Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Sneaker man

The Diamond Back thread?

I had a bitr of a search, and saw lots of individual post, just thought maybe bit of a history thread...
    While DB don't quite hit my lust list as some others, I do have good memories of them, from always wanting a BMX to my 1st MTB being a 89-90ish Apex in a smoke paint job (that Susan DeMattai can be seen using in the original Kamakazi video). And a 1994 Axis TR, which I recently built up for the girlfriend to ride, settign up lights and stuff on it the other day reminded me just how good that bike is . Thats part of the reason i made this post, good old memories, and the fact that the only bike my GF could see that she thought "looked nice" was the mission 2...

Anyway I'd liek to see what people have (as i don't have any pics yet)
    And I always hear that the '92 axis team bike was actually titanium... was it?

and everything else... wheel out your DB knowledge...

mtbr member
    Heres' an '86 DiamondBack currently taking up space in my garage. For now its a keeper

"I think it is heavy and often stupid and doesn't work as well as Shimano, but I keep using it. -- NG

John Galt
    You'll actually find some historic DB posts on the Diamondback/Raleigh forum here at MTBR, as well as a few in this forum. There are a few enthusiasts around here. I know more about the V-Links than the mid-90s Axis series, but there were Ti Axis models around 1994-1996. DB also played with steel lugged carbon on the WCF (welded carbon fiber) bikes.

In addition to my not-yet-vintage 1998 DBRs (V-Link 3.2 and V6), I do still have a 1991 Axis with a pretty good early 90s paint job. Too bad it didn't come with the correct fork...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

1992 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Here's mine with many upgrades, including:
    Mavic Crossmax Enduro wheels
    Tubeless Nevegal tires
    XT rear derailleur
    Set up as a 1x7
    Thomson seat post
    full length Jagwire Ripcord cables/housings
    N-Gear jump stop
    Avid Single digit 7 brakes
    Avid Rollamajig
    Attached Images Attached Images

just 1 more
    This Ascent is going SS...someday. The frame is in primer, can't seem to get er done.
    Last edited by azjeff; 05-30-2011 at 09:29 PM.
    something's missing..

bicycle rider
    I have a 1990s Diamond Back titanium mountain bike frame. I am planning on rebuilding it with modern parts and racing it. It came with a 27.0 seatpost. That seems like a strange size to me. Anyone out there with a similar vintage DBR team ti frame have a 27.0 seatpost? The serial number is DBR20362.

I tried calling tisports (who built it I believe) and diamondback, but neither knew or had access to the information.

Sorry, no pics yet.

Morgan

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by morganfletcher
    I have a 1990s Diamond Back titanium mountain bike frame. I am planning on rebuilding it with modern parts and racing it. It came with a 27.0 seatpost. That seems like a strange size to me. Anyone out there with a similar vintage DBR team ti frame have a 27.0 seatpost? The serial number is DBR20362.

I tried calling tisports (who built it I believe) and diamondback, but neither knew or had access to the information.

Sorry, no pics yet.

Morgan
    I have a 97 Axis TT that uses a 27.0 post. Serial # is DBR181297. I should have the build completed by the end of the week. Here's a teaser.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member

Here is a DB I have been putting off

I think it is an 89. 1 and 1/4 threaded headset.
    Wanted:Nothing. I have too much.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by morganfletcher

Sorry, no pics yet.

Morgan
    i have a '93 ti axis with a 27.2mm moots ti seat post. fits like a glove.

The Mountain Bike Life
    Quote Originally Posted by kb11
    Heres' an '86 DiamondBack currently taking up space in my garage. For now its a keeper

HOLY CRAP....that was the bike that started this whole crazy thing we call mountain biking....OMG....thanks for the pics, brings back so many memories....the excitement of riding bikes in the mountains, the smell of bike shops...and the amazing progression that mountain bikes have seen in the past few years...

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    my first mtn bike was a diamond back mean streak. it's a lugged frame that predates that apex, so i'm guessing '84. i gave it to my dad years ago & it's still in great shape & unused; should take some pix (and/or reposses it). good memories of that bike.

horn doggie
    Here's my 80s/90s something Diamondback that I saved from the crusher. It's NOS.

Would like to find a good home for it.
    Wanted:

Potts, Potts, Potts

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    My first mountain bike was a DiamondBack Fleet Streak. Probably a late '80s model. I also had a 1994 DiamondBack Apex that I rode through college. It is still being ridden/raced by an old friend.

My college girlfriend rode a 1993 DiamondBack Ascent that I still looks showroom new, right down to the original Avenir tires.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    here's my ghetto singlespeed 1994 Diamondback Axis

VRC Hound
    How 'bout some Yellow Arrivals? I love that bike!

mtbr member
    My first Mtn bike was a 1984 or 85 Diamond Back Mean Streak (so I am old). I miss that ride. Unfortunately I traded it for my first wind surfer after trading up (?) to my 87 Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo (still have that one). I remember paying what I thought was a lot of money for that ride and justifying how it would last me the rest of my life...... Was I ever wrong. The beginning of an addiction that just gets bigger and bigger.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by scooderdude
    Here's my 80s/90s something Diamondback that I saved from the crusher. It's NOS.
    My first mtb was a 90 Diamondback Topanga. The decals on your frame look the same, so I'd say it's a 90 or 91. My bike weighed a ton, but even for a low-end bike, it had a great paint job. It was white with a purple tinted "smoke" finish"
    It's a shame the bike companies think UPS brown is a cool color these days...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scooderdude

That's a 91 Apex. Same decals as the year the Overdrive and Overdrive Comp were offered.
    Sold a number of these black Apex's back in the day.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

desert dweller
    I still have very fond memories of my first mountain bike -- an '87 Ascent EX. I broke it in late 1990 and they warranteed it with a Euro model Apex LE. I loved it even more than my Ascent. I sold it when I bought my Pro Floater in '95 and have regretted it even since.

By the time I bought my Mantis the DB had full XT, a Manitou I, BullsEye hubs, Pauls Stop Lights, Syncros seat post, Scott AT carbon flat bars, Selle Italia Flite, XC Pro Grease Guard pedals and various high end thingies. Some of the stuff found it's way onto the Mantis -- and some still resides in my parts bin.

Wow, what a blast from the past.

mbb

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Here´s my 1994 Axis finished al last:

Frame: DBR Axis - True Temper TT Lite - size 18
    Fork: Rock Shox Mag 21
    Headset: Tioga Alchemy
    Stem: Amaro Titanium 90 mm, 0º + SRP cap
    Bar: Litespeed al. 585 mm.
    Shifters: Shimano Deore XT - slr
    Grips: Onza Ulés
    Brakes: Shimano XTR M900 + Onza Chill Pills + al. bolts
    Brake pads: Windwood Polybrake + WTB Gripmaster DC
    Seatpost: Amaro Titanium 27.0 x 350 mm.
    Saddle: Selle Italia Flite
    Seatpost binder: Avenir + Ti. bolt
    Front mech: Shimano Deore XT + al. bolts
    Cranks + rings: Shimano Deore XT - 22-32-42
    BB: Shimano UN-51 – 68 x 110
    Rear derrailleur: Shimano Deore XT + al. bolts.
    Chain: Shimano HG-70
    Cassete: Shimano Deore XT 11-28
    Hubs: Shimano Deore XT
    Spokes: Wheelsmith DB
    Rims: Bontrager BCX 1 / BCX 2
    Tubes: Michelin
    Tires: Onza Porcupine 2.10 Kevlar
    Shark fin: Shimano Deore XT

Weight: 10,970 Kgs.

Complete post here:

DBR Axis circa 1994

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Here's mine, I believe it was made in the late 1980s.

Ti Fat
    Dec 2006
    I had a '91 Axis with the Orange/w black stripes like the one above. I wish I still had it.

VRC Illuminati
    I want to see a Dave Weins replica.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

WHEELVALUTION
    stupid compuda....sorry guys avin a hi tech moment here
    Okay,okay,so how do I put it back together,and where did this spring come from

WHEELVALUTION
    http://gallery.mtbr.com/data/mtbr/50...bs/forum_8.jpg
    Dis my bike I think I will ride til I cant ride anymore or till the frame snaps
    Okay,okay,so how do I put it back together,and where did this spring come from

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast