Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Diamondback Ascent Ex pics request

73K views 44 replies 29 participants last post by  kidbolt 
#1 ·
I had my 1992 DB Ascent Ex stolen about six months ago. Still miss it greatly and
wondered if anyone could post some pictures of one as unfortunately I never took
any myself while I still had the bike in my possession.

Thanks in advance if someone can help.

#19 ·
jstauffer said:
I have a DB Ascent EX from early 90's. The paint job is a grey smoke with a tinge of magenta when it is out in the sunlight. Anybody have one and know what year it was made?
I have a 1990 DB catalog and I think that's what you might have. The finish is called "Smoke w/ Lilac clear coat", decals are black with pink accents. It came with a full LX group.

I had a 90 Topanga that was white with the purple tinted clear coat. That thing looked great but was a tank. :)

#4 ·
fredclunk said:
I had my 1992 DB Ascent Ex stolen about six months ago. Still miss it greatly and
wondered if anyone could post some pictures of one as unfortunately I never took

IT is not a EX, I built it up myself from a warranty replacement frame, but it is a 91-93 Ascent.

until yesterday it was my only ride, but it just got a big burly brother..

#7 ·
fredclunk said:

Should be easy and cheap to replace...though it sucks that it was stolen in the first place.

#11 · (Edited)
Diamond Back Ascent Ex

Found this one yesterday. I rebuilt it and cleaned it up.It still needs work but it rides nice so far. It has the orginal LX components and the paint looks real good. I usually switch to thumbshifters but I think I'll keep the shifters it has now. I need to replace the cables.

Attachments

#12 ·
Cool. I just got the large version of that same Ascent EX, all LX Components. These old MTBs are sweet! Bought it used, added new cables, chain, grips, tires and slightly used Sugino chainrings (shimanos were trashed). This thing rides great! Solid, real fast on the prairie path. I forgot what a rigid felt like.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

#22 ·
jstauffer said:
Does the catalogue say what kind of tubing the 1990 Ascent EX has?
"100% Tange MTB Double Butted CR-MO MTN tubing. Brake Booster seat stays. TIG welded. Fastback dropouts with eyelets. 73 mm BB shell.
FORK - 100% CR-MO Super Radius (TM) w/ 600 radius curved offset, large diameter variable gauge blades."

An interesting item I noticed is that all the bikes had 32 hole front hubs and 36 hole rear.

#25 ·
Adamv69 said:
Hey guys I need a crankshaft assembly for my ascent call 505-716-5356
:shocked:

Crankshaft? What engine is in it?

I assume you mean bottom bracket - the spindle and bearings between the cranks. You can still buy new ones that work - you'll just need to take the cranks off and measure the length of the spindle, then order a 'square taper' one that matches. Note that you need special tools to do this - might be better done at a shop.

#26 ·
Thanks

I was just wondering if someone had an original out there for sale. I've have put at least 6 miles a day on this bike (mon-fri) to work, and have ridden it extensively on the weekends.
I recently bought a Yeti, bit I'm stuck on my oldie but goodie. Thanks for the info bro.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.