mtbr member
    Aug 2018

Decision - Which Super V?

Super V Carbon 900 - late 90's vintage versus Super V 1000 (vintage 2000). Both around $300. Which would you pick and why (first mountain bike)? Is the higher number the better bike??

Cycologist
    At this point, I'd be more concerned about condition than where each model positioned twenty years ago. BTBH, I'd look for something else for the money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Why start a new thread when you have answers in the other one, which haven't been responded to?

There is no Super V Carbon. So, it's a Raven? What version? Gen one or two? We're trying to help you better understand your situation, no one is going to hold you hand and tell you what you should do (and if they do, they are a salesman, and not to be trusted).

Gen one, run away, gen two, buy because it grabs you by the pants yabbies, but they are failure prone, unless the fixes were done, and even then, they are still light, fragile, and now, old.

Beyond that, yes, higher # equals better parts, but between 900 and 1000, there's little improvement.

We need more info, pictures, etc, and just starting the same thread repeatedly on different boards, not only diminishes any attention you might get, but it also becomes cross posting, which is something you can do once, but not across multiple boards, just FYI, MTBR rules....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    MCS - thanks for the enlightenment. Was unaware of the cross posting issue. Why? Clearly different folks are following different threads. Different folks have different opinions. I'd like to hear them all, and I am trying to make a decision within a very narrow window. Nonetheless, I will refrain from cross posting in the future.

So, it's pretty clear that neither of these would make for an intelligent investment, even at the $300 price point. So do either of you have any recommendations as to where and on what I should be spending this money?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    BTW - It's not a Raven.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    So, carbon swing arm then? Sorry but you still haven't clarified.

The carbon swing arm ones, I'd simply avoid. Nifty to look at, they had issues common to early carbon work from anyone.

Cross posting? Not my rule, and I understand your idea. Folks will just take i too far and litter up a dozen forums with the same questions. Humans, we can ruin anything!

For 300 if you can get the newer one, and everything works, cool. What brakes? If it has Coda disc brakes, that's another knock against.

Pics, or more detail. 20 year old bikes are seldom utterly stock, and some choices or components from BITD may impact the outcome too.

Devil is in the details....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com