The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC

Coyote by Research Dynamics

Anyone rememer this one or have any info on it? I'm thinking of adding it to the stable since it needs a home and I always need ANOTHER bike.

Steve

Thumbs Up!
    Go for it! It looks almost NOS.
    "Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth"
    Mike Tyson

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eastcoaststeve
    Anyone rememer this one or have any info on it? I'm thinking of adding it to the stable since it needs a home and I always need ANOTHER bike.

Steve
    My guess is that the serial number will start with a "DS" Coyote and Research Dynamics were originally done by an outdoor store chain based in I beleive Boise. I ran into Vaughn a number of times in Taiwan back in the day. They had a lot of bikes produced at Dodsun hence the DS. They were the first 9000/9001 factory in Tawian long before Giant, Merida and Wheeler which had much bigger factories in the late 80's to mid 90's. Specialized, Iron Horse, Gary Fisher (Pre-Trek) and a number of others had bikes done there also. There quality was the best in Taiwan for years and their paint and graphic options were better than most factories too.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    I had a research dynamics fs coyote, frame was chromoly, I wish I hadn't gotten rid of it.
    Ride like a boss..... Single speed all mountain full suspension

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I had one that I bought at a sporting goods store back in '94. I think it was a ski company that was trying to broaden it range. It got me through a lot of drunken cross-campus rides for 5 years...

The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
    Holy grave digger...bumping a four year old post with no pictures...

Steve

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eastcoaststeve View Post
    Holy grave digger...bumping a four year old post with no pictures...

Steve
    who gives a *****. if the mods didn't want the thread to ever get bumped, they would of locked it, or deleted it.
    Ride like a boss..... Single speed all mountain full suspension

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007
    Here's a pic for you Steve, saw this one locked up outside MEC in Toronto on Sunday - guess we know where Klein got the idea for Dolomite paint from now...

5 is the old new black; 6 is the new new black...

mtbr member
    Looking at those parts I would say that Kleins paint was a few years prior.

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007
    If you mean the low-profile cantilevers, I would guess they were a later edition. Frame and most other parts look 89-91ish to me. Maybe didn't actually pre-date the Dolomite Attitude (first seen 1990 IIRC) but I would guess appeared in parallel?

I believe the company only existed 1985-1994, but produced amongst many other models an Easton tubed Ultralite frame and a Titanium frame (the Ultimate?).
    5 is the old new black; 6 is the new new black...

slow
    Looks like Mountain LX drivetrain on the Coyote photographed above. That was only done one year IIRC, and would have been '89 or '90? I think those front brakes are Scott SE cantilevers.

I sold RD in my ski / bike shop from '91 - '93 and the pictured bike pre-dates what we carried.