Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Derailleur issue's on my Phoenix SE

781 views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  DMFT 
#1 ·
I need your expertise on this issue I have for some time now;

Im in the progress of getting all the right parts to use on my 12" WTB Phoenix SE. Once in a while I bodge some parts onto a frame to see whether my views upon a project are correct and to see what the final result will be like, more or less...

So the other day I was fiddling with the front drivetrain dept. and faced a problem:

** no, the final crankset wont have those colors, don't be affraid... ;)

You see, Im not a weenie or so, but Ive been thinking for 4-5 weeks now to find a solution for the front mech, so Mark Slate's name won't be hidden. I thought of getting me a braze-on styled front mech, and bodge a clamp for that one.

I bought myself a Suntour Superbe Pro front mech and scored a braze-on clamp at my LBS. First thing that noticed me, was the difference in the diameter of the connection between the derrailleur and the braze-on clamp... Whats that about? Does Suntour require a total different braze on clamp or am I missing something...??

You see, my initial thought was to cut of the der. mountingplate of the clamp and reweld it up side down on the clamp. This way the clamp would be low, and the front mech. could be mounted high enough like it should. But the difference in connecting diameter is keeping me from this so far...

Back to my LBS and found me this stainless steel collar, used for some types of Shimano front mech's. But frankly this version will be over complicated and needs quite some altering on the derailleur itself as well... I also would need to make me some sort of adapter to mount the derailleur on, which will be held on the side of the seattube by this stainless steel collar. Too complicated I recon...

Perhaps I forgot some options... perhaps someone knows a way to solve this issue. I want to mount a derailleur without covering Slate's name, so any tips or suggestions are welcome. Or am I perhaps over exaggerating in my strive for perfection....??

Any input is very welcome!

JB

P.s. a newer style front mech, with a low clamp is totally out of the question. Not only cause it's not out of the same era, but also due the inferior quality of that design....

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm with you on this.

It will kill the appearance of an extremely sweet ride if you cover Mark's name although in light of what transpired over there you could probably remove the name and easily solve your problem.

Couple of questions,what size big ring will you be running,can you downsize?I know these are the obvious.Have you tried working the clamp's mounting point with heat and spreading it enough so the deraileur will fit?Probably the best idea I can offer is to fabricate
a new mounting point for the clamp you purchased so that you can mount the deraileur exactly as you'd like.It might not be the prettiest solution but it really won't be seen down there.I only suggest this bvecause I know you're a pretty handy guy.

I've got a few ideas if you decide to go this path.

#4 ·
~martini~ said:
Are you intent on runnig SunTour? If not, I've got new DX derailleur that would work with the band you got there. I may even have the bolt and wedge.
I measused an XT versus a XC Pro, and it looks like where the Shimano band holds the frame is about a cm lower. You might want to try a stock Shimano FD and see if it clears the decal.

#5 ·
Hmm... I could try the Shimano mech indeed.. but it would be somewhat off to the idea I had with this bike. I have a Suntour Superbe Pro rear mech. lying on stock to install... and besides that I wanted it to have an as most 'WTB-able' setup as possible. But Charlie C. is also a man who will alter his components to fit his needs and workings...

I really would prefer the Suntour mech.... I thought that the cage of the Superbe Pro front mech had a too big radius, so I already worked out a way to take that cage off and install the cage of the XC Pro front mech. I would have to turn some small pivot axles myself, which shouldnt be a big issue. I still would prefer that option before installing a Shimano mech.

@WTB-rider;

I will run a 44-33th setting up front (yes, double rings, no triple). The braze-on clamp is from aluminium and is too burly to just bend open with some heat. I think it would be easier to cut it off and only use the clamp and weld a newly fabricated tab on it. I have set my mind on a solution with this clamp, if possible.... and will file it down a bit to give it a somewhat more smoother and elegant look...

I will have another look at the setup as pictured below with the cranks since that is a 46th ring... Im not quite sure if I have taken that into account, since I determinded later on what my gearing ratio would be.

Thanks for the input sofar, Im off now for my final ride this year ;)

#6 ·
Once again,I'm with you!

Jeroen said:
Hmm... I could try the Shimano mech indeed.. but it would be somewhat off to the idea I had with this bike. I have a Suntour Superbe Pro rear mech. lying on stock to install... and besides that I wanted it to have an as most 'WTB-able' setup as possible. But Charlie C. is also a man who will alter his components to fit his needs and workings...

I really would prefer the Suntour mech.... I thought that the cage of the Superbe Pro front mech had a too big radius, so I already worked out a way to take that cage off and install the cage of the XC Pro front mech. I would have to turn some small pivot axles myself, which shouldnt be a big issue. I still would prefer that option before installing a Shimano mech.

@WTB-rider;

I will run a 44-33th setting up front (yes, double rings, no triple). The braze-on clamp is from aluminium and is too burly to just bend open with some heat. I think it would be easier to cut it off and only use the clamp and weld a newly fabricated tab on it. I have set my mind on a solution with this clamp, if possible.... and will file it down a bit to give it a somewhat more smoother and elegant look...

I will have another look at the setup as pictured below with the cranks since that is a 46th ring... Im not quite sure if I have taken that into account, since I determinded later on what my gearing ratio would be.

Thanks for the input sofar, Im off now for my final ride this year ;)
Sorry,didn't even think about the aluminum issue :eek: Celebrating a little early! I think fabbing a new tab is the only way to go. Double rings as you well know are the standard from the early WTB days, wish I had the legs to run 'em myself.I can't wait to see pics once your build is complete.

#7 ·
WTB-rider said:
Sorry,didn't even think about the aluminum issue :eek: Celebrating a little early! I think fabbing a new tab is the only way to go. Double rings as you well know are the standard from the early WTB days, wish I had the legs to run 'em myself.I can't wait to see pics once your build is complete.
Psst.. here a teaser pic... I took some radom parts I have laying around.. the stem is too long to use with a Dropbar on this bike. Im not quite sure if I want to install a Dirt Drop on this bike... It will need almost the exact same stem as I currently run on my Breezer, which doesn't diserve a price in the beauty contest.. and yes, looks are sorta important.

I have other bikes that might be Dirt Drop worthy, so I can have at least one singlespeed with the DD and one geared. Im actually thinking of having me a titanium handlebar custom bend, more like the wide angled versions WTB had.... Perhaps Steve P. might help me out on that one. Cranks will be the ones pictured, only with a different spider (black) and some custom chainrings, which will be perfectly machined to matched to the spider. Further details will be revieled as soon as the bike is getting finished. Hope to have it going somewhere within 2-3 months from now. (yeah.. projects take time here...)

Ah.. the seatpost is approx. at the height I will have to run it, using the thin Flite saddle. I want an original WTB ofcourse, which (at least I thought) have somewhat more build-height. That might be also visual a bit more pleasing. If someone has a n.o.s. or good WTB saddle with ti rails and no other frills and colors, I pay you good cash....

Have yourself a good new year! Ill be 6-8 hrs ahead to most of you into 2005... catch up with you later! ;)

#8 ·
Jeroen said:
For what its worth, I just happened to visit with Charlie and lots of his bikes have Shimano parts. In fact I think most of the derailleurs were all Shimano as he uses Rapid-fire I think on every flat bar bike I saw.

#9 ·
Jeroen said:
Psst.. here a teaser pic... I took some radom parts I have laying around.. the stem is too long to use with a Dropbar on this bike. Im not quite sure if I want to install a Dirt Drop on this bike... It will need almost the exact same stem as I currently run on my Breezer, which doesn't diserve a price in the beauty contest.. and yes, looks are sorta important.
The fork looks completely out of place on that bike!!! I'll gladly trade you the Judy that's on my Phoenix for that fork so that you have a better bike. What do you say? ;)

#10 ·
laffeaux said:
The fork looks completely out of place on that bike!!! I'll gladly trade you the Judy that's on my Phoenix for that fork so that you have a better bike. What do you say? ;)
Get lost! ;)

#11 ·
laffeaux said:
I would say, heroical :p this is the best expression for this pure unselfish offer to help our young dutch friend to live a better life :D

a happy new year to all out there and all the best to you and your families/friends etc.

ciao
flo

#12 ·
floibex said:
I would say, heroical :p this is the best expression for this pure unselfish offer to help our young dutch friend to live a better life :D

a happy new year to all out there and all the best to you and your families/friends etc.

ciao
flo
A better life...? A suspension fork has only one purpose in my house; picking up dust... dust seems to be not that healthy for humans..... So I recon its in our best interest if we'd keep it the way it is now ;)

Ah.. and ofcourse best wishes to all of you guys :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.