Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Torque me. Make me spin!

Diamondback Apex ~1991

Rescued from the dumpster.

Diamondback Apex ~1991
    All Shimano DX drivetrain and brakes: crankset, 7sp Shifters-Brake levers, derailers, and canti brakes.

Steel is real, but the Rock Shox Indy C fork is not likely orignal. She had no wheels and front derailer when I found her. I bought the FD-M650 front derailer on ebay ($9.90 NOS); dug in the parts box for the cassette, chain, seatpost, seat, and wheelset; and cleaned and spit polished her. Now she's my Diamondback Apex 9.9 dollar bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ti Fat
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cegrover
    Here is a 1991 catalog: http://www.mtb-kataloge.de/html/diamond_back.html

Axis Team was green with splatter and Axis was black with splatter.

Maybe the Orange one I bought in 1991 was a leftover? I don't know.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by bikerboy
    I have posted this one before, but it was about 4 years ago, so the first pic you see if my uncle's old 1988 Apex purchased in Jan 1988 for $469 (I have the original receipt). It still looks pretty much like it rolled off the showroom floor but does have a few changes to make this more of a townie/cruiser since my dad rides it now.

The next pictures are of my newly obtained 1983 Ridge Runner II. I got this from a buddy who just doesn't dig mountain bikes, so I gladly bought it from him. The first pictures shows it in its as purchased condition. It was mostly original except for seatpost, saddle, no grips, and tires. I cleaned it up and replaced the rear wheel since the original hub was kinda messed up. The replacement is still period correct with Araya 7X rim, but has a low-flange SR hub rather than the high flange model. I'd love to find some nice old tires for it, but I ain't holding my breath since these Performance tires do the trick.

Enjoy.
    When I opened this thread I wondered if I would be lucky enough to see a picture of a nice Ridge Runner. I waffled back and forth in 1986 trying to decide between a cdale SM600, a Diamond Back Ridge Runner, and a Scwinn High Sierra. I bought the High Sierra, but always wished that I had purchased the DB instead. I had an opportunity to test ride all three, and the Ridge Runner was probably one of the most stable feeling bikes I had ever ridden. I still keep my eyes open hoping to see one, and in this case just seeing yours brings back some fond early mountain bike memories. Thanks for sharing!

Sneaker man
    well after starting this thread, maybe i'll post a pic...

now that i have cleared outthe garage and made a bit of a workshop, and discovered all the bits in boxes... my DB is on its way to being standard again... well as close as i can get...

the original forks are the ones on the ground in the pic
    the original wheels, well the hubs with dt rims are attached to a manitou frame out of pic\the origianl LX front der is in a box on the bench, replaced by an XT one
    i bent the og seatpost,m replaced with an easton on
    the onza HO pedals i never even saw and the seat was replaced with the vetta sl when i piucked it up...

so not the most amazing bike, but it did me well for many many years

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Smile Diamondback Apex

Came with Panaracer Timbuk IIs, a specialized saddle bag. Has a Conti and Specialized tubes. Im not sure on the year. Got at a thirft store for 4o dollars Going to Put a WTB Timberwolf on the front. Still waiting for a Blackburn Flea front light. Araya RX-7 rims. So, is this a VRC? Will put full specs later.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    When I got the bike the front STI shifter was not working. Someone fixed it for me. I think the shifter needed lube or a new spring or something. Now it shifts better. The cassette is Shimano Hyperglide. Im thinking of ugrading the shifters. The Shimano DX line was discontinued more than ten years ago. I need something that will be compatible. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks.

John Galt
    Yep - it's VRC. The paint job alone is very much retro! What you have is a good quality workhorse bike with nice, mid-level components. Ride it and enjoy it!

Those first gen. "push-push" Shimano rapidfire shifters are known to stick, but a little lube inside usually works - sounds like you already had that done once. You can probably get good life and performance out of them with occasional maintenance.

I wouldn't change them unless they fail completely or unless you come across a good set of 7-speed Deore or XT thumb shifters for cheap. Thumbies will be as reliable as anything. If you go to thumbies, though, you'll need brake levers, too. Well, that's unless you luck out and find the rare adapters that allow mountain of thumbies on your integrated setup. Your other choice would be slightly later push-pull rapidfire, but you'll want to make sure you get older ones that work with canti brakes (not v-brakes).

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I will stick with the STI shifters. The only issue is theres few STI shifters that I can get if the one I have currently completely bonks on me. I will look in the Deore XT. Although Im not familiar with shifters and levers and which work well together. Ill start looking on ebay, etc. Thanks Grover.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________
    Last edited by mahshroom; 03-06-2009 at 03:55 AM.

John Galt
    Quote Originally Posted by KnobbyTire
    I will stick with the STI shifters. The only issue is theres few STI shifters that I can get if the one I have currently completely bonks on me. I will look in the Deore XT. Although Im not familiar with shifters and levers and which work well together. Ill start looking on ebay, etc. Thanks Grover.
    By the way, the thread below has the adapters I was thinking of. My understand is that they allow you to mount a thumbie in place of the original STI shifters. I've never used them, nor seen them installed, however...

Mystery Part (thumbie content)

Certified Bike Junkie
    Seeing this thread reminded me I picked these up a while back to use on a klunker project. Apparently they were specific to the very early Diamond Back MTBs.
    Need: McMahon brake for roller cam mounts, Mountain Goat fork.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by muddybuddy
    Seeing this thread reminded me I picked these up a while back to use on a klunker project. Apparently they were specific to the very early Diamond Back MTBs.

Yours are a little later and were used on the Ridge Runner II. On the original Ridge Runner from 1982/83, the bars were the same design but had an integral cable hanger.

Certified Bike Junkie
    Thats right. If I remember correctly, the ones without the hanger were used in 1984 only?
    Need: McMahon brake for roller cam mounts, Mountain Goat fork.

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    I *LOVED* my 1988 Diamondback Apex with the 'Smoke' paint job.

I rode that bike for thirteen years until it was stolen, along with two Gary Fishers in 2001. It saw tens of thousands of training, racing (MTB & triathlons) and commuting miles.

Damn I miss that bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I have a question about your Diamond Back Axis.

How is that threadless stem on your Axis?

A threadless adapter?

I've been wondering, I have a Marzocchi Drop Off fork.

I want to put it on my Diamond Back Apex. My Diamond Back

has a ! 1/8 steerer tube, I believe 25.4.

My question is can I put the Marzocchi Drop Off in the

Apex? The marzocchi will probably affect the overall bike geometry.

Do I need to buy different cups?

Sorry for my ignorance, but I am not familiar with

threadless headsets. Any info would help thank you all.

Oh this is for Mrjustin007 or someone might want to input.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KnobbyTire
    I have a question about your Diamond Back Axis.

How is that threadless stem on your Axis?

A threadless adapter?

I've been wondering, I have a Marzocchi Drop Off fork.

I want to put it on my Diamond Back Apex. My Diamond Back

has a ! 1/8 steerer tube, I believe 25.4.

My question is can I put the Marzocchi Drop Off in the

Apex? The marzocchi will probably affect the overall bike geometry.

Do I need to buy different cups?

Sorry for my ignorance, but I am not familiar with

threadless headsets. Any info would help thank you all.

Oh this is for Mrjustin007 or someone might want to input.
    Please don't put that fork on your Diamondback. It is going to screw up the handling big time. You also run the risk of snapping your head tube by installing a fork with a much longer axle to crown length (that is the overall length of the fork). Think of it as a huge lever being used to pry the headtube loose from the rest of the frame. This is surely a case of "just because you can doesn't mean you should."
    Get on your bikes and ride!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    All right.

No switching out forks.

I love my bike. I can go amazingly fast or slow.

Time to look for a more aggressive frame.

mtbr member
    Knobby Tire - In that pic I was using an adapter, but have since found & reinstalled the quill stem, derailleurs, & shifters.
    WTB: Bontrager Comp Fork & Syncros metal top cap

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Classic?

I bought my Topanga at a police auction about eight years ago. Not sure it's vintage or classic, yet, but it has served me well as a commuter. I've been thinking about replacing it because it's developed a bad case of deferred-maintenance! After reading this thread, I'm not so sure anymore!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    not good news. got my bike stolen today again at the library.

Sucks but what can I do. I talked to the library folks before about stolen bikes. And for them to put cameras in the bike area. But they talked like if it was none of their business.

Not even going to post on craiglist to put rewards or any info.

John Galt

Another 1991 DB Axis

I picked this one up from Ebay and the photos below are just "before" shots from the auction. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with it, as these are full-XT bikes and the Mag 21 is a bonus item.

I spent part of a rainy day last Saturday getting it fixed and cleaned up and it turns out it was in really good shape under the dirt - few marks on the paint and no dings. The fork aired up nicely and works well. I just need to keep WD40ing the left shifter to see if I can get it to ratchet again. It has the typical push-push Rapidfire problem of wanting to stay in the small ring and not 'catch' on the middle or big.

"After" shots will come soon...

troll account
    May 2009
    All nice bikes. I would like a Diamond back to add to my collection.

Havok
    is there a site i can visit that will help me determine the year of my diamond back by the serial number?

Sneaker man
    are there any old DB catalogues floating about? Looking for the 1994 one, want to get the numnbers on my frame and see how they compare to the axis TT...

*EDIT... found just what I was looking for.
    Last edited by mik_git; 06-08-2009 at 09:47 AM.

Super Clyde-ish
    Mar 2008

Mannn.....

My first "real" mountain bike was a 1994 Diamond Back...I want to say it was a sorrento, it was dark green metallic....so wish I still had it, we sold it at a garage sale 6-7 years ago for a ridiculous price because I didn't know any better....

Would love to find another one just like it....
    Satin Black 2007 Iron Horse Warrior 3.0

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast