Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Here's my Voyager III, blinged up with disc brakes. It gets new paint this summer.
    http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/h...m1-08030-1.jpg
    "I don't suffer from insanity!I rather enjoy it."

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    anybody know what year the fleet streak was made? and what is the difference between it and the ascent.

mtbr member
    Here's mine - Recent convert to SS commuter - I its a 1991 DB Axis. (thanks cegrover)

Last edited by mrjustin007; 08-21-2008 at 04:36 PM.

John Galt
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjustin007
    Here's mine - Recent convert to SS commuter - I believe its a 1989 DB Axis
    That looks just like my 1991 - I wonder if one of us is off on the year, or if the paint job was around a while. TT OX tubing is good stuff! By the way, what size is that thing?

mtbr member
    You're probally right about the year, I was guessing based on what the guy I bought it from said. Its a 21' or 22'

Sneaker man
    does anyone remember backin...92 i think, the team axis' were green with splatter, i thinl weins raced a 29er in a couple of events, or at least it had 700c wheels, remember the add in velo news and not having a clue what 700c wheels were...

John Galt
    Here is a 1991 catalog: http://www.mtb-kataloge.de/html/diamond_back.html

Axis Team was green with splatter and Axis was black with splatter.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

90 Ascent EX

I'm presently riding my old Diamond Back Ascent EX. I'm guessing it's a 1990 based on the serial number. I bought it brand new sometime just before high school. It has the blue smoke in front and rear with white in the middle. Pretty much it's all original as far as parts go, except the ones that deteriorate with age, and the chain. I don't have any pics on the computer to use here, but if anyone is interested I could take a picture or two and get them up.

I've only just recently started riding again, and doing so on much rougher trails than I'm really used to. I don't quite have the money to spend on a really nice replacement bike, so I'm considering just doing some upgrades. Can anyone suggest a good suspension fork to use with this bike?

ygolohcysp

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by ygolohcysp
    I'm presently riding my old Diamond Back Ascent EX. I'm guessing it's a 1990 based on the serial number. I bought it brand new sometime just before high school. It has the blue smoke in front and rear with white in the middle. Pretty much it's all original as far as parts go, except the ones that deteriorate with age, and the chain. I don't have any pics on the computer to use here, but if anyone is interested I could take a picture or two and get them up.

I've only just recently started riding again, and doing so on much rougher trails than I'm really used to. I don't quite have the money to spend on a really nice replacement bike, so I'm considering just doing some upgrades. Can anyone suggest a good suspension fork to use with this bike?

ygolohcysp

Not sure anyone will get too excited over pics of an Ascent EX....but its great that you're back on the bike and riding it.

If your DB is 1 1/8", you have options for suspension forks...but keep the travel low so as not to throw the geometry off too much. You're also have to replace the headset and stem...and mind the lack of cantilever mount on the fork...then you'd have to deal with brake changes too.

A lot of times, its almost cheaper to buy a newer used bike....or man up and keep this one the way it is.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    This thread is great!!!!
    I worked at a ***** Sporting Goods Bike dept. and we got really good deals on Diamond Backs. My first was a 94'ish Apex that I decked out in XTR and a Manitou EFC. It was gorgeous! I sold it to a friend years ago and wondered what happened to it. I got it back this weekend!!!!!! He gave it to me.!!!!!!!
    I also raced a Vertex TA - Easton Alum. frame - Yellow. I walked it around Mt Snow at a pro race in the tent area and all the big time riders kept telling me what a nice bike I had.
    My 2 cents.... I will take some pics of the Apex and post them up....

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cegrover
    Here is a 1991 catalog: http://www.mtb-kataloge.de/html/diamond_back.html

Axis Team was green with splatter and Axis was black with splatter.
    Hey guys,

new to the forum. I've had my old bike that I started with sitting in my garage. Ive been thinking about making it my commuter bike. I always wondered if it was any good and come to find it here. Its a Team Axis in the green splatter. I liked the bike alot, but compared to today's bikes, really heavy. So I found the bike and catalog. Reading here, sounds like it was a sweet bike. Hope to read some good things on this forum.

John Galt
    Quote Originally Posted by ccastrojr
    Hey guys,

new to the forum. I've had my old bike that I started with sitting in my garage. Ive been thinking about making it my commuter bike. I always wondered if it was any good and come to find it here. Its a Team Axis in the green splatter. I liked the bike alot, but compared to today's bikes, really heavy. So I found the bike and catalog. Reading here, sounds like it was a sweet bike. Hope to read some good things on this forum.
    Welcome! Yes, I think most would agree that's a sweet one, especially for a bigger brand. You might be surprised to find it's not really heavy compared to modern bikes, but that depends on the build.

Do you have photos??

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cegrover
    Welcome! Yes, I think most would agree that's a sweet one, especially for a bigger brand. You might be surprised to find it's not really heavy compared to modern bikes, but that depends on the build.

Do you have photos??
    well...now...bare in mind its been sitting in my garage...and it looks worse than it is. The handlebar was stripped for another bike, the chain is just off the rings and the tires are missing innertubes...other than that i know its in working condition.

I plan on getting it into better shape. I just picked up some new tires, tubes, grips, cassette... Im looking for the original fork. I think it'll be awesome when I am done. I'll post some after pics.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

My turn to throw a couple into the hat...

I have posted this one before, but it was about 4 years ago, so the first pic you see if my uncle's old 1988 Apex purchased in Jan 1988 for $469 (I have the original receipt). It still looks pretty much like it rolled off the showroom floor but does have a few changes to make this more of a townie/cruiser since my dad rides it now.

The next pictures are of my newly obtained 1983 Ridge Runner II. I got this from a buddy who just doesn't dig mountain bikes, so I gladly bought it from him. The first pictures shows it in its as purchased condition. It was mostly original except for seatpost, saddle, no grips, and tires. I cleaned it up and replaced the rear wheel since the original hub was kinda messed up. The replacement is still period correct with Araya 7X rim, but has a low-flange SR hub rather than the high flange model. I'd love to find some nice old tires for it, but I ain't holding my breath since these Performance tires do the trick.

Enjoy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Get on your bikes and ride!

MTBiker
    Oct 2006
    Here's my 80's Apex. Not sure what year..I think 1985. So far I have cracked the BB spindle, and snapped the handlebars in half, but other than that it is a great bike. I love it!

We can bomb the world to pieces, but we can't bomb it into peace -Michael Franti

mtbr member
    We can bomb the world to pieces, but we can't bomb it into peace -Michael Franti
    WW2 was ended by dropping the Bomb(s) on Japan. Thus creating peace. Sorry.

Did you bend out your forks when you broke the handlebar? The look a bit "low rider" to me.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    My first MTB was a 22 inch '92 Diamond Back Response - hot yellow with Marzocchi forks and brahma bars. Rode it lots, loved it, sold it (in 1995), never seen one since. Woulod love to see a '92 catalogue if anyone has one.

John Galt
    Quote Originally Posted by KDXdog
    WW2 was ended by dropping the Bomb(s) on Japan. Thus creating peace. Sorry.
    And then we had a lot to do with setting up the manufacturing economy there, eventually allowing us to buy quality, affordable Diamondback bikes.

mtbr member

My Ascent and What Kind of Suspension Fork can I upgrade too??

Hello everyone!! Well, I have a EARLY '90s Ascent that I absolutely LOVE for commuting and riding on the weekends with the kids; However, I do have the need to upgrade the suspension fork. YES I am attached to this bike, so I know that buying another bike would be cheaper, but I really want to just improve upon this one. Any suggestions?? and Heres the pics!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

human dehumidifier
    I remember lusting after an Apex at the LBS ... Manitou II shock, Onza pedals, priced around $700 ... ended up with a KHS take-off frame from Supergo instead ... the good old days.
    But if you close your eyes it becomes so easy to see

John Galt
    If it has a 1 1/8" head tube, you have a decent number of choices. Guideline is don't add too much travel, as the geometry of the bike will change. Stick with an older fork with a couple of inches of travel or just try a suspension stem if you're only trying to take the edge off.

mtbr member
    It does have a 1 1/8 Tube, Threadless I believe (whatever that means).... I have been looking online for a week or two, and it is hard to get an idea of what kind of shock to put on an older bike, as most are meant for the newer ones of today. I dont want to climb the rock of Gibraltar or anything like that, I just need to absorb some of the daily impact my arms are enduring in my commute.

mtbr member

Source for decals?

Looking for decals for my 91 axis - anyone know where I can find some?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sballardjr
    Hello everyone!! Well, I have a EARLY '90s Ascent that I absolutely LOVE for commuting and riding on the weekends with the kids; However, I do have the need to upgrade the suspension fork. YES I am attached to this bike, so I know that buying another bike would be cheaper, but I really want to just improve upon this one. Any suggestions?? and Heres the pics!!
    Hey, I thought I recognized that bike. You live in P-ville, don't ya?
    Get on your bikes and ride!

mtbr member
    Attachment 414165

My early 80's Mean Streak and a mid 80's Ascent.
    First Mtn bike
    Last edited by tductape; 02-29-2012 at 11:58 PM.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast