Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast
    mtbr member

Bonds Bombers

My buddy and I went for a Bomb last night on two Allen Bonds, Hybrids, as he calls them.
    He was the first guy to actually build pretty "Klunkers/Mountainbikes/All Terrain Bikes/Bombers" with meticulously painted frames and polished parts.

He is building more....If interested check his site and contact him.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Cruiser Thread-img_20130904_073314.jpg  

Gamers local 2112
    Jul 2009
    Klunking is fun, and addictive! I keep wanting to build another one like I need another bike. I think most of the guys on here are the DIY types and the build is half the fun!

mtbr member
    Yes. You NEED another one!!

mtbr member
    Finished my modern Klunker build. Used parts bin and new grips.
    Aluminum Trek Calypso is now the "Beach Bruiser"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Cruiser Thread-20131006_100746.jpg  

The Cruiser Thread-20131006_100803.jpg  

The Cruiser Thread-20131006_100822.jpg  

Gamers local 2112
    Jul 2009
    That's cool. How's it ride?

mtbr member
    Took it on rocky gravel downhill road, sandy trail and sweeping fast singletrack with sandy spots and I'm afraid I really like it! The slack headtube lets you barrel through obstacles and makes steep stuff less sketchy while the slack seat tube angle places you closer to the rear axle so on 26" wheels the rear feels tucked and can get through the turns. Only one real ride though and the chain is old so was skipping like crazy. I was "racing" a little local fun trail with some guys so I didn't have time to "dial in" the bike.

Way too fun! highly recommended, but I dont have much storage space for it! I end up wanting to keep everything I build anyhow but this has all the parts to go back to a clean cruiser so it may have to go. Not before I have some more fun on it though.

mtbr member
    My late 90s Mongoose Zuma. I tried to make a stick shifter for it.

"I don't suffer from insanity!I rather enjoy it."

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    I can't remember if I posted this one in here. I just rebuilt and painted the fork to match.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The Cruiser Thread-069.jpgThe Cruiser Thread-072.jpgThe Cruiser Thread-077.jpgThe Cruiser Thread-079.jpgThe Cruiser Thread-078.jpgJust (mostly) finished my 1962 Schwinn cruiser, thought some would like to see.
    I added, what I believe to be a 1940's Western Flyer springer fork, Hurricane Zeke cranks with a Spot chain ring, Hurricane H45ss seat post, old Magura motorcycle brake levers, Mavic Crossride wheels and Avid BB5 disc brakes. I had to make custom bolt on disc brake rear dropouts and a mount for my WF springer fork.

The Brutally Handsome
    Looks awesome! Do you have a shot of the disc brake mount? I want to rig up something similar, but I'm short on ideas.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	069.jpg 
Views:	1250 
Size:	172.3 KB 
ID:	838695Click image for larger version. 

Name:	072.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	204.6 KB 
ID:	838696Click image for larger version. 

Name:	077.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	247.3 KB 
ID:	838697Click image for larger version. 

Name:	079.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	179.2 KB 
ID:	838698Click image for larger version. 

Name:	078.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	190.9 KB 
ID:	838699Just (mostly) finished my 1962 Schwinn cruiser, thought some would like to see.
    I added, what I believe to be a 1940's Western Flyer springer fork, Hurricane Zeke cranks with a Spot chain ring, Hurricane H45ss seat post, old Magura motorcycle brake levers, Mavic Crossride wheels and Avid BB5 disc brakes. I had to make custom bolt on disc brake rear dropouts and a mount for my WF springer fork.
    So very wrong and at the same time, so very right! Love it! I'm bringing my Excelsior project back to the mountain to hopefully finish over the winter. Tandem disc brake on the rear, Bendix drum up front. Gonna be nice!
    "Yeah, Humboldt County is way the %#@* up there, but worth it!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Kind of a "neo-retro" thing. I made bolt on disc/ derailluer dropouts so I can return the frame to its original state if need be, but I'm loving it how it sits now.

Anyway Vic, I guess your back up north again, who like to see your Excelsior project, I'm slowing working on my klunker also, need some idea's and need some parts ie; 2 spd Bendix rear hub with coaster brake and a front drum brake. I'm using Joe Breeze' s klunker as my build model.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    end of the line for this one, just last month.
    Mine since 1985, Que Lastima...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Cruiser Thread-photo.jpg.jpg  

The Cruiser Thread-photo.jpg-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Latest version of this one:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Cruiser Thread-heavy-duti-10-13-copy.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by elvez View Post
    end of the line for this one, just last month.
    Mine since 1985, Que Lastima...
    Bummer! Lawwill?
    Brian
    http://www.VintageCrank.com
    WANTED
    Early 80's 22"+
    Ritchey
    Diamondback Ridge Runner
    Trek 850
    MountainBikes Montari(e)

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Sizzler, what disc mount on which bike are you looking for?

Gamers local 2112
    Jul 2009
    looks like a panda pro am, it can be fixed though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yep, Panda.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    Sizzler, what disc mount on which bike are you looking for?
    I would like to see the mount you did to work with the suspension fork on that rad one you posted in post 534.

The Brutally Handsome
    Quote Originally Posted by Boy named SSue View Post
    I would like to see the mount you did to work with the suspension fork on that rad one you posted in post 534.
    And I would like to see the rear brake mount on that bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Keep posted sizzles and Boy named Sue, I'll take close up pics this weekend and post them on this thread.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Here is the pictures of my custom disc dropouts I made for my cruiser. I didn't want to compromise the frame by welding on braze on's , so I carved them out of aluminum plate and bolted them on. I put a bolt in the dropout so it would limit the amount of adjustment and make it easier for the disc brake to line up correctly, also made a dropout with a derailleur mount, in which I put a steel insert in for the threads. I also spread the rear end to 135mm spacing. I was going for the "home made" look, which I think I accomplished.

On the fork, I put the mount on the outside of the existing fork link.
    The bike is awesome, a lot of old and a little new. So far everything works perfectly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Cruiser Thread-069.jpg  

The Cruiser Thread-072.jpg  

The Cruiser Thread-077.jpg  

The Cruiser Thread-079.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images      

mtbr member
    Quote...." Klunking is fun, and addictive! I keep wanting to build another one like I need another bike. I think most of the guys on here are the DIY types and the build is half the fun!"

A New Koski Klunk Fork for your Cruiser?

Get this...there will be a small batch of Koski forks made. These will be made in a similar style to Donny's original design he had Cook Bros. make back in the day for the Bombing community. These were used by everyone, including JB and GF, on there bikes because it was essentially the first ATB fork.

These new forks will be done with a 1" machined steer, for all you forkless Klunkers out there, that will increase in diameter where the 'Uni-crown' blades will be welded.
    There are other cool twists to this Bomber fork, such as new style drop-outs and different brake type mount options.

The size of the first run on the the DK 'Bro-line Fork' will depend on the demand.

Interested? Let us know ASAP.

mtbr member
    What are the good brands of cruisers to get? I mean is an old Schwinn considered a good one...I really would love to go through a really cool one and build it nice. What are the brands with the really sweet chrome tube ends? I like the schwinn lines.

Maybe a little lower. Fat tires. Flat black powdercoat. SS. Big curvy frame.
    but with updated carbon parts post stem bars Nice brooks saddle. Kinda restomod cruiser. old school motorcycle bucket stlye headlight.

mtbr member
    Picked up this partially Klunked Trailmate today. It'll be my fall project. Will post after pictures once I'm done. I'm thinking bullmoose bars will give it a better forward geometry for trail riding. Don't know if I'll do single or multispeed but plan on going freewheel and front/back brakes

Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast