Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    mtbr member
    I believe this is a 1986 (ish) Apex, it passed through my hands a couple summers ago-wish I could have kept it, it was pretty much mint and original. In an interesting twist, later that same summer I found a Scott Boulder with the exact same frameset but a newer Deore component group. It's like they were separated at birth.

This one had a nice mix of mint 1st gen XT with a little Suntour (XC-II pedals and roller cams) and Dia-Compe, Grab-On grips, high flange Joytech/Suzue hubs, and RM-25 rims. Tange double butted tubing (w/partial wraparound seatstays), spare spokes on the chainstay, rack bosses...cool bike. I was very happy to sell it along without splitting it out for parts-hate to do that with such a fine example.

And for reference, the Scott Boulder-I just noticed the seatstay bridge on the Scott is curved and the Apex is straight, and the Scott has a Tange 'Special' tubing sticker, but other than that, twins!

Looking for a TNT Titanium front hub....

mtbr member
    That extra spoke storage is a great idea! Why did that fall out of favor? I would imagine those few extra grams of weight would mean nothing when you are 20 miles into the mountain and break a spoke.

Stokeless Asshat
    The fork looks different and the rear upper rack mounts are in different locations also.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I've been busy the past couple of days putting my Axis R back together, having stripped it after buying it back in October. It was collected and posted it to me by a retrobike member, for which I am extremely grateful to him.

When it arrived the elastomers had gone, the BB was ropey, large chainring was bent, the saddle had a couple of rips in it, it had plastic pedals and it had Gripshift on it. I didn't like the rear wheel much either. All were changed.

Money was tight, and I spent my time sourcing quality parts at best prices.
    I couldn't get a 44 or 46 tooth Ritchey chainring, so got a 48 tooth one from ebay. Well, I like going fast down hill

I bought a red hoped rear wheel on Mavic X517 as a spare back in October, from a retrobike member. UN72 BB, and got the M739 shifter combo from retrobike members. Thanks to all of you.
    190lb+ stiff springs from ebay, and some Porcipaws and M780 SPDs from ebay too. I managed to get the Flite Ti from ebay as well, by buying a bike! Thanks to another retrobike member for collecting and posting to me. This was the source of the rear tyre too, a Smoke Front I got as a reissue from bike-discount.de

To help fund this I sold the Gripshift and the original M739 levers.

I stripped her down to her bare bones

Thanks to a couple of retrobike members for their invaluable advise and help with the forks. I learned a lot. Here she is with the forks rebuilt and the BB in. It was a testing afternoon yesterday in the cold, with having to sell and fettle my wife's BSO at the same time.

It was then a case of work quickly this afternoon before the light ran out

For some reason it was a real b*tch to index the front mech, but sorted now

I had tried M737 pedals

but they were far too heavy, so this is the finished article, but it was pretty dark by now, so will probably get some better pics in the morning, on my test ride

Spec
    Frame: DBR Axis R 19"
    Fork: Rock Shox Judy SL
    Mechs: M739 XT
    Brakes: M739 XT
    Chainset: Ritchey Comp
    Pedals: M780 XT
    BB: UN72
    Bars: Avenir
    Stem: Tioga
    Headset: Tioga
    Seatpost: Not sure
    Saddle: Selle Italia Flite Ti
    Tyres: Panaracer Smoke, reissue Dart. May change for Smoke and Dart backwall
    Wheels: Front M737 on Mavic ... & Hope red on Mavic X519
    Cassette: M737 XT
    Skewers: M739 XT
    Grips: Onza Porcipaws

Comments and critiques welcome

Looking for a Red Hope front hub on Mavic X519
    Last edited by Pyro Tim; 01-24-2013 at 03:32 PM.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Great effort. Those pedals are heavy but they work great and frankly, I figured I could stand to lose a pound and use them.

Good job and happy to see you moving forward on your projects.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Yeah, there is that, but I'm a little obsessive about weight of bikes. It's one of the reasons I don't like modern bikes, as I can't afford one that will come in below my max weight allowance. I need to get the Axis R weighed soon, to make sure I'm not overweight on her. Don't like being above 26 pounds for a bouncy, and 23 for a rigid. My 94 Axis comes in dead on 23

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyro Tim View Post
    Yeah, there is that, but I'm a little obsessive about weight of bikes. It's one of the reasons I don't like modern bikes, as I can't afford one that will come in below my max weight allowance. I need to get the Axis R weighed soon, to make sure I'm not overweight on her. Don't like being above 26 pounds for a bouncy, and 23 for a rigid. My 94 Axis comes in dead on 23
    seatpost and stem look heavy.. that's where you could lose 100 grams and gain a lot of beauty. Syncros, kore, titec ti.. so many possibilities.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    You are right, I am looking for a seatpost, but nice 27.0 are as rare as hens teeth, and I need 3 of them Stem wise, I may or may not change, as it is original spec, and isn't that heavy. Money is still tight, I'm not working at the moment.

My WCF 4.0 has Ti bars, and I've dibbed a Ti stem subject to photos on the other forum

That has Onza HO Ti pedals, Hope Ti suspension front hub, Ti skewers. That will be my weight weenie. Carbon and steel frame, Pace RC35 MXCD forks, Flite Ti, M739 throughout, Mavic X519s.

I do have a pair of Hope ti hubs, and some Campag Stheno rims on their way to me, so I'll get them built up and on her too I think

John Galt
    Looks great, though that is one truly massive chainring!

It's interesting to see different specs in different countries - that was never called Axis R in the US, but was just the 1996 Axis:

BikePedia - 1996 Diamondback Axis Complete Bicycle

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    It is a bit large isn't it

We had both the Axis and Axis R. This had SRT800X gripshift, not the 600 the Axis had, and M739 XT V-brakes and levers, rather than LX cantis and Diacomp levers, and the frame has no mounts for cantis. M739 XT Front mech rather than LX too. Bars are different from the Bikepedia spec too. I know the forks are not stock on my bike, and this was originally rigid. The original saddle was a San Marco, in blue, with Diamondback logo embroidered on it. It had the original VelociRaptor tyres too when I got it.

Final difference is the colour. Mine is Blue, red, white. Not blue, red, silver, which the standard Axis was.

Opinions though please, amber or black wall tyres?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Got some pics today, before and during the test ride. Despite going for the hard/stiff springs, still a bit bouncy for me. Any suggestions? Other than that, the indexing went to pot, so assume the cables have stretched, so need to sort it in the morning before my ride. My front brakes came loose, resulting in the right block rubbing against the spokes. Glad I got a couple of tuning kits last week

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Re: The Diamond Back thread?

Pucked up a 96 DB Topanga the other day off craigslist in pretty good shape to use as a family runabout (baby toting duty). I love the classic geometry and look. Too bad its such a mute color, the vintage DBs had such great schemes.

(Sorry for the sideways pics - they looked right on the phone)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Diamond Back thread?-uploadfromtaptalk1360856171768.jpg  

The Diamond Back thread?-uploadfromtaptalk1360856190582.jpg  

The Diamond Back thread?-uploadfromtaptalk1360856211900.jpg  

Last edited by cmags; 02-14-2013 at 03:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I like that Topanga. My 1st proper MTB was a 92 Topanga. It was purple, but that green works for me. Get some period Ano on that, and it will look a treat.

Fingers crossed I'll post some pic of my WCF tomorrow

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Period Ano? What's that?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Anodized products. Hubs, bars, bolts, seatpost etc. Like the red anodized hubs on my Axis R. There is a thread with the pics in the DiamondBack section of the main forum.

Think I'd look out for green pieces on your bike. If you can't find them, you can get aluminium (aluminum) pieces anodized at various companies. At least in the UK, I assume it would be easier in the US

1st job though, change that saddle, it's an armchair!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Re: The Diamond Back thread?

OK gotcha. I agree some green ano bits (and a proper teardown, degreasing and full reassembly, maybe with new decals) would really spruce up the old gal, however I picked up this steed for a meager $45 in decent shape, able it with an armchair for a saddle, so its perfect as is for local rail trail duty toting 40lbs of baby and seat over the rear axle. Maybe someday it will be a proper trail rider again.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    My rideable collect

The Diamond Back thread?-8475950861_556058b3c7_c.jpg

My longest serving, but now completed(ish) rider
    The Diamond Back thread?-8475961959_0295bb32fa_c.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Here's my current ride. 22yr old Diamondback Ascent EX 18" frame, 21 spd. Had it since 1991 *new* still have the owners manual too, in near mint shape, and I still ride it weekly, a very dependable ride.
    The Diamond Back thread?-img-20130517-00176v2.jpg.
    Last edited by hifi_guy; 05-23-2013 at 02:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hifi_guy View Post
    Here's my current ride. 22yr old Diamondback Ascent EX 18" frame, 21 spd. Had it since 1991 *new* still have the owners manual too, in near mint shape, and I still ride it weekly, a very dependable ride.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20130517-00176v2.jpg 
Views:	1315 
Size:	267.7 KB 
ID:	801619.
    Nice ascent ex,Real good looking bike.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'll have to post a pic of my '91 Pepto pink Diamond Back Master TG road bike, if only for the novelty. DB had some of the coolest paint in the old days, GT too.

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm My Diamond Back Apex

I saw this thread and decided to post up some pics of my Diamond Back Apex, I got it from my uncle as a gift and I love it! I'm not sure on the year, I'm fairly new to mountain biking, been doing it for about 2 years now, but I gotta say I love this bike it's awesome and always begs to go faster! It had the old thumb shifters, the DX ones, but they broke, they were gummed up inside and cracked on the outside so I replaced them with newer canti-shifter combo levers, and it has a WTB Speed V saddle, but other than that I believe it's all original, still has the DX front and rear derailleur, I was thinking of replacing the fork with a suspension one, but I fell in love with this fork, plus, if it ain't broke don't fix it, right? I've taken it out to a few trails and it's just great! I want to eventually get some wider and better tires, but for now these will do, I'd really appreciate it if someone could tell me what year it is thanks! (sorry for the crummy pics, lighting was bad).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Diamond Back thread?-dscf4696.jpg  

The Diamond Back thread?-dscf4687.jpg  

The Diamond Back thread?-dscf4695.jpg  

The Diamond Back thread?-dscf4684.jpg  

The Diamond Back thread?-dscf4685.jpg  

The Diamond Back thread?-dscf4691.jpg  

The Diamond Back thread?-dscf4698.jpg  

The Diamond Back thread?-dscf4694.jpg  

The Diamond Back thread?-dscf4693.jpg  

The Diamond Back thread?-dscf4688.jpg  

The Diamond Back thread?-dscf4686.jpg  

The Diamond Back thread?-dscf4682.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff77 View Post
    I saw this thread and decided to post up some pics of my Diamond Back Apex, I got it from my uncle as a gift and I love it! I'm not sure on the year, I'm fairly new to mountain biking, been doing it for about 2 years now, but I gotta say I love this bike it's awesome and always begs to go faster! It had the old thumb shifters, the DX ones, but they broke, they were gummed up inside and cracked on the outside so I replaced them with newer canti-shifter combo levers, and it has a WTB Speed V saddle, but other than that I believe it's all original, still has the DX front and rear derailleur, I was thinking of replacing the fork with a suspension one, but I fell in love with this fork, plus, if it ain't broke don't fix it, right? I've taken it out to a few trails and it's just great! I want to eventually get some wider and better tires, but for now these will do, I'd really appreciate it if someone could tell me what year it is thanks! (sorry for the crummy pics, lighting was bad).
    I'd say that was from 1990, given the frame is using Tange tubing. In 91 the frame would have used True Temper tubing (I have a 91 Apex), and in 89 they were using the smoke type paintjobs and straight forks.

mtbr member
    Miss this old girl.

mtbr member
    Oh road salt, why you so mean?

I probably deserved to have this thing stolen.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I deserved it.

Between the busted shifter and this sweet cable routing I think I only had three gears.

I had a lot of fun on this turd believe it or not.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast