Thread: Defining VCR

mtbr member

Defining VCR

Merriam-Webster

Vintage: of old, recognized, and enduring interest, importance, or quality.

Retro: relating to, reviving, or being the styles...of the past : fashionably nostalgic or old-fashioned.

Classic: serving as a standard of excellence : of recognized value.

I post the above in an effort to start a dialog about whether or not this forum is to narrow in its definition of VRC. To my eye's there is a strong presence wanting to treat this forum as "Vintage Only" when in fact "Classic" could describe items in current production and "Retro" by definition would relate to something made after the lifecycle of a product has ended.

I challenge any of you to make a compelling argument that a Thomson Stem is NOT a perfect example of a classic Mountain Bike part and as we all know you can go today and buy a new Thomson stem in almost any bike shop in the country.

Note: The pic attached is from the NAHBS just a few weeks ago.

Defining VCR-retrotec-29-plus-cruiser-frame-mountain-bike01.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    ....the Thomson stem was released back around 2000/2001 which makes if fall into that late 90's early 2000's that many would consider an era of classic mountain bikes due to so many of the American brand pioneers putting out excellent stuff then right before most of them ended up getting bought out, folded up, or shipped overseas.

If you have a Thomson from back then, it is classic. If you bought one yesterday it would be Retro as it is unchanged. Either way it still fits the description of the forum imho.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Read sticky. It's been debated ad nauseum.

EDIT:
    I'm sorry. I was on the road so I should probably provide a more complete explanation as to why I'm closing this thread:

This subject comes up very frequently and while Rumpfy collected some threads where this was heavily debated, if you do a google search, there are literally hundreds and hundreds of posts regarding this subject some of which I have posted below. The first one even also begins with a Webster's definition.

It would be nice if we could have a healthy debate on this matter but as grounddoggy noted, sorry, all of us random people on the internet are awfully immature and there is the inevitable name calling and whining and stubborn manic posting that happens and frankly, I'm sick of it.

So, OP, I apologize. But let's give it a few days after the last crybabyfest and maybe we can try and have a conversation on the matter again.

VRC Defined
    What's your definition of VRC?
    What is your VRC philosophy?
    So when does a bike become a VRC?
    VRC and what it means to me

Laffeaux even made great points in this thread:
    When will a 29er fit in here?
    Last edited by girlonbike; 03-08-2013 at 09:29 PM.