Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Dilemma, ride or sell older components

610 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  HoSS 
#1 ·
I recently picked up a MINT '94 Slingshot built up with all period parts. It's loaded with M900 XTR FR & RR Der., shifter brake lever combo & canti's. The headset is a threaded XT ,the wheelset is XTR/Mavic 217 and fork is an AMP F1. Everything is just beautiful. Pics coming soon.

The issue is, this is my first geared mtn bike in years as I primarily ride SS. It will be my back up bike and used in endurance races if I decide to take a break from the SS or just want gears. The bike will see some wear and tear.

Now, do I ride these parts and enjoy them and possibly ruin them or take them off and install modern components that won't break my heart if I bust them up. This may be a silly question but I torn.

#2 ·
HoSS said:
I recently picked up a MINT '94 Slingshot built up with all period parts. It's loaded with M900 XTR FR & RR Der., shifter brake lever combo & canti's. The headset is a threaded XT ,the wheelset is XTR/Mavic 217 and fork is an AMP F1. Everything is just beautiful. Pics coming soon.

The issue is, this is my first geared mtn bike in years as I primarily ride SS. It will be my back up bike and used in endurance races if I decide to take a break from the SS or just want gears. The bike will see some wear and tear.

Now, do I ride these parts and enjoy them and possibly ruin them or take them off and install modern components that won't break my heart if I bust them up. This may be a silly question but I torn.
That Slingshot was a killer deal (and one I should have jumped on). The XTR parts are the best they've ever made IMHO. Keep them where they are and use em'!
You might want to scrap the fork though...
If the parts are in good shape (nothing broken and not abused), then there's no reason they won't serve you well. Make sure everything is sorted and lubed, new pads and such...they'll work fine. Worst case, swap to V-Brakes.
If you don't want them, I'd be happy to swap or buy them from you! :D

I've got a geared and an SS Slingshot...I have to say, the SS full rigid Sling rides better. But that's just me.

I'm looking forward to the pics!

#4 ·
I was hoping you'd say that

I guess I'll just have to ride the stuff. :p As for the fork, I spoke with AMP and they told me they will replace the chromoly lower for an aluminum lower at no cost. They confirmed that the chromoly lowers rusted on the inside and would snap. I will likely send the fork away and have that done as I really would like to use it.

#7 ·
HoSS said:
I recently picked up a MINT ’94 Slingshot built up with all period parts. It’s loaded with M900 XTR FR & RR Der., shifter brake lever combo & canti’s. The headset is a threaded XT ,the wheelset is XTR/Mavic 217 and fork is an AMP F1. Everything is just beautiful. Pics coming soon.

Now, do I ride these parts and enjoy them and possibly ruin them or take them off and install modern components that won’t break my heart if I bust them up. This may be a silly question but I torn.
There is no question they will serve you well ...... the question is (as you stated) do you want to risk 'break my heart' if you do bust them ....
I guess it depends on how you plan to use it ....... some just beat the heck out of their stuff ..... if you intend to 'beat' them, I would replace some of the parts ........
not sure where 'wear and tear' fits in, but I would probably replace some of the components - especially if I had some suitable replacements ......
I would start with the rear der and replace it with something else ..... why rip off and/or destroy a nice rear changer like that ? .........

#8 ·
"I would start with the rear der and replace it with something else ..... why rip off and/or destroy a nice rear changer like that ? ........."

I dont get that logic. So, would that nice changer better suit him sitting on a shelf? Or maybe install it on a road bike??

I say ride it and enjoy that nice changer! Just my $.02! :)

#9 ·
I'm going to ride these parts and enjoy them. I have so much old stuff laying around already, I surely don't need anymore. Besides, I'm not hard on my stuff and these parts will surely last a good long time.

Can anyone recommend good canti pads? It's been awhile since I've used canti's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.