Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

Depreciation of value?

Hey guys,
    I own a '96 Kline Mantra It is a killer bike and I bought it from a guy that neglected to ride it and so it has sat in his garage. Anyway Because it is an original Kline (Kline famously sold to Trek) one of the first robust aluminum frames on the market at the time and it has historical value I was wondering if it would at least retain its value if not rise on the market price because it could be a potential collectors item. Thoughts can you help me? Happy riding.
    "If you have built castles in the air, that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them."
    -Thoreau

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AKnRDR View Post
    Hey guys,
    I own a '96 Kline Mantra It is a killer bike and I bought it from a guy that neglected to ride it and so it has sat in his garage. Anyway Because it is an original Kline (Kline famously sold to Trek) one of the first robust aluminum frames on the market at the time and it has historical value I was wondering if it would at least retain its value if not rise on the market price because it could be a potential collectors item. Thoughts can you help me? Happy riding.
    Strange. I just googled Kline Bicycles and it came up with nothing! Must be rare.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Strange. I just googled Kline Bicycles and it came up with nothing! Must be rare.
    Klein Bikes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You obviously did not look very hard beacuse there is a wikipedia page on it and you can find it on trek sites and forms in eddition to ebay and other places. Kline was an internationaly known company and t
    "If you have built castles in the air, that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them."
    -Thoreau

mtbr member
    Sorry that last post may have been a little harsh... I just really love my Kline!
    -Thoreau

mtbr member
    I really love Deen frames myself.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Linoleum View Post
    I really love Deen frames myself.
    Those are da bomb. I love Merlyns too.

Sorry that last post may have been a little harsh... I just really love my Kline!
    That's okay! I'm glad you love them and it shows!

mtbr member
    Thoughts can you help me?

This is basically my mantra. I mean, mom-bra.
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    I think some places charge a disposal fee for Mantra's and their stink-buggin' ilk.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

velocipede technician
    Long answer made short

No
    looking for 20-21" P team

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Cool-blue Rhythm Ride it like you stole it!

Hey guys,
    Well, that's what I'd do.

To hell with "value" a bike has no value if its not appreciated. Remind me of those guitar hoarders, none of them playing any of their priceceless guitar. What is the point ? (Not implying you can't ride)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phiu-x View Post
    Well, that's what I'd do.

To hell with "value" a bike has no value if its not appreciated. Remind me of those guitar hoarders, none of them playing any of their priceceless guitar. What is the point ? (Not implying you can't ride)
    Great point I love my bike and I justmwant to know more about it. Check out the mount marathon race seward alaska thats what I ride on top to bottom.
    -Thoreau

Hissatsu Jitensha-nin
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Those are da bomb. I love Merlyns too.

That's okay! I'm glad you love them and it shows!

I'm a new fan of wochicks, steal is reel babee.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Great point I love my bike and I justmwant to know more about it. Check out the mount marathon race seward alaska thats what I ride on top to bottom.
    Well, at least you are consistent, even if you can not read the logo on your own bike.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Sneaker man
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Well, at least you are consistent, even if you can not read the logo on your own bike.
    Lol

I think (just to be boring) you'll find that the hardtail Klein's hold their value (or go up) the FS bikes, especially the mantra, there are die hard lovers of them, but not that many and the value...not so much.
    If you like the ride of it, then ride it till it dies, then toss in skip.
    Personally I find the mantra to be one of the ugliest bikes ever made, but an attitude or adroit (even rascals,pinnacles etc) to be some of the most beautiful...
    but whatever you do before posting again is go look at the main tube on your bike and read what it says, maybe then people will less inclined to take the piss
    2003 Yeti ARC
    2008 GT Zaskar Reissue
    1996 GT Xizang
    2012 Cervelo R3

mtbr member
    Great point I love my bike and I justmwant to know more about it.
    It's a Klein, not a Kline and the Mantras have consistently gone down in value to the point where you can find them for $300 or less. Maybe 15 years from now the value will increase but I don't think it's worth holding onto as an investment unless you plan to pass it onto your great grand children fully restored in excellent condition.

