mtbr member
    May 2009

deer head rd-m700 with short cage on ebay - anybody knows this

hi,
    found a nice rd-m700 rear derailleur on ebay today. strangely, it has a short cage which doesn't seem to be original since it's not a "super plate". has there ever been such a version, maybe a race bike version of the XT? that would be new to me...
    or maybe can anyone help me with the text. i'm from france and don't speak german at all.
    here the link: http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=190306755825

mtbr member
    May 2009
    aaahh sorry guys!!
    i didn't see the english description when i first visited this page. i was trying to use googles translation tool - doesn't work well. now it's clear "modified to short cage"...

CS2
    mtbr member
    Short english description: Nice Shimano XT Rear Derailleur modified to short cage. Pivots move freely without play and spring feels tight. Jockey wheels are in nice shape and spin freely. Derailleur is all in all in very good condition – see pictures. Nickname "Deer Head". Feel free to ask me your questions. Please note: international Shipping rates are approximate rates. Please ask me in advance for the exact shipping rates to your place. I will ttry to find te most valuable rates for you.

Looks like it was modified by the owner.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    thanks CS2.
    I noticed this english part yesterday (but some time after I posted this thread). I've been quite keen on this item (combined with a reasonable price) for years. but since this is only half-original I guess I will have to wait some more years... I think if it had the deer head cage the price would be very good and it would be mine...

Carsten
    M700 rear derailleurs are not difficult to find. watch ebay for a while. i actually like it better with the short cage.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carsten
    M700 rear derailleurs are not difficult to find. watch ebay for a while. i actually like it better with the short cage.
    Was the M700 ever offered with a short cage?

Carsten
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2
    Was the M700 ever offered with a short cage?
    no but the 600 road cage of that era fits as shown in that auction. a pretty common modification back then.

Bike Dork
    Modded parts are the way to go if you're building something nice. I don't think any of my favorite bikes over the years some modded or non-stock part on them. Also, short-cages were all the rage for racing bikes until around '94.