Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9
    mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Has anyone cyclocrossed a 90 allure with 27.5 wheels

John Galt
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdpearson13 View Post
    Has anyone cyclocrossed a 90 allure with 27.5 wheels
    Odds are it has happened at least once - somewhere.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Ascent Bottom bracket

Quote Originally Posted by cegrover View Post
    Odds are it has happened at least once - somewhere.
    Hey, I've search this thread and I have yet to find out anything about a bottom bracket on the diamondback ascent. I've got one from 92 I think # as U92021533. The BB measures 73mm. Can anyone tell me which BB fits? I've looked on ebay but not sure what would fit. I've got some old Truvativ FiveD cranks I want to use if it's doable. I want to get this thing on the mountain! Thanks!

mtbr member
    Here is my 1993 Apex. 1993 was my favorite year, because the Head Tubes were bigger than usual. This 18" frame, (though it measures 19" the traditional way), has a 5.5" Head Tube. I am a leggy 6'1", with a strong preference for smaller frames. More fun, flickable. Transports me back into time, my BMX childhood. Aren't bikes wonderful in that way? Well, this one is comfortable, even for long rides. Much better than the 18" 1994 GT Bravado that it replaced. That frame only had a 4" Head Tube, with a horizontal Top Tube. Felt like a road bike. Even with a 2" riser bar, it was quite uncomfortable. Especially on the neck.

Anyway, this is a great frame. Fast and Nimble, with good geometry. I probably would have had to get a 20" Diamondback frame in the 94-97 years, because of their shorter Head Tubes, due to my height. Yet you lose some nimbleness with the bigger size. And my torso is small, so there is a desire for a Small Top Tube. Yes it is hard to find a good frame me! Have this one set up for Street and Hardpack, fun times.

By the way, to the owners of the 1996 Diamondback Axis R, blue-red-yellow, with Ritchey Logic Steel, (Pyro Tim and I've seen some others)...That, is a stunning bike. Congratulations. My favorite Diamondback without contest. Cool thread.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Diamond Back thread?-diamondback-apex-1993-size-18.jpg  

The Diamond Back thread?-diamondback-apex-1993-ssize-18.jpg  

The Diamond Back thread?-diamondback-apex-1993-siize-18.jpg  

Last edited by maroon113; 03-17-2015 at 01:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    The Diamond Back thread?-img_20150527_165918591.jpg
    The Diamond Back thread?-img_20150530_184933980.jpg
    Top is DB Sorrento from '97 bought it as a leftover but new. And have rode the heck out of it. But the kid seat makes it hard to ride on single track. The bottom one I just bought for $35, couldn't pass it up. It's a DB override, don't know much about it, cro-mo frame 700c wheels, 21spd trans.

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    $35 for the Overdrive is a good score.

Going off the decals, that looks to be a 1991 (or thereabouts).

Remember how in about 2001, there was all this talk about a new wheel size, the 29er? And then a couple of years ago someone decided to coin a phrase for a new type of niche bike called a "gravel grinder"? Well, as usual, there's nothing new under the sun and all that was done years ago before the marketing departments spoke to the magazine editors and all of a sudden we had a new must-buy. This is one such bike.

Set it up with slicks and have a great commuter. Put on the biggest knobbies it will fit and have a great bike for long days of smooth(er) trails.

Grumps

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9