Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast
    Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyMTB
    Forgot to add this to the cruiser thread. Swapped out the aluminum riser bars for these unknown powder coated cruiser bars (CW maybe?). Also pictured is my ever changing Breezer Iggy with recently added CBR cranks.
    Where can I get a set of those landing gear forks?
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts
    Where can I get a set of those landing gear forks?
    SE Bikes sells the threadless 1 and 1/8 and they are going to start selling 1 inch threaded ones later this year. Otherwise, you gotta watch Ebay and have your wallet ready.
    Wanted:Nothing. I have too much.

horn doggie
    Here's one I put together yesterday for my best friend. I'd had this repainted 70's vintage cruiser frame in my garage a couple of years, and wanted it out of the way. It's one I saved from the dumpster at a shop that was going out of business.

I recycled parts I had hanging around the garage, but opted for a new set of prebuilt Alex cruiser wheels with Nexus 3-speed and alloy rims to save weight (Y303 alloy rims) and add versatility. The tires are from Cheng Shin (CST); they look pretty cool and were dirt cheap (retail ~ $9/ea.). Also picked up a new set of Wald cruiser bars and roving eyeball bell. The grips are kinda bleh... but it's what I had laying around.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Cruiser Thread-nixon-017.resize.jpg  

The Cruiser Thread-nixon-002.resize.jpg  

The Cruiser Thread-nixon-011.resize.jpg  

The Cruiser Thread-nixon-012.resize.jpg  

Wanted:

Potts, Potts, Potts

mtbr member
    Beauty!

mtbr member
    Nirve single-speed coaster brake cruiser... picked it up for $180 from Performance Bike, LOVE IT!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Cruiser Thread-nirve-2-.jpg  

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    By far the most comfortable bike I own. Wish I could've kept the forged fork and the truss rods but the steerer was bent. Oh well, I will find a replacement eventually.

http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    here is what i currently have for cruisers:

madwagon:

bullseye hubs laced to salsa gordo's
    magura 500 hydro rim brakes
    syncros stem

63 western auto western flyer (i have the tank and original fork still) it now has a different saddle and bars

63 sears spaceliner (soon to be for sale)

old ross i repainted

yes that is a car horn on the front

58 schwinn (model unknown)

i want to build it into a klunker

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    1980cooks bros. ta cranks, atom drum brakes, b-72.

The Cruiser Thread-36778_1493346899453_1407463416_31330920_4786231_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    ★★ OWNER OF RATRODBIKES.COM ★★

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    cooks now. cunningham hubs, type two fork, ti seat post, b-17, cooks cruiser bars. with 1999 female border collie.

The Cruiser Thread-36778_1493344819401_1407463416_31330907_6728527_n.jpg

Fan of 'Hams
    Quote Originally Posted by den haag
    cooks now. cunningham hubs, type two fork, ti seat post, b-17, cooks cruiser bars. with 1999 female border collie.
    I love it!... More pics / detail of "now" version please.

It's too bad your before/after pics got split up with that repost.

mtbr member

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	36778_1493344819401_1407463416_31330907_6728527_n.jpg 
Views:	1244 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	552025

yeah, great bike and dog! Love that old vintage shot and the new version looks to be super cool!

Let's see more vintage and new pics.

mtbr member
    That is some pretty country.

Cunningham BMX hubs? You must be a Marin local!

mtbr member
    Damn, an origional CBR running a type II and Cunningham BMX hubs. Best bike that we've seen in a while.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

my cook bros now,

sorry about the split pics. i NEED schoolin'. the hubs are some extras from the '80s. Hi-E hi-lo rear- both hubs have rivets. ceramic sup rims w/dt spokes and alloy nips, pauls rear brake and levers, charlie rollercam up front, chris king headset, willits stem (he made the ti seatpost for a hex tube aluminum Monarch which self destructed), cooks e-cranks w/paragon ti ring and guard. the only original parts are the frame and bb bearing cups.

mtbr member
    sorry about the split pics. i NEED schoolin'. the hubs are some extras from the '80s. Hi-E hi-lo rear- both hubs have rivets. ceramic sup rims w/dt spokes and alloy nips, pauls rear brake and levers, charlie rollercam up front, chris king headset, willits stem (he made the ti seatpost for a hex tube aluminum Monarch which self destructed), cooks e-cranks w/paragon ti ring and guard. the only original parts are the frame and bb bearing cups.
    Wholly smokes,
    Designer Cruiser. I give up. Awesome- ride, history, and friends.......
    Thanks for posting. I am curious about the ti seatpost. Always thought it would be fun to order a solid length from Titanium Joe to put on a Klunker. Right when you think you are onto something new, you realize it was done already. Sure would like to see more photo's of your bike.
    Thanks for sharing,
    T
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    i bought this bike used, from neil murdoch, in 1980. at 35lbs it was one of the coolest bikes in crested butte. i sold it in '82 for partial downpayment for my cunningham. #7. i was able to buy it back in (maybe) '89. it had been converted to cants with a noname unicrown fork. i HAD to put the type two on it. the only thing i regret is not knowing that i could buy a bmx chris king headset. i had inserts made for a one inch headset, and pressed them in. really no problem. the places i've been, and the things i've seen on this bike, you can only imagine.

mtbr member
    i bought this bike used, from neil murdoch, in 1980. at 35lbs it was one of the coolest bikes in crested butte. i sold it in '82 for partial downpayment for my cunningham. #7. i was able to buy it back in (maybe) '89. it had been converted to cants with a noname unicrown fork. i HAD to put the type two on it. the only thing i regret is not knowing that i could buy a bmx chris king headset. i had inserts made for a one inch headset, and pressed them in. really no problem. the places i've been, and the things i've seen on this bike, you can only imagine.
    Newbs take note (can we get a sticky on this?). This - right here - is why I tune in, folks!

A Cooks Bros. cruiser formerly owned by Murdoch/Bannister, customized up the ying-yang with - amongst a bunch of cool stuff - Cunningham modified hubs /roller-cam and a Potts fork... Did OHO build the wheels?

What will it cost me to get in your will?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    charlie welded the fork. i built the wheels. the first wheel i ever laced was the rear wheel on my #7. again, dt spokes, alloy nips a starahl rims. the stem is ti tubing, with a(n) SR head milled to press in.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    den haag - word's can't express...so wow!

jb

mtbr member
    Cool. More pics please?
    Wanted:Nothing. I have too much.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    i love this thread! i've found a second home. the old rear loading schwinns are KNOCKING ME OUT!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

1939 Dx

Finished the build today. Very happy with the results
    ----------

Frame: 1939 Schwinn DX "Schwinn Ace", S/N: B21178
    Fork: NOS 1981 Tange TX-1200
    Headset: NOS Tange MX-2
    Stem: Ashtabula (1978)
    Handlebar: 90's BMX cruiser Answer Alumilite 7075
    Grips: Ritchey True Grips (contemporary)
    Brake Levers: NOS/NIB 1987 Dia Compe AD 290 4-finger levers in grey
    Chain: KMC BMX Z-chain in silver
    Cranks: 175mm TA ProVis 5 anniversary edition with retro stickers
    Chainring: TA 30T
    Bottom Bracket: Tange 68x122.5 with TruVativ bottom bracket adapter (both contemporary)
    Pedals: NOS MKS BMX-7
    Rims: Araya 7C 26x1.75. NOS silver, stripped and re-anodized red
    Hubs: Sturmey Archer X-RD8(W) rear; X-FD front
    Tires: Cheng Shin C693 26x2.125
    Saddle: Brooks B-72 w/ chrome rails
    Seatpost: Custom turned solid 6061, clear anodized
    Seatpost Binder: Campy

Weight: 38 lbs of klunker fun

Build saga here: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=81547

----------

Last edited by J_Westy; 06-27-2010 at 09:24 PM.

horn doggie
    That's a purdy piece right there. The repaint is tasty, and the details match the bits very well.

What are you using for the front brake torque arm clamp? I like the way it seems to fit the fork diameter, and is mechanically solid; I need one for my DX's TX-1200.
    Wanted:

Potts, Potts, Potts

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by scooderdude
    That's a purdy piece right there. The repaint is tasty, and the details match the bits very well.

What are you using for the front brake torque arm clamp? I like the way it seems to fit the fork diameter, and is mechanically solid; I need one for my DX's TX-1200.
    Thank you sir. Your bike was the inspiration for both of mine.

It's a MX 1" hinged BMX seatpost clamp (pretty cheap on ebay). I made a spacer out of some stainless tubing and used a longer bolt. I also ground down the OD of a stainless lock washer to drop in the counterbore on the clamp -- the bottom of that bore was chamfered and I wanted to firm up the spot where the tube sits. I obviously also had to drill a hole in the arm on the brake.

-------------

edit: Added some better pics of the clamp above.
    Last edited by J_Westy; 06-27-2010 at 07:17 PM.

Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast