Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    Gamers local 2112
    Jul 2009
    My latest offer to the cruiser/mtb world. Made from a Genuine Bicycle Products BMX cruiser frame and old mountain bike bits.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Cruiser Thread-klunker01.jpg  

The Cruiser Thread-klunker02.jpg  

The Cruiser Thread-klunker03.jpg  

The Cruiser Thread-klunker04.jpg  

mtbr member
    I have seemed to have lost my source for the bottom bracket change over shafts
    for the old bikes to the newer crank sets , where are you guys getting your shafts???

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by weebob View Post
    I have seemed to have lost my source for the bottom bracket change over shafts
    for the old bikes to the newer crank sets , where are you guys getting your shafts???
    I've gotten this Truvative one before... I think you can find it cheaper if you search around.

Parts for older American Bicycles
    --------------

[WTB} 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Weebob might be thinking of these: Pyramid M x 3 Piece Bottom Bracket Set Conversion Kit: Amazon.com: Sports & Outdoors.

I think the truvative option is much better. You can get them for around $18 plus shipping.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Oldfatbaldguy;9502414]Weebob might be thinking of these:

We used to be able to buy just the shaft, and use our bearings, cups and right and left handed threaded races,guess you have to buy the whole kit now??

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

A couple of my bikes

These are from the very early eighties.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Cruiser Thread-img072-1024x725-.jpg  

The Cruiser Thread-img073-1024x689-.jpg  

The Cruiser Thread-img074-1024x729-.jpg  

The Cruiser Thread-img075-1024x695-.jpg  

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingcloud View Post
    These are from the very early eighties.
    I really like the brown '62 Typhoon.
    Do you still have these bikes?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    I really like the brown '62 Typhoon.
    Do you still have these bikes?
    No, these bikes are looooong gone!

mtbr member
    AMF Texas Ranger - Unknown year... I'm guessing 70'ish...

The Cruiser Thread-img_9430.jpg

The Cruiser Thread-img_9431.jpg

The Cruiser Thread-img_9437.jpg

A friend of mine bought it for his sister and asked me get her back running again (the bike).

Was able to fit in tires, chain, pedals, freewheel, brake pads, cables and housing for about $85. Not exactly a vintage restoration. But, I think it's a nice looking bike.
    Contact information: http://about.me/marpilli

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Wow, my Mom and Dad had the his and hers version of the AMF. They looked just like that. We had lots of family bike rides around the neighborhood on those.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    That bash guard looks trials ready.....
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

1982 SoCal Klunker / Cruiser

Thanks for taking a moment to check out my bike!

Finally done!!! This has been by far the slowest build ever in my 25+ years of turning out bikes!

This is a 5th anniversary special edition 1982 Diamond Back California Klunker; I found it wasted, rusted, and in need of rescuing.

Once I tore it down and tossed out everything except the frame, fork, original handlebars, original Dia-Compe levers, and original grips it was ready for sandblasting and powder coating. The powder coat color is Wet Black, I really wanted it to shine like it did back on '82. Originally I was sticking to a purist build with only period correct parts but I started to realize that I was very limited on part options from a performance standpoint. That bothered me because I fully intend to use this bike and I want it to perform well on the trail. So, I had to get creative and blend new with old. . . I definitely did not want it to look like any of the garbage from China that I see everywhere today!

Diamond Back 5th Anniversary Special Edition California Klunker
    FRAME -- Tange CrMo
    FORK -- Tange CrMo
    HEADSET -- NOS Tioga Bear Trap
    REAR DERAILLEUR -- NOS Shimano 7 speed drop out mount
    HUBS - Shimano Deore DX
    RIMS -- Ritchey Vantage Comp
    TIRES -- 2.1 Kenda Nevagel (unhappy, going to change)
    BRAKES -- Suntour Roller Cam with Tektro center plate mount
    BRAKE LEVERS -- Original stock -- Dia-Compe MotoX
    CRANK -- GT one-piece 180mm
    PEDALS -- Primo magnesium platforms
    SHIFTER - Shimano Deore XT thumb shifter
    HANDLEBAR -- Original stock
    FREEWHEEL - AJ-AM 7 cassette (11-30)
    STEM -- NOS GT BMX 4 bolt
    SEAT POST -- Diamond Back Tange CrMo (Tioga made, Japan) with Odyssey Pozi-Stop
    SEAT - SDG USA "Big Boy"
    GRIPS -- Original stock - A'ME BMX
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Cruiser Thread-sm82dbklunker1.jpg  

The Cruiser Thread-sm82dbklunker2.jpg  

The Cruiser Thread-sm82dbklunker3.jpg  

The Cruiser Thread-sm82dbklunker4.jpg  

The Cruiser Thread-dbklunkbuild3.jpg  

Last edited by neo_pop_71; 10-31-2012 at 09:14 AM. Reason: spelling error - brain fart

Illuminati
    I like the roller cams. maybe thats an optical illusion, but the forks look bent backwards?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Eyes playin' tricks!

Hey Scant,

Thanks for the reply! The forks are deceiving, I thought the same when I saw that photo for the first time. It almost made me sick after I'd just had the fork powder coated! I went so far as to have the mechanic at my LBS measure the rake and angle to the head tube and thankfully there is nothing bent or out of whack! +2 point for noticing and pointing it out, thanks!

I love roller cam brakes! I think they are the best looking design and since I was originally trying for a classic Klunker build, I really wanted to make them work. Especially from a performance standpoint, the original lousy side pull BMX caliper setup was never going to work for me. I wanted stopping power but I didn't want to go the drum brake route. The Tektro mounting plate with the brake bosses for roller cams was the best discovery... I was so stoked!!! I think they were $10.00 each and totally saved the day, my roller cams were going to see life again after the pair had been dead in the parts bin for years!

Thanks again!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Cruiser Thread-dbklunktektro.jpg  

Retro on Steroids
    Not worth a new thread, but...

I ran into Alan Bonds this morning. He was doing a shakedown ride on his latest build, a klunker with 650B wheels. I'm showing my 29er wheel with his for comparison.

Original right-hand-only thumbhifter from about 1979.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Cruiser Thread-ab_klunker1.jpg  

The Cruiser Thread-ab_klunker2.jpg  

The Cruiser Thread-ab_klunker3.jpg  

The Cruiser Thread-ab_klunker4.jpg  

The Cruiser Thread-ab_klunker5.jpg  

It don't mean a feng if it ain't got that
    shui.

clunker
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider View Post
    Not worth a new thread, but...

I ran into Alan Bonds this morning. He was doing a shakedown ride on his latest build, a klunker with 650B wheels. I'm showing my 29er wheel with his for comparison.

Original right-hand-only thumbhifter from about 1979.
    Nice pics CK, here's a page we have started for the build - would be great if you could send me copies of those shots you took to add to the site.
    ...strictly downhill...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    that is thinking outside the box. the reason these guys are the rock stars they are!

Old School
    Quote Originally Posted by neo_pop_71 View Post
    The Tektro mounting plate with the brake bosses for roller cams was the best discovery...
    Thanks again!
    That's a pretty cool braking option.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Veloculture View Post
    it's un-restored and far more mtn bike than cruiser but here is my 1985 Cook.

love that bike!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel View Post
    That's a pretty cool braking option.
    Thanks Joe!

I sure thought it was a great find! Beats the heck outta' those old school side pull BMX brakes and gives the option of a Roller Cam brake, a U-brake, or and Odyssey 1st generation Pit Bull brake. All options are certainly a usable option for a trail worthy klunker.

I have to say this given Tektro/Origin8 product history, if you like what you see, even if you think you might have a need in the future, buy them as soon as possible. They have a bad pay of disco'ing product and that's it... too bad, so sad!

Anyway, thanks for the good word!

-D-

mtbr member
    I have to say this given Tektro/Origin8 product history, if you like what you see, even if you think you might have a need in the future, buy them as soon as possible. They have a bad pay of disco'ing product and that's it... too bad, so sad!

-D-
    Too late.

Tektro U1 BMX U Brake Adaptor Plate Black Alloy in Tree Fort Bikes Brake Parts (cat222)

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    DAMN ! ! !

You're breaking my heart Boy Named SSue... I can't believe that, already?!!! I'd better start combing the various sites to see if anyone has some backstock available. Thanks for the heads up, I had no idea, it hasn't been that long since I ordered the pair I used on my klunker!

mtbr member
    DAMN ! ! !

You're breaking my heart Boy Named SSue... I can't believe that, already?!!! I'd better start combing the various sites to see if anyone has some backstock available. Thanks for the heads up, I had no idea, it hasn't been that long since I ordered the pair I used on my klunker!
    I just checked about ten sites and struck out myself. Let me know if you find them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Found some!!!

Good morning Boy named SSue,

Man, what an ordeal trying to find these! Thankfully I was able to find some, I had to call my old buddy who is a BMX guru. "Oh, just hit up Dan's Comp, they'll have 'em for sure." I did and they do! Here's the link:

990 Brake Plate at Danscomp

Best regards,

-DON-
    Last edited by neo_pop_71; 11-14-2012 at 08:16 AM. Reason: bad link

Schipperkes are cool.
    The Cruiser Thread-mms_picture.jpg

The Cruiser Thread-mms_picture-1-.jpg

Hmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast