mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Did anyone cut the thread of a 1 1/4 Accu Trax?

Hello,

I want to install an 1 1/4 Accu Trax from an I believe 21 Inch frame to a 19 Inch F.R.O and need to cut the thread a little further.Does anyone know where to get the correct thread cutter(the size) or a good bike shop who can do this?
    If someone wants to swap a black one for a shorter one you are welcome.

Thanks
    Wolfgang

VRC Hound
    The swap seems like a good option. The long forks are pretty hard to find though a 1 1/4 cutter might be hard to find too!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

picture with the size

Attached two pictures with the size of the fork.
    Attached Images Attached Images

velocipede technician
    call around. I'm sure there has to be some local shop with tool
    looking for 20-21" P team

Old School
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfgangBock
    Hello,

I want to install an 1 1/4 Accu Trax from an I believe 21 Inch frame to a 19 Inch F.R.O and need to cut the thread a little further.Does anyone know where to get the correct thread cutter(the size) or a good bike shop who can do this?

Thanks
    Wolfgang
    I've always hated to cut down vintage forks. The times that I caved in, I used a hacksaw. What?

Is "adding spacers" out of the question?

horn doggie
    I'll have the same issue with the NOS Yeti/Accutrax fork I just picked up. It's too long, so will need to have more threads cut into it.
    Wanted:

Potts, Potts, Potts

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Accu-Collection

I took this picture in April 92 at Yeti in Durango.If I would have known back then I would have filled my trunk with every length there is.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    You need to find a skillful latte operator, if the person knows his business it will take a few minutes to replicate the Threads on your fork.

Cutters, just don't Cut it not even if they are campy, they are made to "Chase" threads not to make new ones.

velocipede technician

Bah!

Quote Originally Posted by patineto
    You need to find a skillful latte operator, if the person knows his business it will take a few minutes to replicate the Threads on your fork.

Cutters, just don't Cut it not even if they are campy, they are made to "Chase" threads not to make new ones.
    a barista?

use the campy dies to chase, the handles hurt the hands. otherwise any shop that has the proper tools can do it
    looking for 20-21" P team

I'm invisible.
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfgangBock
    Hello,

Thanks
    Wolfgang
    Any machinist can cut new threads on a lathe.
    Signature space intentionally left blank.

Mtn Biker Machinist

Cutting threads on the lathe isn't the problem

Figuring out a way to hold the fork on the lathe is. It would involve making a fixture to hold the fork, which would take more time than chasing and cutting the threads.

This is one of those jobs where it takes at least an hour of setup for 10 min. of machining. Is it doable, probably, is it worth it, depends on who you find to do the work!

Let us know if you get it done and how they did it.

BTW, I had an LBS cut additional threads onto a fork I got off eBay, and it it did not work out well. They said after the fact, that the heat treatment on the steerer makes cutting new threads difficult, not sure if I believe that or not. The new threads were more torn than cut, and I can't ever keep the headset tight now, because the locknut skips a thread if it is tightened down too much. Bad news all around!

frog

I'm invisible.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 cog frog
    Figuring out a way to hold the fork on the lathe is. It would involve making a fixture to hold the fork, which would take more time than chasing and cutting the threads.

This is one of those jobs where it takes at least an hour of setup for 10 min. of machining. Is it doable, probably, is it worth it, depends on who you find to do the work!
    The fixture could be very simple. A long piece of round bar stock could be turned down to fit inside the steerer tube. One end could be held in the chuck, and the other centered on the tailstock, The entire fork could spin around. It would be simple to cut threads in this setup. A standard machine shop will charge a lot of money for setup. Ask around at tooling or metal suppliers, and see if you can find a machinist who has his own equipment at home. You will pay a fraction of the cost, and get professional quality work.

The other option is to find a 1 1/4" thread cutter, or have one made. KBC tools(www.kbctools.com) can make custom dies.
    Signature space intentionally left blank.