Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Early Stumpjumper find in the Texas hill country

While looking through a junk shop outside of Seguin, TX I spotted an old Stumpjumper, flat cracked tires and a rusty chain, but otherwise complete with little rust. It appeared to be original with the exception of the grips (mushroom something...). The bike shop sticker was out of Utah. Got her for $20, put 15psi in both tires (most I dared given the condition of the tires), shifted through all the gears, rode a nice long wheely and put it in the truck for the ride home to Houston.

After some inspection and research I believe it to be a 1982. Hopefully some of you can tell me more about my find! Early Stumpjumper find in the Texas hill country-stumpy-sn.jpg

I'll post more pics soon!

Thanks,

Jeff

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    You need to post photos of the whole bike, not just the serial number, please.

mtbr member
    My picture of the entire bike was too large. I need to resize it before posting again, I'll try and get that done here in a few. Thanks

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Check it out!

Early Stumpjumper find in the Texas hill country-stumpy-full.jpg
    I need tires for sure, I may replace the chain too if it doesn't clean & free up some.

Let me know what ya'll think!

Jeff

ish
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Looks pretty nice and almost completely original. What a deal!

To be honest, it's probably a better candidate for a cleanup and preservation rather than a rider. That saddle is super rare.

mtbr member
    Thanks! The saddle isn't as clean as it appears in the pictures... It may fall to pieces one ridden.

mtbr member
    Anyone have any thoughts on the serial number? It seems lower than others I've seen, not sure what the first few digits mean though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    that is a nice stumpjumper...wow. I like it!

Klunker Kev`
    That serial number would mean April of 82. Great find, get`er cleaned up!
    Wanted: Ritchey built Frame/Fork 85 or earlier.

mtbr member
    Nice find. PM me if you're interested in trading those Mushroom grips for an original set of Stumpjumper grips wtih the original red bar cap. I need some Mushrooms!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Great old stump you got there. I'm amazed you got it for 20 bucks. I also cast my vote for clean it up and ride it.
    All vintage all the time. Nothing like a nice chromo frame with some properly adjusted cantilevers.

mtbr member
    A few more pics while disassembling and partially cleaning my Stumpy last night.
    Early Stumpjumper find in the Texas hill country-stumpy-front.jpgEarly Stumpjumper find in the Texas hill country-stumpy-suzie.jpgEarly Stumpjumper find in the Texas hill country-stumpy-wheelsmith.jpgEarly Stumpjumper find in the Texas hill country-stumpy-rear-wheel.jpg
    I'm going to do my best to get ride able tires on her and the drivetrain tuned up for a camping trip this weekend.

I'm really impressed by how easy it has been to clean up so far! I'm going to go a little deeper tonight, but I think I'll save the complete tear down, clean and re grease for another time.

Jeff

mtbr member
    I gave her a pretty good scrubbing and polish last night, the wheels were very true, the free hub seems rough, and the chain is a lost cause. It still made a hot lap around the neighborhood with out incident! I spoke to my buddy who was a Specialized rep until last year, he says they have some NOS replacement parts, no tires or grips though... He can still get the reproduction tires from the old/new Stumpy they made a short run of back in 2010.

Early Stumpjumper find in the Texas hill country-stumpy-clean-rear.jpg

I'll post a few more of her once I get tires, and maybe one from the trail this weekend!

Thanks for looking,

Jeff

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    boy she cleaned up very nice!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Looks impressive. Great find Can't wait to see it all cleaned up in its natural habitat!

mtbr member
    Thanks for your comments!

Early Stumpjumper find in the Texas hill country-stumpy-drive-clean.jpgEarly Stumpjumper find in the Texas hill country-stumpy-full-clean.jpg

Last pics before I get her in the dirt!!

Anyone know how hide of tire I can mount on her? NOS tires aren't going to happen on my beer budget, but a modern set of Specialized Ground Controls may be in the cards. I'd love to fit 2.2's but I may be dreaming, not much space between the stays! The dry rotted tires that came on her are holding steady at 20psi, they survived a 2 mile paved ride and a few fat boy wheelies! All I need is to bust my a$$ milking the last 100 yards out of these 20 year old tires!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    You own original mountain bike history now! I say clean it up and use it as a townie rider. If you trail ride it, and you bust a rim, you can't get a replacement for it. Put street tires on and enjoy it for local rides. A great find, I envy you!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I found an 82 Stumpjumper last year about a mile from my house, it too was all original except for the saddle. Mine was missing some of the decals, got replacements through Velocals. I cleaned mine up, removed some rust, re - greased the bb, stem, brakes and seatpost, the wheels rolled incredible, replaced the chain, cables/ housings and saddle, it rides great, even commute to work on it some days. I paid $10 for mine, lady said it was her dad's, that he bought new, the only difference I see between your and mine is the bars/ stem, mine has a one piece bullmouse bar. Anyway, nice bike, preserve it.

mtbr member
    On a whim I e-mailed the bike shop who's sticker is on my Stumpy asking if he might have any history in it. See below for his reply:

Jeff,

WAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY COOL!!! Why is it that I never have luck like that? My name is Matt #######. I am the owner and have been around since day 1. My dad started The Bike Shoppe in '76 and we were one of the 1st Specialized dealers in the state to sell the Stumpjumpers. What a cool bike! They really did wheelie nice. You are one lucky man. Congrats on your sweet find. We did build that bike new and it does look very original. Thanks for sharing and for sending the pics. I'm definitely envious.

Matt

The Bike Shoppe

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I didn't hold my breath when you said you found it in a junk shop but that has cleaned up very nicely. I have never had a stumpjumper but it is on my list for sure.

mtbr member
    Where are you located in Houston, I'd like to see that sweet find in person.
    Klunk on............

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Excellent find. Just a bit before my time in bikes but not by much. What a fantastic bike to take out on nice days and just cruise the town.

I just did a same year vintage something or other. The brake pads were toast, but i kept them in the shop to show younger riders what used to be standard.

Bill

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crossracer View Post
    Excellent find. Just a bit before my time in bikes but not by much. What a fantastic bike to take out on nice days and just cruise the town.

I just did a same year vintage something or other. The brake pads were toast, but i kept them in the shop to show younger riders what used to be standard.

Bill
    It's before my time too! Hell I could barley ride a bike in 1982!!!

mtbr member

New Shoes

Early Stumpjumper find in the Texas hill country-stumpy-new-shoes.jpg

Found some vintage looking treads off of Craigslist over the weekend! 2.2 width is a tight fit in the rear... maybe 2-3mm clearance, this would not be acceptable on my main ride, but works fine on my knock around!

Time to burn some winter flab off the trail dog...

BTW the camping trip was a rain out, dirt pics soon!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast