool early example, how does it ride?

EWR are still going, I'd love one their frames.

Ahh, cross braces on DH bars, that takes me back.

Grumps

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Eastern Woods Research

Wow great bike, thanks for sharing. Close up photos would be great.
    Bill

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I never even seeing one of this beauties in person, but I really like them anyway..

Hit The Road Cyclery
    I've always wanted one of those, but the couple of times I've seen them for sale I didn't have the cash available. One of these days...

Humanoid Lobster
    Looking for the "like" button ... oh yeah, that's on that other site.
    Don't call it a gooseneck.

mtbr member
    Sweet! Like everybody above yup always wanted one.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Thread can't be official without eastcoaststeve. Very nice, Laffeaux.

the new Gilbert Grape
    The oddest part of the frame is water bottle placement. There are bosses for two bottles: one under the down tube near the BB, and the other is behind the seat post (where I have a cage mounted). Neither is optimal for easy access - and the frame was built "pre Camelback." I guess that hydration was not a concern when it was designed.

The water bottle in the pics is for my dog. She went with me on the test ride so I added the bottle and cage for her.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux View Post
    The oddest part of the frame is water bottle placement. There are bosses for two bottles: one under the down tube near the BB, and the other is behind the seat post (where I have a cage mounted). Neither is optimal for easy access - and the frame was built "pre Camelback." I guess that hydration was not a concern when it was designed.

The water bottle in the pics is for my dog. She went with me on the test ride so I added the bottle and cage for her.
    It's your future tri bike.

Chucklehead
    1994 in white. 2008 in blue. I bought the white one new in 1994 after following Jay around Philly Interbike like a drooling puppy. A friend had it for a couple years, but it will never 'leave the family'
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Eastern Woods Research-img_1886small.jpg  

Eastern Woods Research-img_4861small.jpg  

Eastern Woods Research-img_4854small.jpg  

Eastern Woods Research-fresh.jpg  

The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Thread can't be official without eastcoaststeve. Very nice, Laffeaux.

Hahaha...saw this thread yesterday, but didn't have time to reply.

I always get a bit green eyed when somebody posts one of these...yes, i want one badly,
    but they seldom pop up and when they do they're generally priced out of my cheapskate budget.
    I hammered craigslist for quite a while a while back trying to nab one, but struck out.

Glad to see this one ended up in capable hands.

Great build Laffeaux...I like it A LOT!

Thanks for the rider report too...living vicariously through you, lol.

Steve

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    very nice bike...I too would like one...maybe one of these days...Jay did some neat things with geometry for technical east coast riding...always wanted to try one, but I am too much of a sucker for full suspension....even back then.
    I couldnt imagine riding with the bars much more forward though...I have a rough time with long stems already...but you would know better since its yours...and you rode it.......have fun.

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by syklystt View Post
    I couldnt imagine riding with the bars much more forward though...I have a rough time with long stems already...but you would know better since its yours...and you rode it.......have fun.
    I rotated the bars a little forward but kept the same stem - I'll give that a shot to see how it feels. Likely due to the short stays, on steep climbs the front end wants to lift a bit too easily. It's nice when the trail is rocky, but not so good when it's smooth.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I love short stays...you can manual sooo nice with them....I like a dynamic ride...as in...jumping every root and rock I see and manualing whenever possible....ADHD..I just cant ride still.

I love short stays...you can manual sooo nice with them....I like a dynamic ride...as in...jumping every root and rock I see and manualing whenever possible....ADHD..I just cant ride still.
    RE: "Manual"

Waltworks Bicycles: Thursday afternoon quick rant: you can't manual

Why would you own 100 Yugos when you could own 1 Porsche? - Rumpfy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux View Post
    I rotated the bars a little forward but kept the same stem - I'll give that a shot to see how it feels. Likely due to the short stays, on steep climbs the front end wants to lift a bit too easily. It's nice when the trail is rocky, but not so good when it's smooth.
    Try it again but with less water in your bottle.

Cool lookin' machine if rocks, roots, and trials are your thing. Can't imagine the short stays help cornering at speed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ameybrook View Post
    thats a cool rant....actually, id like to see him manual an original hanebrink fat tire bike...but I do agree with most of what he said..I rode for many years before learning to manual well, but now I incorporate it into almost everything, it makes things more fun...especially good fordowned trees around 26" in diameter and larger (tire size)...alot of speed and a big manual...then just lift the legs and its over easy...learning to hop and jump while manualing makes all kinds of stuff fun....as far as cornering, well, the only bike that I have super short stays on never gets ridden in the dirt, so its always on berms (wood)....I can manual most any bike but what the guy is missing in a short rant is that geometry and setup change the ease of doing it...but with everything else...there are many trade offs to short stays.

I think you're missing the point. If your "manual"-ing involves getting over downed trees, you're not doing a manual. You're simply lifting your wheel for a brief second to navigate an obstacle. But I'm not going to get into a semantic battle over it. You're the boss.

Why would you own 100 Yugos when you could own 1 Porsche? - Rumpfy

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    ha...but i do agree...I just use it all over...its just too fun.....still learnin it though...it is a bit difficult.
    Once you learn to manual well, then you learn to jump while manualing....kinda like a pre wheelie bunnyhop....just more silly tricks for kids.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Can we get back on topic?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    ummm...i belive it is on topic...Jay built these bikes for handling, which i was commenting on....as stated, these bikes are made for riding roots, rocks, logs...tough, technical stuff....the stuff I love to ride.
    As stated earlier, I would have been on one for a long time if it werent for my love for full suspension.....with that said, I will probably own one someday, just so I can try one out and have one in the collection.
    back on track now?

mtbr member
    ummm...i belive it is on topic...Jay built these bikes for handling, which i was commenting on....as stated, these bikes are made for riding roots, rocks, logs...tough, technical stuff....the stuff I love to ride.
    As stated earlier, I would have been on one for a long time if it werent for my love for full suspension.....with that said, I will probably own one someday, just so I can try one out and have one in the collection.
    back on track now?
    I love FS too. I'm only an ok manualer and, chainstay length aside, it seems easier to manual with rear suspension for me. Does anyone else feel that way? More forgiving??

As for short stays, it makes it easier to get to your balance point (front wheel is lower) but maybe not necessarily easier to keep it there. But on the other end of the spectrum, my Funk 29er has fairly long stays and it's balance point feels like I'm on up on a ladder.

Sorry GOB.