bullmoose
    Aug 2007

Early Rockhopper clues - Bullmoose vs. splash paint accent

The earliest Rockhoppers I've seen are single color (blue or red) and have bullmoose handlebars, Suntour Mountech derailleurs, and unicrown forks. I think some of these date to 1985 (notwithstanding Firstflight's list for this model starting in 1986). My question is when the splash paint accent around the Rockhopper script began?

I have a teal/green Rockhopper with a serial number that ends in G0385 with bullmoose handlebars and that (light green) splash accent behind the pink Rockhopper/Specialized scripts. Obviously with these bikes now being almost thirty years old it is perfectly possible for a previous owner to have mixed and matched components--added a bullmoose handlebar later, for instance--but I'm still curious about the earliest examples of this paint style.

Thanks.

Reuben

CS2
    mtbr member
    I have an 89 with the Splash. I've also seen 88's, U-Brake equipped, with the Splash. I also have red that was Shimano equipped with a standard stem. Also have a Yellow with same group. There was a Bullmoose version in 85 like you said. Don't see too many of them anymore.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

Certified Bike Junkie
    [QUOTE=CS2;9538795] I've also seen 88's, U-Brake equipped, with the Splash.QUOTE]

That was my first mountan bike. But mine had a Salsa stem. (Pic stolen from the web)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Need: McMahon brake for roller cam mounts, Mountain Goat fork.

CS2
    mtbr member
    [QUOTE=muddybuddy;9538877]
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    I've also seen 88's, U-Brake equipped, with the Splash.QUOTE]

That was my first mountan bike. But mine had a Salsa stem. (Pic stolen from the web)
    I have the 89 Comp with the lighter blue and canti's on both ends. It was my first MTB too.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    I'm stumped w/o a picture of your ride as to what year it is. '88 was the first year Special Ed started doing the weird graphics, and about '91 they kinda came back to normal.

I have an '85, by the way. Love the way it rides. Got it w/o the bullmose bars which is fine with me, those things looked cool but kind scared me for some reaason.
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....