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Klein Bikes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You obviously did not look very hard beacuse there is a wikipedia page on it and you can find it on trek sites and forms in eddition to ebay and other places. Kline was an internationaly known company and t
    Kevin Kline - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We looked as hard as you did when you proofread the name on your own freakin' bike.

Grumps

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Hey guys,
    The Kleins that were made from 88-94 are the desirable models and the ones that have the most value. After 94 is a Trek/Klein bike and their value fell drastically.
    The rigid framed bikes are by far the nicer Kleins and the Mantra was one of those bikes designed to fit into a niche market. Since yours is a 96, it's a Trek bike and as others have posted, not really worth much. If it has full XTR and a rare front end or rare wheelset, then it might be worth considerable more. Ebay sells these bikes from $300-$700 depending on condition.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    I never understood folks who have the product in their hands, logos all over it, and insist on misspelling it anyway, repeatedly, ad nauseam.

I mean, I understand a typo, things happen. But it's like trying to pay for a $20 item with a $5 bill, and assuming since they are the same size, it'll be worth the same amount......

See it on CL all the time.

Makes the spelling/grammar nazi in me go bonkers.

Then there's the guy I know who insists on adding letters to words when spoken. One comes to mind who insists on adding an N to any word starting with Pa. Pantagonia, Pantina, etc. You see the name on the catalogue, or your fleece, don't you? No freaking N there!!!!!

If it's a legit thing like Dyslexia, totally different ball of wax, no offense intended to the OP, but it looks like they spell well enough otherwise.

If you came looking for legitimate answers to legitimate questions, spelling said item properly goes along way in showing respectful intent for all parties involved, including yourself and the bike...

As for the bike? Yeah, not worth much on the collector market compared to the hardtails of pre-Trek origin. Many oddball Mantra builds out there, they do seem to bring out the Biker Fox in some folks.....
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    those crocs make you look cool. nice butt too.

mtbr member
    Hey guys I am sorry about the typo my iPad auto corrected sending everyone into a swirl of confusion. Please forgive me. Anyway I could still use some information on my bike. Oh and my model was the last one sold before Klein sold to trek. At least according to mtb forum anyway hope that clears some stuff up. Thanks for all of your input!

jasonwa2

Originally Posted by weps
    this should be quick and easy for you, but i'm having trouble finding the answer.

thx
    I dont know the exact date. But i would say early 96.

I think things started "changing" with the 97 line up.
    That was the first year with the MC3 which was the standard 1 1/8 headsets and the standard threaded BB.

I have heard people say they liked the 97 though.
    Still a klein but with standard interchangeable stuff.

Now if you asked me which klein was the worst.
    I think i would have to say the 98 i believe.

I think that was the year where there were no adroits and the kleins were really pulses
    With the most horrible paintjobs. Paintjobs flaked off easily and the klein stickers were almost just stuck on the outside of the paintjob that easily wiped off.
    I don't know how they rode.

All this is just my opinion and i could be wrong on these details.....
    Desperately searching for a klein 120mm O-rise MC1 mission control stem /handlebars or any 1 1/4 quill stem equivalent.
    EDIT- HELLOOOOOOOO......... Desperately means i will pay really,really good money for it.
    -Thoreau

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Hey guys I am sorry about the typo my iPad auto corrected sending everyone into a swirl of confusion. Please forgive me. Anyway I could still use some information on my bike.
    There's nothing I like more in this forum than a guy that can roll with the punches. Thanks so much for being a good sport, Alaskan Rider.

By the way, I've been to Seward. Beautiful area. Are you really going to be doing that big dh run on the Mantra?

mtbr member
    Yes I will be, however I want to replace the front forks with at least 120mm schicks beacuse right now I only have 80mm and they are outdated anyway it is going to be awsome will post a video on the passion forum!
    -Thoreau

What could go wrong ...
    Yes I will be, however I want to replace the front forks with at least 120mm schicks beacuse right now I only have 80mm and they are outdated anyway it is going to be awsome will post a video on the passion forum!
    Have you given any thought as to what that will do to the HTA and handling of the bike
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    HTA? And how would it effect my handeling. Please educate me.
    -Thoreau

ahh yes, Jasonwa2. He knew a lot about Klines.

Why would you own 100 Yugos when you could own 1 Porsche? - Rumpfy

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast