Thread: cruiser ID help

Highly Ir-regular
    May 2006

cruiser ID help

Sorry, no photos but I've got a chance at an old bike, Schwinn 50's style, with a fully lugged frame, hub brakes front and rear, some weird Diacompe brake levers, above bar thumb shifters, rear derailer (didn't notice if there was a front, might be an internal three speed hub?) looks to be all original. It's rusted but looks to be surface only, the brakes work, it's rideable and in overall pretty good shape. No decals or headbadge, any ideas what it could be or where /what to look for clues? thanx guys.....I'm buying it anyway , $50.00 and I've gotta take his Magna piece of crap in the deal.

(this style frame but fully lugged)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I won't sell these for a penny less than $60.00. I'd rather put 'em back on the shelf and keep 'em! "

velocipede technician

google the #

http://oldroads.com/sh_sn.asp

lotsa other sites if you look
    looking for 20-21" P team

mtbr member
    It's a lugged cruiser frame? Sure it was made by Schwinn?

Most of the Schwinn cruisers were made by a Schwinn process called Electro Forging. The final product looks almost fillet brazed, except for the final joint, which is an ugly looking weld (usually near where the chain stays meet the BB).

Lugged frames are a lot of work to build (especially compared to Schwinn's process). If it's really is a lugged frame, then it's probably a pretty nice frame.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

Highly Ir-regular
    May 2006
    no, I just said it looks like the Schwinn pictured. It is definately lugged, not pretty lugs but lugs none the less. There is a serial number on the top of the seatpost but I can't read it yet. The owner isn't home so I don't want to snoop too much. The shifters are Suntour and there is a front and rear derailer. The brake levers are Chinese? Cheng? (like the ones pictured) ..The crankset is 3 piece and is French " TA Specialties" I think it said ( like these in picture). And the front fork is a Chrome BMX style. More to follow.....
    "I won't sell these for a penny less than $60.00. I'd rather put 'em back on the shelf and keep 'em! "

mtbr member
    It sounds like either a Klunker conversion of some sort, or a low end early 80's beach cruiser. The TA cranks are a good sign, and alone are worth the $50.

"Chang Star" made lower end levers, as I'm sure many other companies.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

Highly Ir-regular
    May 2006

Pictures !!!

I finally caught up with the owner, talked for a bit and he dropped to $30.00. So I rode it home (barely ) . He said the front fork was a Redline (probably the bars and brake levers too), he was told the frame was a Schwinn , rear derailer is Shimano Crane GS, the front is a Suntour, front hub is Sturmey-Archer drum brake and rear is a Schwinn Atom 5 speed drum brake, rims are Araya anodized and the rest is a hodgepodge his kid was putting together. Sounds like a perfect Klunker to me .Needs a complete rebuild but hey, why not!

notice how the seat stays are nearly straight and how short the chainstays are compared to the Schwinn....

the serial number at the top of the seattube is "90583" with an "A" under it.

and the headset is a Campy..Euro' bike?

and...I didn't have to take the Magna POS in the deal
    Last edited by stan4bikes; 06-23-2007 at 06:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Nice pick up. Looks like there's not a work to finish that off.

Not sure what brand frame that is. I'd be surprised if it were a Schwinn. It looks pretty old.

These guys would likely know:
    http://www.thecabe.com/vbulletin/index.php

Members who have read this thread: 0