mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Does anyone have a freewheel grease injector tool?

I am trying to find a Stein freewheel grease injector tool to buy for my shop. I didn't see a place in the classifieds for tools.
    Thanks

Hit The Road Cyclery
    I'm not aware of any Stein grease injector, but you're probably thinking of the Morningstar Free-Hub Buddy: http://www.morningstartools.com/freehub_buddy1.html

Paul Morningstar is an interesting character (to say the least) and can be a great source of information on bicycle repair and tools, just don't let him start talking about politics or you'll be in for the longest conspiracy theory lecture of your life. Break our your tinfoil hat .

velocipede technician
    http://www.jastein.com/Tools_for_Wheels.htm

one of these knuckle heads didn't put it back last time they used it, this is gonna bug me
    looking for 20-21" P team

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have already contacted Stein, he is out of stock, as is every other supplier I have access too. Just hoping someone has one they don't use anymore.

mtbr member
    I know I had one at one time, but can't for the life of me find it. I'll keep my eyes open and see if it turns up. I did find a freehub buddy.

Pete

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks for that. I know it's a rarely used tool, but it comes in handy to refurbish vintage and even some modern hubs (read cheap). We have alot of classics here in Leadville that we get to tinker with. It would be a nice touch to be able to repack the freehubs and quiet things down!

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by hollister
    http://www.jastein.com/Tools_for_Wheels.htm

one of these knuckle heads didn't put it back last time they used it, this is gonna bug me
    i liked those tire levers...
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

mtbr member
    I like the Morningstar freehub buddy and the goop he sells to inject. I've heard warnings about grease in freewheels interfering with the pawls, but I used boat axle grease on my Ringle freehub because it has no seals whatsoever, and its still working.

bonked
    Yeah, grease can jam up the pawl action. We used to inject Winner Pro freewheels since they have a little hole in the thread area that allows for this. Dualco gun worked great for this. Anyway, we used thin grease for this purpose, I don't recall what, but once in a while somebody would inject a heavier grease and it would impare the pawls ability to engage.
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

Visitor
    I have a Winner Pro freewheel and did not know about the "hole in the threaded area." I have complete XC Pro (grease guard) group on my Wicked Fat. I think I am hearing that I can use the same little grease gun to inject the the freewheel? Can you give me a lead on what kind of "thin grease" I should use to inject the freewheel? Thanks.

bonked
    I can't recall right off. Originally when we would clean freewheels in the parts washer we would run Phil's tenacious oil through them. It worked pretty well, but you had to re-oil them pretty often, which wasn't that big a deal since we cleaned the drivetrains on bikes fairly regularly because of how nasty Georgia clay can be. Then we found the Dualco guns in the United catalog and got a few of them for the shop area. I want to say whatever it was was really thin and white. It's been almost 20 years ago. We eventually packed the guns full of Park grease all the time. That may have been thin enough too, I don't recall.

EDIT And I don't think it was goose grease. It may have been but I'm thinking finish line. Whichever was thinner. I know we played with both.

Spin off your freewheel and look in the upper portion of the threads for a tiny hole. Again, it has been a long time ago, but I am pretty sure it was the Winner Pro freewheels since that is what I ran on my Gianni Motta and I recall injecting the freewheels I had for that bike.
    Last edited by IF52; 06-09-2008 at 08:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!