mtbr member
    May 2006

Dirt Research Kobuk!!!!

Hello MTB riders,I have ordered and received on of the NOS Dirt Research frames from Reid!,and I will be posting some pics of the bike when it is finished.The frame is very well made!Nicely done!!!!!!.I wish they were still around.Any thoughts why they folded.Could it have been the Repack guys????Fisher/Ritchey/Marin to name a fewI know there is more to it than a few bike companys,anyway building it now and when its done I will post pics!!!!

Thumbs Up!
    I'm not sure if Repack was the reason for their demise. I do think that they (Yokota/Dirt Research) were very underated bikes. I am currently riding/enjoying Reid's old personal Half Dome.

Photobucket

"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth"
    Mike Tyson

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zufish
    Hello MTB riders,I have ordered and received on of the NOS Dirt Research frames from Reid!,and I will be posting some pics of the bike when it is finished.The frame is very well made!Nicely done!!!!!!.I wish they were still around.Any thoughts why they folded.Could it have been the Repack guys????Fisher/Ritchey/Marin to name a fewI know there is more to it than a few bike companys,anyway building it now and when its done I will post pics!!!!
    Care to share the build details before you post your pics? I was thinking about getting one the framesets myself.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I picked up 2 of those frames last year (I ended up with the Pecos). I posted details here
    Those NOS Steel Dirt Research Frames on Ebay: Here's some more info
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailville
    I picked up 2 of those frames last year (I ended up with the Pecos). I posted details here
    Those NOS Steel Dirt Research Frames on Ebay: Here's some more info
    Great link, thanks for posting it.

bonked
    I had one for a while. I used it to experiment with drop bars on a mtn bike. Seemed to fit that bill really well, but I didn't really like it as much with flat bars.
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

mtbr member
    May 2006

Smile

Ok Kids here is the Current build for the DR Kobuk.Marzocchi Cosa 100mm.Easton bar,fsa stem,cane creek s3 hset,LX 9 speed cranks,Kore seatpost ,Geax Arrojo 2.0 tyres.Eight speed drivetrain,XT shifters,Avid sdigit7 brakes,and Levers.Bontrager Superstock wheelset.Alot of these parts were on hand,some were ordered.The fork is a bit long for the bike But I am very light and can run Alot of sag,So What if the Geo is slackened!!!!!This build is a second bike for local NC piedmont Singletrack trails,I doubt it will ever see the Pisgah National Forest!!!!!!!!.If it doesnt work the way I Thought I will git the Voodoo Bizango I originally wanted!!!!!

HIYAH
    !!!!!
    TTHHHHHHHHHPPPPPPPPPTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

mtbr member
    May 2006

Cool-blue Rhythm Twinkees and Guinness

Dude did your tees hssss and pees git stuck on your computer,From twinkee crumbs?Or were you trying to Imply the overuse of !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That?by the way.Guinness compliments the Twinkees nicely.

HIYAH
    ????

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007
    This thread needs more pictures - thinking of buying one of the $220 Columbus EL frames this guy has to use as a mud bike, would like to see more finished bikes. Does no-one still make a 63mm fork? If not I know the Fox f80 has a very short axle to crown.

HIYAH
    I don't see any 220 bikes...I just see the $150's...

They look nice for the money. I picked up a couple similar IRD's years ago that turned out to be great quality.

Witty McWitterson
    This thread just needs to make sense. It needs more of everything. Information. Pictures. Links. More Pictures. And coherent typing.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member

Yosemite

A co worker gave me her old never used Yokoda Yosemite (fresh white with red lettering) she had bought new in the early 90's. I Stripped it of all it's DX components and put the frame in the recycle bin last week. I guess for you collectors of these frames, I just increased the rarity of your bike by one.
    Sorry, I should have asked if anyone wanted it.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aemmer
    A co worker gave me her old never used Yokoda Yosemite (fresh white with red lettering) she had bought new in the early 90's. I Stripped it of all it's DX components and put the frame in the recycle bin last week. I guess for you collectors of these frames, I just increased the rarity of your bike by one.
    Sorry, I should have asked if anyone wanted it.
    I wanted it.

Witty McWitterson
    dude. WTF! A nos frame? and you toss it? I hereby demand that you give up your vintage rights, right now!
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member

Amends

Not quite NOS. It had plenty of garage wear. I posted it in the trade only thread three weeks ago. Nobody asked me about it so figured there wasn't anybody interested in these bikes. Shucks, too late now. Hung on to everything else but the frame. I have a hard enough time hiding the bikes I love around the garage and attic without making room for one that I don't desire.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

mtbr member
    May 2006

old bikes dont go away,they get thrown in the recycle bin

Hey do you happen to have any old,steel Kona bike frames,Or maybe something that Tom T welded on,Or even a bottom shelf Joe Murray inspired bike,That is headed for the dump if so E Mail me pronto!

mtbr member
    Not dump, recycle.

All my Kona's are Aluminum and my only Fisher was made in the far east. Sorry, they are all keepers to me.

The Atmosphere here on VRC is not structured in a way where you can comfortably offer up a mid priced frame to fellow members after you have ravaged the bike for parts. I have no desire to hear the wrath of the group as to why I am trying to dispose of a mid level bike on their website. I did post it on the trade post for several weeks before dismissing to the recycle bin.

Missed your post by 5 days (recycle day is Thursday) after sitting on the bike for a couple of months. If you have a need for the fork, let me know and I will happily send it your way for the cost of shipping.

Cheers,
    T

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aemmer
    Not dump, recycle.

All my Kona's are Aluminum and my only Fisher was made in the far east. Sorry, they are all keepers to me.

The Atmosphere here on VRC is not structured in a way where you can comfortably offer up a mid priced frame to fellow members after you have ravaged the bike for parts. I have no desire to hear the wrath of the group as to why I am trying to dispose of a mid level bike on their website. I did post it on the trade post for several weeks before dismissing to the recycle bin.

Missed your post by 5 days (recycle day is Thursday) after sitting on the bike for a couple of months. If you have a need for the fork, let me know and I will happily send it your way for the cost of shipping.

Cheers,
    T
    We're just kidding you. It's all in fun. You did what you did, no big deal.

mtbr member
    May 2006

... and if we just ... Yeah just poking fun!

Hey just poking fun,Anyway the current bike I am building is going nicely.I shopped for a Budget minded Build and thats what I got,Some parts new,some used.I think when the Kobuk is at Local trailhead,some will stare and say, What the farp,Where in the farp,How in the Farp.And some will ask Hey did you git that at a garage sale?Just Kidding it will be finished this week,still waiting on a couple of pieces.I will post some pics soon!!!!!.And remember Guinness first,Then Twinkee,Repeat untill done!