Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    It's a Hardtail!

Let's face it; the headsets, shocks, brakes, crankarms have come a ways since 'the day'. Nothing wrong with good quality aftermarket stuff.
    I have some Quadra 10 shocks, vintage 1994 I rode for years. No comparison to my new Marrazocchi's. But, those quadra' will still work 10 years from now. They're heavy & clumsy, BUT Bulletproof!

John Galt
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git
    little bit worse for wear, been sitting in a shed for who knows how long... great bike... now if i could only find the T-bone stem and get ride of the flex stem...
    Cool - I like those smoke-colored Apex models. You should be able to find a T-bone stem on ebay for a reasonable price. They're on there all the time...

Sneaker man
    yeah i know... had a big clean out in the shed, getting ready to build up my zasakr, was hoping to find the t-bone, or even my mates old 50kg 1in qill stem from his old cannondale... but no luck,,,

mtbr member
    Hey, I have an Apex like mik_git's smoke colored one. I bought it used in 1992. Anyone know what year they are? Based on the date stamps on the brakes (some of the few original parts left on it) I figure it's a 1989.

Sneaker man
    i got mine new in '92... the reason i figured its an 89 is that susan dematti was riding one on teh original kamakazi video from 89 mamoth mtn

bah! my zaskar reissue biuld up, CRC sent me a tool box instead of cranks... and the head tube had a small dent so the internal headset won't quite fit... Booo

The Mountain Vunny
    May 2009

headbadge

Can anyone provide a photo of a early 90's (1990 to 92) Ascent? Planning to restore my 1991 Ascent and all I lack is the headbadge.

thanks~

Relax. I'm a pro.
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CoconutFish
    Can anyone provide a photo of a early 90's (1990 to 92) Ascent? Planning to restore my 1991 Ascent and all I lack is the headbadge.

thanks~
    My 1991 Ascent's (orange with black stickers & blue accents) headbadge was just a boring sticker. I'll see if I can dig the bike out and take a pic.

Relax. I'm a pro.
    Feb 2004
    CoconutFish--check the first page of this thread. Somebody posted pics of an orange Axis. My Ascent has a headbadge just like the one on that bike.

The Mountain Vunny
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad
    CoconutFish--check the first page of this thread. Somebody posted pics of an orange Axis. My Ascent has a headbadge just like the one on that bike.
    Ah thanks, much help. Will look into that.

John Galt
    Quote Originally Posted by CoconutFish
    Ah thanks, much help. Will look into that.
    Here are a couple of shots of Axes I have owned - both 1991s, as far as I know.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    There was an advert in Craigslist for 90-91 Ascent. $50.00.

It's been garage sitting sine the guy was in college. I checked it out and it's do-able. Orange county California. Check the Archives.

mtbr member

1990 DB Apex

Mildly freshened up with new tires and a seat. Otherwise 100% OG!

Ready for light duty as the family cruiser!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Diamond Back thread?-db-apex.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    So Original, So Cool.

I beat mine to death in the trails, but that babe deserves a crib. Ride on Bruthuh!

mtbr member
    Thanks! Not sure how much trail time this will get as I just can't seem to justify riding this before my 09 full sus Stumpy Pro... The newer bikes are just so far advanced and my back really appreciates the relief!

Sweep the leg!
    I'm having a senior moment. I can't remember what year this picture of me and my DB Axis Team is from. It was relatively fresh from the shop and not very stock. I sold it in '95 to a grad student with mostly XT but with a Syncros Cattleprod stem and Syncros Seatpost. I forget what goofy diameter it was but it was larger than 27.2 mm. The last time I saw it was 3 summers ago parked in a rack on the UW campus.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

John Galt
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered
    I'm having a senior moment. I can't remember what year this picture of me and my DB Axis Team is from. It was relatively fresh from the shop and not very stock. I sold it in '95 to a grad student with mostly XT but with a Syncros Cattleprod stem and Syncros Seatpost. I forget what goofy diameter it was but it was larger than 27.2 mm. The last time I saw it was 3 summers ago parked in a rack on the UW campus.
    Those team ones are very cool. I previously had two of those 1991 Axes, though not team, one in black/white splatter and one with orange/splatter. I think the seat post was 28.6mm, although I believe the team used different tubing (different wall thickness?).

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Don't matter,
    Some things are just there to just have. Have it, love it, Get it out there if you want is my guess.

Sneaker man
    after 91 due to the m100 shoes?

mtbr member
    The seatpost in my 1991 Axis is 30.4, but I also have a shim to 27.2, in case the original post ever breaks
    WTB: Bontrager Comp Fork & Syncros metal top cap

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I still miss my '94 Response Elite The fork was as stiff as a wet noodle!

I still have the '94 Catalog, though...

Sneaker man
    oh scan that and put it up please...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ygolohcysp
    I'm presently riding my old Diamond Back Ascent EX. I'm guessing it's a 1990 based on the serial number. I bought it brand new sometime just before high school. It has the blue smoke in front and rear with white in the middle. Pretty much it's all original as far as parts go, except the ones that deteriorate with age, and the chain. I don't have any pics on the computer to use here, but if anyone is interested I could take a picture or two and get them up.

I've only just recently started riding again, and doing so on much rougher trails than I'm really used to. I don't quite have the money to spend on a really nice replacement bike, so I'm considering just doing some upgrades. Can anyone suggest a good suspension fork to use with this bike?

ygolohcysp

Hey, could you tell me what the serial number is like? I am trying to figure out what this frame is and someone suggested it may be a 90 or 91 Ascent Ex. The serial on mine is U00534969. I attached some pics of the frame only and the whole build as well. The frame was to big for me so I took all the components and put them on my Trek instead. I am pretty intersted in the material and build of the frame.
    Thanks

mtbr member

Axis TT

What years DBR produce the last Axis TT? I plan to buy an Axis TT from someone, he says his Axis was after 95 production, the decals have been moved,except the Sandvick's tag on the seat tube, I need information cause don.t want to make a mistake...tx

Sneaker man
    started in 94.. till 96 or 97 or something...

they had completely different graphics after the early ones...

John Galt
    1993-1995, as far as I've been able to determine. The 1996 Axis went to Logic Prestige only. Find out what the serial # is - I think they had DB or DBR stamped in or near the serial number...at least I've seen some that way.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast