mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Is this a crime?

I wish I knew my stuff regarding vintage mountain bikes. I know I love them and wish I had the cash for an original Yo Eddie but Iím on an average budget with lotís of bills so something a little more down to earth will do. I recently picked up this 1991 Stumpjumper Comp and it had a shot Manitou fork on it. Everything else is in very clean condition. I started hunting for a suitable fork and found out just how little I know about restoring or fixing mountain bikes. I happened to have an old Panasonic MC 5500 frame laying around so I tried using the fork. I cut it down a bit and it seems to work fine. Iíd rather have a Stumpjumper fork but I have no idea where to find one.
    Is this a crime what Iíve done here? Any help/tips would be awesome.
    I already know itís ugly as can be
    If you guys think this fork will work I will strip it down and paint it.
    Iím not a heavy charger - just light trail riding.

Is this a crime?-crime1.jpgIs this a crime?-crime2.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I think what you've done fits the bike perfectly. That bike will handle better with that rigid fork than with an old, worn out suspension fork.

As for the next step, I'd say don't bother painting the fork, and save you time and money for sourcing an even nicer rigid fork. Keep an eye on eBay for an appropriately sized Spinner, Tange, Specialized Direct Drive or Ritchey fork. You'll want to make sure you're getting top shelf versions of each, so what you'll want to look for is full chromoly construction and cast, not stamped dropouts. I've also found a good indicator for a nice riding steel fork to be a sub 2 pound weight.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeDumler View Post
    I think what you've done fits the bike perfectly. That bike will handle better with that rigid fork than with an old, worn out suspension fork.

As for the next step, I'd say don't bother painting the fork, and save you time and money for sourcing an even nicer rigid fork. Keep an eye on eBay for an appropriately sized Spinner, Tange, Specialized Direct Drive or Ritchey fork. You'll want to make sure you're getting top shelf versions of each, so what you'll want to look for is full chromoly construction and cast, not stamped dropouts. I've also found a good indicator for a nice riding steel fork to be a sub 2 pound weight.
    Thank you sir. That was exactly what info I was looking for. Now Iíll go Google ďSpinnerĒ and ďcastĒ to get up to speed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    So I scoured ebay and lotís of forks but most are 1 1/8Ē. I believe I need 1Ē? Correct?
    Looks like some patients are in order.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bp101 View Post
    So I scoured ebay and lotís of forks but most are 1 1/8Ē. I believe I need 1Ē? Correct?
    Looks like some patients are in order.
    Yes, you are looking for a threaded 1" fork. You'll also want to make sure that any potential fork has the correct length steerer tube with a long enough threaded portion for your bike.

Sneaker man
    I thin the fork looks quite nice (from the pics, could be aweful in real life) the bit of blue just sets off the rest of the bike nicely.
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    I thin the fork looks quite nice (from the pics, could be aweful in real life) the bit of blue just sets off the rest of the bike nicely.
    I was thinking about a quick cheap rattle can paint job and matching the red decals. It really looks funky in person.

Sneaker man
    the bigger crime is that seat...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    the bigger crime is that seat...
    Canít argue with that. Itís on the list for replacing. Previous/original owner said he had the shop where he bought it change out a bunch of things. Brakes, wheels, seat...
    Iím slowly going to bring it back to original if I come across the parts.

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    I was thinking about a quick cheap rattle can paint job and matching the red decals. It really looks funky in person.
    On the forks? Yeah, I wouldn't paint the frame though.

As for your question, is this a crime?

Gees, it's not as if you've hacked off the cable guides and MIG welded a disc tab to it. A lot of people chuck their toys over things that can be swapped in 10 minutes with a 5mm allen key, and while we might all prefer originality, there is no crime to get an old bike on the road and getting used.

Grumps

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grumpy View Post
    On the forks? Yeah, I wouldn't paint the frame though.

As for your question, is this a crime?

Gees, it's not as if you've hacked off the cable guides and MIG welded a disc tab to it. A lot of people chuck their toys over things that can be swapped in 10 minutes with a 5mm allen key, and while we might all prefer originality, there is no crime to get an old bike on the road and getting used.

Grumps
    I definitely meant the forks only and hopefully will be able to hunt down a Specialized Direct Drive fork. Good advice though. Thank you for your input. This all helps putting things into perspective.

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    You have a Mountain Cat just sitting around the house?! My God, now that's some serious VRC stuff that few have. I haven't seen front SE's in quite some time, nice!

I have that same Special Ed frame btw, and the original fork too.

Ditch the seat and look for the proper fork, you may find one or another one from the big S that might be close.

Excellent score in my book, congrats.
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by unicrown junkie View Post
    You have a Mountain Cat just sitting around the house?! My God, now that's some serious VRC stuff that few have. I haven't seen front SE's in quite some time, nice!

I have that same Special Ed frame btw, and the original fork too.

Ditch the seat and look for the proper fork, you may find one or another one from the big S that might be close.

Excellent score in my book, congrats.
    The MC I bought on CL for $20 and thought I could use the parts someday. Thing was beat up but no dents. Thatís about the depth of stuff I have laying around other than a 1988 Rockhopper Comp in good condition but frame is too small and my sonís Bridgestone MB3 that he has out grown. The MB3 is very clean. When I have time Iím selling it to get him a bigger bike.
    The SE brakes were on the bike when I bought it - front and rear. They seem to work well but Iím not a fan of how they look.

Who is big S? Iíd like to see if he has what Iím looking for.

Thanks for the comments.

Sneaker man

Who is big S? Iíd like to see if he has what Iím looking for.
    The big S, also know as Special Ed, or "We're all lawyer-ed up and coming to get you" or "We just bought a patent this morning, now you're out of business"

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The big S, also know as Special Ed, or "We're all lawyer-ed up and coming to get you" or "We just bought a patent this morning, now you're out of business"
    Not sure what to make of this person. Sounds scary.

Sneaker man
    Not sure what to make of this person. Sounds scary.

haha, only if you're a small company

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

update

Made a couple changes just so I can go out and ride. Iím loving the feel of this bike.

Is this a crime?-new-fork-2.jpg
    Last edited by bp101; 07-01-2017 at 05:59 PM. Reason: forgot something

slower than you
    Made a couple changes just so I can go out and ride. Iím loving the feel of this bike.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new-fork-2.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	357.2 KB 
ID:	1144514
    Nailed the seat upgrade. The new paint on the fork looks okay, too. Nice work. That scratchy post gives me a headache, tho. And the seatclamp QR is on backwards, also aggravating my headache. Ride on!
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Nice! what are those brakes?, Pedersen SE?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rockychrysler View Post
    Nailed the seat upgrade. The new paint on the fork looks okay, too. Nice work. That scratchy post gives me a headache, tho. And the seatclamp QR is on backwards, also aggravating my headache. Ride on!
    Sorry to contribute to your headache. Thank you for pointing out the post and QR. Iím on it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jimPacNW View Post
    Nice! what are those brakes?, Pedersen SE?
    Thanks. The brakes are Pedersen SEís. The previous owner put those on. They seem to work fairly well. Iím not crazy about how they look.

mtbr member
    I have your fork n stuff.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I think it's pretty sweet!...I'd rock that bike all day!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbowho View Post
    I have your fork n stuff.
    What sort of digits am I looking at?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Kopiaw View Post
    I think it's pretty sweet!...I'd rock that bike all day!
    Thanks. Iím rockin it as often as i can.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    OP - put some feelers and ask this site. They move LOTS of vintage stuff...
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/579498092116390/
    (Not Affiliated)
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Cayenne_Pepa View Post
    OP - put some feelers and ask this site. They move LOTS of vintage stuff...
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/579498092116390/
    (Not Affiliated)
    Thanks - I just send a request to join the FB group.

mtbr member
    What sort of digits am I looking at?
    I don't know, just pm with an offer if you wish.

mtbr member
    B. Got your PM, the offer is fair. Tried to PM but subscription fails what ever that means. PM with cell, ill text pics. Funny thing about vintage stuff, we can't get near what old things are worth but it's cool to help someone else out that's excited about a new project. Guess that's for another thread.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Another fork question

For the sake of time and convenience, Iím using this 1988 Rockhopper Comp fork. Do you think there is a big enough difference between this and the original fork to pursue one?
    As you can probably tell, Iím on a limited budget.

Is this a crime?-rcfork.jpg

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    That fork isn't a very good match, those were the first generation of forks for the '88 RH Comp and they bent easily under load. If you can bump up to 1990 and any other model by them you're going to be a lot closer.

That said, excellent try and it's much better than many other choices. I have the same frame as you and if I didn't need the fork I'd send it to you for next to nothing.

You certainly deserve serious positive rep for the effort you have put in, good thread and many thanks for keeping up the VRC banner!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by unicrown junkie View Post
    That fork isn't a very good match, those were the first generation of forks for the '88 RH Comp and they bent easily under load. If you can bump up to 1990 and any other model by them you're going to be a lot closer.

That said, excellent try and it's much better than many other choices. I have the same frame as you and if I didn't need the fork I'd send it to you for next to nothing.

You certainly deserve serious positive rep for the effort you have put in, good thread and many thanks for keeping up the VRC banner!
    Ok. Thatís good to know. Being new to this I had no idea how hard it is to find a fork that matches. jimbowho was kind enough to offer his fork but I feel bad having him break up his bike.

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    Take Jimbo up on his offer, now that is a nice guy! I brazed a new seat tube in mine, so I'm not quite ready to give up this frame/fork combo after all the work I did putting a new tube in.