Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    love my DBs, but only the old ones, my first proper MTB was a 92 Topanga, I tarted it up with XT, and got the weight down below 28lbs, but still heavy for the time. She served me well.

Seatpost wise my 93 Axis Pro was 26.8, but my 94 Axis, and 96 Axis R and WCF 4.0 are 27.0

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks Pyro, It was a 27mm, Already replaced it, Now I need a 6 speed cassette, slips in 5th and 6th gear,Already replaced the chain,I agree the older diamondbacks were pretty good solid bikes although I really like the looks of the response, there is a black 2008 on ebay looks nice, thank god there is ebay for people with older bikes now if everyone wasn't so greedy when it comes to new old stock, Thanks Again

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    are you on retrobike.co.uk? Great resource for the older stuff. UK, US and European contributers to help build up old beasts.

The DiamondBacks post 99 until fairly recently are just BSOs and not worth the time of day.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks pyro, I've been on that site before, I'll have to check it out again more closely, I agree with you about older bikes, Like say the 80's, before suspension when bikes were 18 speeds and way simpler, Pretty sure my apex is an 88, Smoke paint job, Deore components, Deore u brake mounted under the chainstays, 18speed, It's coming along slowly but surely, Never had a diamondback before, Don't know why, Good solid fun bike, Can't you replace individual gears on cassette freewheels? Don't know about cassettes always had the screw on freewheels on all my mountain bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    you can replace some of the smaller cogs, as they are loose, but don't think you can on the larger ones. Yours could be 80s, or 90-91 as the smoke paint jobs were a theme then. Got any pics?

I think ebay and retrobike are the only places you may find one, but you may need to be patient.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Got a few Diamond Backs from the early 90s. Wondered whether anybody knows the seatpost size for a 92 Axis?

I've got a 91 Axis and that takes a 30.4mm, and a 91 Apex that takes a 27.0mm seatpost. The 92 Axis frame is at least the same type of tubing as the 91, and looks to have an oversize seat-tube like the 91 Axis, but the size of shim (thermoplastic) that I used on my 91, seems slightly too big for my 92 Axis - so anyone know for sure?

artistic...
    anyone got one of those easton elite 90s vertex? That was a cool racing bike.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks Pyro, I read somewhere that you could replace some and the two smallest (two highest gears) are the ones slipping, Next time my one son who has posted pictures for me before comes over I'll have him post some, Thanks again, Scott

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    seems I've had a post deleted by the mods. I was only pointing someone to where they may find the answer. I can't post pics until I've got 10 posts, but you can find them on my flickr

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I purchased my diamondback last week, been out on it for the first time today

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    what is it mate? what year? how did you find it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyro Tim View Post
    what is it mate? what year? how did you find it?
    Sorry i failed to read it was for classics. Just saw diamondback and assumed it was any

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hey Tim, Sorry if I got you in trouble trying to help me out...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by s.reynolds View Post
    Sorry i failed to read it was for classics. Just saw diamondback and assumed it was any
    No worries bud, what is it, and how does it ride?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    My '94 Axis TR. I bought it almost three years ago in brand new condition. The original owner said he rode it once. Still in almost original condition.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Nice, I've got the Ti railed version of that saddle on my 94 Axis. Mine's rigid though, and Nickle plated

Sneaker man
    Whehey!! I bout one of those Axis TR's new in 94...great bike, only recently gave it to a friend when I had to move interstate...otherwise I'd still have it...

Dunno how you ride it with the stem upsidedown though? (although it would be better that way if yoiu had a 4in fork...but not with the OG manitous on it)
    2003 Yeti ARC
    2008 GT Zaskar Reissue
    1996 GT Xizang
    2012 Cervelo R3

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Picked up this 1993? DB Response Elite last year for $150 with a mish-match of newer/upgraded parts included that were easily worth the entire cost. Frame features "snake stays" (curvy seatstatys) and is built with custom thinwall heat treated truetemper TT lite tubing, drawn to DB specifications, probably very similar specifications to truetemper OX tubing. The frame showed very little wear or scratches on the original paint when I got it and I enjoy riding it, put some hard trail miles on it since then. I've added a disk brake to the front fork, but am still using rim brakes in the back (frame has no rear disk bracket) but it still stops confidently. Ive ridden it with different forks set at 120mm, 100m and 80mm travel and the longer 120mm travel fork induces a bit too slack of head tube angle (around 67), handeling is a bit better overall with slightly lower travel fork.

The Diamond Back thread?-response_elite.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Nice bike, not sure about the forks though. I think it's a 94, based on the tubing. The 93 had True Temper AVR/OX OS. It had Mani 3s originally, and STX/LX/XT. ($1030 new back then!)

If it were mine, I'd try and get it as original as possible, but with some period upgrages to XT throughout.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    94 Axis

93 Axis Pro

96 Axis R

I have stripped this, and am building up at mo, with stem right way up

I'll put pics up of me WCF 4.0 when I rebuild it. Not happy enough with it at the mo to post in public

John Galt
    I always liked the 1996 Axis with the Ritchey Logic Comp Prestige tubing and the cool paint. Nice one!

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyro Tim View Post
    I have stripped this, and am building up at mo, with stem right way up
    That's a relief. You currently own 4 DBs?! Do you have a favorite?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I've had the WCF 4.0 from new, sort of, so I guess that's my favourite. Got it in 99 in a bike shop in Houston, TX, as an ex demo frame. The ride is amazing, with the carbon and steel offering their different characteristics making the power input translate directly into forward motion. I've done 1000s of miles on her.

I've not ridden the Axis R yet, as when I got it, it needed a fair amount of work, and parts. I now have all the parts, except the grips, which should have arrived last week, and plan to build it today. She looks great and I'm looking forward to riding her.

The Axis is great, and my favourite rigid bike. I've not owned her long, but done a lot of miles on her already. Unfortunately not enough space in the stable for the Axis Pro, so will have to move her on.

I also have a 98 GT Timberline, and 92 Kona LavaDome frame. I recently sold a 94 Ascent, 95 Ascent, and 94 Sorrento. Just bought a small 93 Kona LavaDome. Wife has a 94 Kona Hahanna

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Specs
    94 Axis
    Still factory spec
    Deore XT M737 throughout, Bontrager BCX rims, Bontrager bars, Tioga stem

Additions
    XT M780 pedals, Flite Ti saddle now on it, the Bonty Ti is now polished up and ready to go back on should I decide.

Axis Pro
    Now stripped. Was a mix of XTR M900 and XT M730, 735, 734. Should have been M900 throughout.

Axis R
    Rock Shox Judy SL, upgraded to stiff springs
    Deore XT M739, except chainset, Ritchey Pro. Rear wheel Hope, red ti, on Mavic X517, front current M737 on Mavic X517, but bidding on a red hoped one
    Currently M737 pedals, but M780 ordered, Flite Ti saddle

WCF 4.0 will be
    Deore XT M739, except chainset M737 (I prefer the look), Hope Ti on X519 up front, M737 on X519 rear
    Pace RC35 MXCD
    Onza HO Ti pedals
    Flite Ti
    Ti bars
    Looking for Ti or exotic 27.0 seat tube, Ti ahead stem

All bikes amberwall Smoke and Dart tyres.

Sneaker man
    those 94's axis' are truly nice bikes, I regret getting rid of mine, fitted like a glove (i ordered it in 94, sight unseen, and it was perfect)
    2003 Yeti ARC
    2008 GT Zaskar Reissue
    1996 GT Xizang
    2012 Cervelo R3

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast